1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Plasma Install - Need Help Hiding Cables.....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Daipac, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

I have just recently bought and wall mounted my new Panasonic 37PV500 in my bedroom. I have NTL digital, Xbox and PS2 connected to it with the Xbox 360 to come when it is released.

I want to hide all of the wires but I am unsure as to how to go about doing this. I have been looking around the forums for inspiration and I seem to have a few options:

1) Channeling the cables into the wall - Seen a good example of this here, http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240431, and I think this looks the neatest of the 3 options. The problem is that it is definite and if I do move then I lose all the cables in the wall. Not a huge problem I guess.

This option will be very messy and unfortunately we have just finished decorating this room, but I am happy to create a bit more mess if it means it looks great !

2) Building a plasterboard surround - After looking at this install, http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1837097&postcount=2156, I am thinking about this option to create a 'frame' around the plasma so that all the cables can run behind it and they can also be rescued if I do move.

3) Using trunking to hide the wires - the easiest option of the 3 but I don't think this is an option I would choose as I think it looks a little cheap.

Here are some images of the plasma as it is now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe I need to hide 2 SCART, 1 XBOX HD COMPONENT, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI and 1 POWER CABLE.

I am open to suggestions as to the best way to do this.

Cheers for any help,

Dai

2. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I would say buy a corner A/v rack for all your equipment, then move all the plug sockets to come in behind where this will be (to keep everything looking neat). Then chase the wall either straight down and left or at an angle so the cables come out close to where the plugs will be.

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I like the idea of building the false wall, less mess and not as permanent, but that first one sure does look good. :thumbsup:

4. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know Mal, the first is nice but I think when the second one is finished, it may just have the edge! :smashin:

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you do this, make sure you go down and to the left and don't go diagonal as this is a definate no-no with electrical cables which should always be vertical in a wall.

John

6. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Does this only apply with the power cable ? What about the component, vga, etc. cables ? Can these go diagonally ?

If not, my cables are going to be too short. I will have problems as I am using the Xbox HD kit, can I just get longer component cables to connect to the connection box that comes with this kit ?

I will also need a longer PS2 cable and VGA cable if they cannot go diagonally.

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    You could go diagonal with the video cables as no one is going to do themselves any damage if the cut through them although I think it's still preferable to go vertical if you can.

John

8. louishm

louishm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    depending on how good your diy skills are, an option woul be to build a false wall under the plasma and incorporate an av stand within the false wall, this way all cables are hidden and your av equipment will look nice & neat. just an idea.

9. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Daipac, how deep is your largest piece of kit?
    If you can get away with less than 26cm (inc rear connections) a very cheap soultion would be to use Ikea Lack shelving (link here)in conjunction with a similar false wall section as prev described.

What I would do is build a frame section underneath the plasma, having a width slightly narrower, plasterboard over it and then fit 1 or 2 of the lack shelves. They have a great mounting bracket that is more than adequate for the weight and will give a nice 'floating' look.

A variation would be to go floor to ceiling and make it a bit wider than the plasma, this would allow you to incorporate the plug sockets as well. If you can get away with 1 piece of drywall, you don't have to worry about skimming or filling the seams.

10. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    whats on the other side of the wall? your bedroom,kitchen,a hallway ,if so drill a hole behind the screen where it can not be seen,push the cabels through to next door and drill another hole at the bottom and pop them back through.
    it may be easier to hide the cabels in the room next door.

11. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    1) Channeling the cables into the wall - Seen a good example of this here, http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240431, and I think this looks the neatest of the 3 options. The problem is that it is definite and if I do move then I lose all the cables in the wall. Not a huge problem I guess.

nice idea but pain in the rear end when one of your cables goes wrong :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Not if you put trunking into the wall and the run the cables through the trunking. Make it big enough so that you can, if needed, pull the cables through so, if you have to move, you don't lose them.

John

13. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

All well and good if you don’t have corners in your trunking and it’s not the VGA cable that goes. I did all the necessary precautions plenty of room for extra cables but never realized that the end of the VGA cable needed so much room to bend round a 90 degree corner. Never mind accidents happen

Wandgrudd

14. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    SG, the largest piece of kit is my NTL box. Not sure on depth of this.

I like the idea of having some floating shelves but I think with all the Xbox and PS2 controllers, it could become very untidy as you cannot hide these.

I want to store all the equipment in a cupboard where the table is in the photos as I will be able to put all the clutter away in there then and maybe even have some effect lighting incorporated. This is my aim.

Which leads me onto this.............

the klang, thanks for that. That is a VERY good suggestion because behind that wall is my smallest bedroom which is currently a walk-in wardrobe and they are cupboards against the back of that wall so I could run the cables through the wall under the mount, along the wall in the back bedroom and then make a hole to pass them thru behind the unit which holds all the equipment ?

That is looking like a very good idea.

:thumbsup:

I am using the Xbox HD kit, can I just replace the component cables that plug into the box that comes with this kit ? Because the cables that came with it are not long enough. I will also need a longer PS2 scart cable and VGA cable, around 3m in length. I bought a 3m SCART cable initially so that will be long enough.

I am liking this idea the more and more I think about it. I could even fit a surround around the hole for wires at both points so that it looks neater too. It also means that if I ever move I can get rescue the cables very easily and then just fill the holes in with concrete.

FANTASTIC ! Thanks for all your help and suggestions, it is very much appreciated !

:smashin:

15. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like the perfect solution. Good luck with it and don't forget to post the pictures! :smashin:

16. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Yes you can, the cables that go into the hidef pack are just normal component cables.

17. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Will do SG. Hoping to do this in the week or at least the weekend so I will get some photos up as soon as it is done.

Does anybody know any good websites for cables at a good price ? Need 3m cables for VGA, component and PS2 scart.

18. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for that inzaman !

:smashin:

19. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 5m length flat gold plated Component cable and a 3M Gold plated fully wired flat scart. Both were bought from ebay (links here and here) I subsequently decided they were too long and bought shorter versions to keep cable lengths to a minimum. I find them to be excellent quality cables (inexpensive rather than cheap) You can have both of these for £18 inc postage if you like. PM me if you are interested. (I have another identical 3M Scart as well)