1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Plasma LG 42PX4DV (PX4RV)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rc211v, May 17, 2005.

1. rc211v

rc211v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy the Pana 42PA50 but i saw this and I think this is the one

It's already on sale for the same price of the PA50.

Info on the LG UK site:

"The plasma TV unveiled in this ceremony was the 42PX4RV model, which boasts the highest picture quality in its tier with LG’s innovative technologies, such as 10,000:1 contrast and 1,500cd brightness. The 42PX4RV also comes with the film filter, which eliminates glare and double images, and the new XD engine, which converts analog signals to HD grade picture quality."

Plus Hdmi, double tuner and all the connections I need.

2. pitpete

pitpete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.d...tId=01&modelCodeDisplay=42PX4DV&model=NOTHING

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    'fraid I'd still expect the Panasonic to knock spots off it. 10 000:1 is even more of a nonsense that 5000:1, which in turn, in the intresests of fairness, is just a bit more ludicrous than 4000:1. Real world measured contrast, the PA50 comes out about twice as high as a PX11. The brightness is scarily high for a plasma, the px11 is prone to image retention already. And LG's marvellous technology, of course it makes analogue tv into HD picture quality. I smell farmyards.

4. jondarren

jondarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Likewise, i also saw this Plasma and was blown away by the specs for the price. I am taking delivery in a couple of weeks and will be reporting on its quality and all other things AV!

I'm hoping it comes through and delivers the goods, as a few posts here on AV forums seem to think it might not live up to its quoted ability.

Jon........

5. rc211v

rc211v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. Often repeated here. You just don't get world beating performance for 2 1/2 pence, in the real world it does not happen. This might well offer value for money, ie it's cheaper than the competition, just don't expect it to be better.

7. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW is right to take the specs with a pinch of salt, but maybe not to be so outright dismissive of the overall performance. Two points readily spring to mind:

1) The filter may genuinely improve the black level of the screen - and a small improvement to the black level makes a big difference to the contrast ratio. 10,000 to 1 may be a bit silly, but there could still be a real (measurable) significant improvement over previous screens.

2) The brightness is ridiculously high for most circumstances, but on the evidence of previous screens, there would be a 'low power' mode that cuts the brightness dramatically. Yes, it means that in real use it makes a mockery of the figures being quoted, but it does mean that you don't have to be scared of the brightness level.

As is always the case, the proof will be in the seeing...

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The last statement is very important! The other evidence of previous screens is that LG have a policy of releasing models before software development is complete, and issuing constant firmware upgrades in response to customer complaints about picture quality. I'm not comfortable they've got it right yet on the PX11, quite a few people are still unhappy with the scart picture. Of course for a set intended for HDTV the digital inputs are far more important, but SD is with us for 10 years more yet. This is another w-vga panel I see, so 'hd compatible' not 'hd ready'. I reckon there will be huge price drops on this once the new Panasonics are released, with HD resolution and true HD ready, for only another couple of hundred quid. The SD versions are likely to be competing on price.

9. rc211v

rc211v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know MAW, you only sell panasonic!?

The problem is that you always forget that LG uses

panasonic technology (knowledge) to build the screens

10. jondarren

jondarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely agree with you that all specs should be taken with a pinch of salt, especially with anything electrical.

However, as this is to be my first Plasma, i will not have any past models to base my comparison on apart from what the stores show you. This LG model meets my needs for not only specs but for budget, so to me its a winner. Buying into the Plasma market is a hard task. Choosing when to make the jump can be tricky but i guess you just gotta do it. There are always new model on the horizons with bigger and better specs and of course the prices drop dramatically too.

I think the new LG 42PX4RV model will certainly be an improvement to older ones and as this model has the HDMI connectors for HD broadcasting, it has a certain amount of future proofing built in. I'll be able to make firmware updates and change my HD set top box to get the best picture available as things change.

I'm looking forward to my first experience of Plasma. How was everyone's first time with their plasmas?

Jon.........

11. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will this LG be user updateable?! If so, it's a sure winner with me.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Previous ones they send an engineer round when youbitch about the picture quality.
    BTW I sell Pioneer and Fujitsu too! Don't call me narrow-minded! LG pay royalties for 2nd hand Panasonic technology apparently. Wonder why they are able to get so much more performance out of the hardware they build?

13. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - Film filter => WOW!
    - 250 watt => amazing!
    - Hdmi => great
    - Contrast ratio => yeah right...

I have high hopes for this one personally, but waiting to see it in person off course...especially the film filter is pleasing, i hate the plasma glass plate, i'm also really interested to hear how much noise the plasma makes...

14. migas

migas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the whole point! HD compatible, not HD ready. What's the point for HDMI if the is an SD resolution plasma??? Just marketing...

15. rc211v

rc211v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer to buy a good SD (cheaper) that I'll use for 4 or 5 years,

instead of the first generation of HD (expensive) that will become obsolet

when high definition is used in all sources of video

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There is something in what you say. There might be something worth watching in 4-5 years in hi def! Lots of folks get far too hung up on HD, given the lack of anything to watch. You've got to be well loaded to worry about it yet. If you have the kind of money for the early adopter approach, obviously things are different. Personally I don't even have sky, let alone aspirations for HD. 'Spose I'd consider Euro1080 for demo purposes, it's free to air. Load of old cobblers on air mind you.

17. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it's not strictly necessary, but it will still be beneficial to connect a Playstation 3 via HDMI (if you intend to buy one next year).

And once you have a Playstation 3, the world of Blu-Ray movies opens up to you. So it may not be hugely relevant to an SD resolution screen, but if they include additional features / content that you want? And presumably you want to keep discs that you buy - so what in a few years you buy an HD screen? But how many Blu-Ray discs can you use if you don't use the HDMI output?

