1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New plasma - Hitachi 400e or new Panny ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by willp[aice, Jul 8, 2003.

1. willp[aice

willp[aice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all -

got 3k to spend... and Richersounds have MPA400e for £2499... difficult to resist...

The Hitachi is 1024x1024 - but HOW noisy is the fan ?

IF i go for the Panasonic - is the TH42PW6B the model to go for...

I need High Res (that's why I like the Hitachi)... and only want the panel, no media box or speakers

I will be feeding the panel with Svideo to start with as I have all my sources switched through my AV amp.

Has anyone compared video delay times on these panels...

Also would the PW5B at reduced cost (maybe as low as £2200 ) be a good buy

( watch NTL digital and DVD's mostly )

Should I be looking at any other panels ? (can't afford Pioneer)

many thanks for any replies !

W.

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Can't comment on the Panny, but the 400E gives a truly fantastic pic on a Hi Def tape - see a previous thread. (using the film "Castaway".) This really puts the panel to the test. Also found you can run it on "Life Extension 2" mode which increases the panel life by up to 67% - (see the graph on the Hitachi site) without sacrificing brightness to any real extent. No duff pixels- only needed to turn the colour down, and it was pretty well ready to go.
    Fan is just about noticeable only if the sound is turned right down - from about 8 feet away. I use component I/P for Freeview, Sky and DVD, "S" for VCRs. (Hi Def goes in place of Sky) That covers the 4 available I/P's. Sync. delay is taken up in the Denon amp. I can recommend it.
    If only they would show Hi Def in the showrooms....

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can comment on my experience with the Hitachi 42PD3000, the version with the Tuner Box etc.

There is something though worth emphasising that youre probably aware of, that is the display has a 1024x1024 resolution, but it is an ALIS display, basically the picture that you will see is an Interlaced - Not Progressive picture, the maximum number of lines of vertical lines of resolution displayed at an instant is 512, not 1024. Though this is still more lines of vertical resolution than the Panny (480) you are looking at.

This may/may not be an issue, but worth mentioning.

It was one of the issues for me, due to my NTSC/PAL progressive source, which was in itself relativly expensive. Basically feeding the Hitachi a progressive signal meant that it would by pass the displays deinterlacer, but would then be upconverted to 1024i (interlaced) prior to being displayed. Consequently, I was not getting the true benefit of my DVD player, hence it didnt really suit my requirments.

An additional, much more troubling issue, was the problems my display had with dark scenes. In particular, constant black/near black images. The display had issues with consistancy, in that a plain black screen, would be displayed as patchy - some areas of the screen much darker, others much lighter. This proved a particlaur nuiscance as its was superimposed upon any DVD sources I watched that had darker scenes, such as Aliens/Blade 2.

The problem was reported and Hitachi not only sent out Endeva (1st/2nd line support) whom they outsouced plasma support to, but also sent out their own engineers, as apparently this had not been reported before.

The whole episode resulted in Hitachis acknowledgment of the issue and my display being replaced FIVE times!, without resolution, thankfully though I recieved a full refund. Must say their support was very good at all times, perhaps a bad batch?, I dont know.

The only thing I would suggest is to view the display in as dark an enviorment as possible, with an all black screen, just to check prior to purchasing. If youre satisfied the screen is not displaying a fault of this nature, and happy with all other aspects then go for it.

4. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if this is the same as 'power mode' on the pioneer plasma's

i run mine on power mode 2 which i too would assume is using far less power and consequently will extend the life of the plasma.

This setting I also find is the best for image quality particularly in my enviroment anyway.

5. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brianzdo,

Power Mode 2 on MXE does indeed use less power, also lessens the chances of any screenburn (phosphors get used less intensly), consequently does extend life cycle of display.

Also mode 2 is much more accurate (gamma curve) - hence tracks better.

However for me I found it just to dim, hence use power mode one, though calibrated by Gordon.

6. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Where can you get the Panny for £2200 ??

7. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think that was just speculation.

Nexnix have it for just under 2.6k inc vat and delivery, I think. That's the cheapest I've seen by a couple of hundred.