1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New plasma - new DVD player?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by EffTee, Mar 2, 2003.

1. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,

I've recently splashed out on a 433MXE and am currently using it with my trusty old Sony 725 via component.

The image quality is very good, but I'm wondering if it could be better. I know that there has been much talk recently about progressive scan capable players, particularly for PAL. The Arcam DV88 plus and Denon 2800 have both had superb reviews.

Would it be worth me shelling out for one of these players and would I see a lot of difference in image quality?

What I'm tending to notice with the current set-up is that I'm not seeing very much detail in dark areas. Would feeding the screen a progressive image improve this - I'm not sure how good the Pioneers build in de-interlacer is supposed to be. I understand that blacks and shades of aren't a strong point of plasmas.

The other option is to take the HCPC route - perhaps using a Shuttle. For the money spent on one of these players, that's an option.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

EffTee

2. chris21

chris21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi EffTee

Just thought I'd reply because I'm in exactly the same position i.e. 433mxe and 725 and thinking about the same players.

I was interested that you described the picture as very good. I'm pretty disappointed with the DVD picture. In particular I get a lot of fuzziness and digital interference. One DVD that springs to mind as being particularly poor is minority report.

The fuzziness seems to vary by scene and I usually resort to adjusting the digital noise reduction setting on the plasma.

I know that its the DVD player because I get none of the interference from sky via a Tivo.

Are you getting similar effects or is my 725 just a bad one?

Chris

3. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I also use the Sony 725 via component to my Panny plasma and i'm very impressed with the PQ.

As for Minority Report i seem to remember that this was filmed in a washed out grainy way so I don't think its a good disc for testing picture quality.

Toonarmy

4. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be interested to know that the film print of Minority Report was given some sort of bleach bath!That's what gives it,it's unique look.Not strictly on topic I know,but relevant to the above comments.

5. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi. New guy here. After a long stint of saving I have purchaced Panasonics 42" plasma, and Denons DVD-3800. I am extremely happy with the picture. After seeing progressive scan in action, I don't think I will be able to go back.
    I have watched Minority Report on this screen, and I agree that it should not be used as a reference for picture quality. The film has a deliberate dirty/grainy look to it. The best picture quality I have seen so far out of my DVD's is from Lord Of The Ring's. It is perfect in my own oppinion.

6. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    lord of the rings has also had its colour enhanced it shows you on the 4 disk version.good looking disk though but not accurate colours

7. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Probably the best option is to see if I can get either of the players on a home trial from my local AV shop.

As to the 725 and interference - I've never seen any. I've got Minority Report, so I'll take a look at it during the week. I tend to watch DVDs with DNR set to off.

Watching LOTR and Toy Story, the image was so good you really felt as through you were being pulled into the film. The disk that I felt I was losing detail on the darker areas was The Count of Monte Cristo. The pallette was very muted, with lots of dark clothing and shadowy scenes. Many of the dark areas appeared to have little or no detail. Anybody else seen this one?

EffTee

8. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have the same display, and just a few weeks ago changed my dvd payer from a sony 735, to an arcam dv27, the picture is in another league (allthough the 735 was v good) first thing you notice is depth, detail,and a much more cinematic feel..... but the sound also, blows the sony away, still plenty of grunt, but the musical scores, well, get a demo of lets say a dv88, and you will see what i mean, its night and day folks....... hope this helps a little..

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    EffTee
    I would put Arcam, Denon and Pioneer to the test and select the one you see personally better. In my case among the 3 I went for the Pio DV-757Ai player. There is a specific design consideration in the 757 for plasma screens. It matches very well MXE and HDE owners!

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    If you're buying the MXE - great choice, all the best people have one - remember you have the DVI option. I posted some time ago that I compared DVD performance from a PC via the DVI, with prog scan via component from a Denon 3800. Close run thing but the PC just won by a whisker. However the Denon 3800 is a lot easier to use - HCPCs can be a nightmare to set up and operate.

If you fancy the HCPC route, you'll get excellent results from the 433MXE thanks to the digital input.

11. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    A word of warning here (and I haven't checked the specs of the plasma screen so this may not be relevant). If the DVI input does not support HDCP (High Definition Digital Copy Protection) then it is or will be pretty useless as you won't be able to use it with DVI or HDMI outputs on future DVD players.

John Dawson (Arcam)

12. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    DVI on the 5002 card does not accept HDCP, but the new card does I think (only costs best part of £2k). Gordon of Convergent AV can confirm.

The 5002 DVI connection only talks to PCs. It won't for example take the DVI output from the Iscan Ultra:mad:

So about £3.5k for the plasma; £1.5k or £2k for a new card; and god knows how much for a DVI enabled DVD player.:rolleyes:

13. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I really appreciate the replies. I hadn't previously considered the DV-757 so I'll check it out. It's also interesting to hear that there is more depth and detail available from other players.

I did briefly try out the DVI option on the 5002 card using my PC and powerDVD - I have an Nvidia card with DVI out. I'd expected it to bowl me over, but was a bit disappointed on first viewing. I know that it's important to get the set-up right so I don't intend to draw any special conclusions from the experiment at this stage. I am tempted by the potential of a HCPC - particularly as I've already got a network connection in the front room for the XBox :)

Given me plenty to think about!

EffTee