It's ridiculous to suggest that HDMI is a critical feature for SD screens, and you shouldn't buy a crap screen just to get a HDMI input, but there are good reasons for a HDMI input even if you don't have HD resolution.

18. RDV

RDV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everybody. A first time poster here.

I read all the posts here to help me decide whether or not to get the PX11 (thank you all for helping me make the decision), and went off to the store here in Amsterdam to get it. Turns out, the PX11 is being discontinued by LG (hence the increasingly lower prices) and is being replaced by the 42PX?DV series. So, many questions and demonstrations later, I walked out with the 42PX4DV.

It was delivered today, and wow!!!!!!!!............it is awesome!!!

Hooked it up (Sky Digital to AV1, VCR->DVD->AV2, Audio Out -> AMP) and have absolutely no problems. PQ out the box was good, but with small adjustments to colour, contrast etc.....its now fantastic. Did not even need to go into the Service Menu.

The LG rep told me that this model was released as an enhancement of the PX11, and with a host of other features that you can read about on the LG website............and I must say, all my fears have been proven unfounded.

19. Stylezz

Stylezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey RDV, i'm from belgium ;)

I'm surprised you got the new LG this quick?? the word is just out there on the street and you have one already?

There still is one contender to be released with these kind of specs (10000:1 etc) and I haven't heard/seen many people talking about it; the new samsung

Anybody with usefull coments on that screen? I was certain to buy a pana 500 untill I came across that samsung, the specs promise more, and heck, if in reality it is only as good as the pana, it will still kick ass, and for me, the design works far better than the pana, plus it's cheaper...

20. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the model the have in Comets?

21. Ati007

Ati007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hy Guys
    I just bought this plasma today and it's just fantastic.
    Cost me 2200euro.

22. Athyla

Athyla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a grave digger :D it was no use to open a new topic so here it goes.

I've the possibility to buy this plasma (px4rv) for €1,999.00 (about £1360.50)

As it was said before, it has 2 tunners and eye inteligent for automatic image tuning for diferent light conditions.

It has 852 x 480 resolution, so aparently it isn't HD Ready but they say it is HD compatible. In the store I saw it, it was connected to a LG prototype simulator for HD Signal and the image quality was very good.

I'm not rich :oops: and my limit is arround €2 000 (£1360). What is the best choice for this range of price ? Any panny ? Or this LG ?

Cheers :hiya:

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd guess it's the cheapest HD compatible screen that actually works. You will end up spending more money on a panasonic. Some consider it money well spent. Have you seen the guy on the PX11 thread? His screen went U.S. and after inspection, was told LG had deleted the parts to repair it!!!!!! After 4 months! He has to have a new screen. Ask yourself how you might feel after 13 months, when Currys or similar will undoubtedly wash their hands of you. £1360 might not seem so cheap after replacing it.

24. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Have you seen the guy on the PX11 thread"

One swallow does not make a Summer, wacking one manufacturer because of a "lemon", when most have a lemon at some time or other, no one is perfect not even Panasonic. ;).

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Colindale, indeed one swallow does not make a summer, I could not agree more. Read some more LG material, and you'll find what amounts to a trail of disaster! And another one yesterday. Yes there are happy LG owners, doubtless they are in a large majority. It must be obvious though, from just the info on this forum that you have a very measurable risk of a lemon from LG, and it's very very much higher than other manufacturers.

26. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "and it's very very much higher than other manufacturers". :boring:

Show me the proof Mr Maw. ( Iv'e found two or three so far )

I had an disagreement with someone else about LG, and did some research.
    I personnally have not found a person who has had a problem with LG products.

They turned over 38 billion in 2004. and employ 66.000 people.

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Read 'new plasma Rz42PX11' thread then. There are about 20 returns itemised in there, plus the 2 recent ones here.

28. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark Dew comments, ”Plasma will be a big focus for LG this year and I intend to take LG to the number one position in the UK market. LG has the perfect line up of plasma display products to conquer all target markets.”.

http://www.lgelectronics.co.uk/ir/h...RCH_MENU&seq=5109&page=8&target=news_read.jsp

I would assume from that statement that LG sells quite a few thousand Plasma's in the U.K. market.

So 20 odd in many thousands is IMO good odds against getting a dud. :smashin:

LG Global Market Share (as of end-2004)
    Plasma TVs (No. 2, 13%), PDP modules (No. 2, 22%), LCD modules (No. 2, 10%), MDP TVs (No. 3, 13%), and LCD TVs (No. 5, 8%)

Reference: http://www.lge.com/about/corporate/html/business_digitaldisplay.jsp

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Of course the 20 odd are just the forum members, I guess a couple of hundred have been bought by people who have read the forum, assuming they don't all post positives, I guess everyone whinges if something's wrong!! So the failure4 rate is likely to be around 10%. Unacceptable with a capital U. I have some backup of this, though I admit no written chart, from my local richer sounds, who also sell LG.

30. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I was thinking that this topic is about the new 42PX4 from LG and not about the old px11 one.
    Anyway I am happy owner of a LG42px3rv and I had chance to "test" the LG service here in The NEtherlands.
    The TV is great,but when I switch it off (stand-by) there is a very soft high pitch sound coming.So I did call LG costumer service and after few days(today) they sent me a technician.

Well the guy said that there is nothing to worry about if I want he will spray some plastic spray over the stand-by transformator ?!?
    Anyway he did it and now the sound is gone.I need to say that this sounds was only when the TV is in stand-by mode,when is ON there is no sounds or at least no rare sounds:)

So my experience with LG is great so far.
    And once again the new models are real improvement over the old px11-I think LG learned from the past mistakes.

Maybe in UK the service is not well organized,but then this is a local problem as in other countries the service is great.