1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Plasma etc and need some advice please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Leto, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Leto

Leto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    This is my first post so excuse the stupidity of the questions!! I'm a wreckless amature at the AV so fell free to have a good laugh!

I'm just getting in a Hitachi PD5200 (42"), Sky+, Jamo DVR50/A355PDD, Panasonic DMR-E55 Recorder (on the basis I can use the HD Sky+ to record instead of getting a Pan with a HD for more bread), going to stick on the X-Box and PS2 , oh... and I have a Quintro+ RGB Scart Switch Box -for 5 scarts. Will be getting a Themescene H56 (how much better is this than the 30 ?) pre-Xmas when the funds top up (hopefully!!)

So, the questions:

Can I record easliy from the Sky+ HD to the Panny 55?

If I upgrade the Sky+ HD to say a 120Mb does the Sky+ system recognise the extra disk space available (told you it was gonna be a daft question)- is this shown on screen anywhere.i.e space/time available.

With all the kit, some will be linked RGB Scart and some component
    anyway..thinking of this route at the moment:

Anyone have a similar set up to this as the 5200 only has one Scart...

Jamo DV--- Component to the Hitachi

Sky+ ----RGB Scart to the Quintro

Panny 55 ----RGB Scart to Quintro

Xbox & PS2----RGB Scart to Quintro

Then in a few months a DLP projector -component to into DVR (9m cable)

Appreciate any comment you may have. Hello and thanks!

Leto

:rtfm:

2. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just out of interest what made you choose the hitachi rather than say a PWD6 or viera?
    I have seen this hitachi screen and a viera together and there's no comparison, the hitachi blacks look quite dull grey compared to the panny imho.

I have a panny55, great choice, if you can use component connection just stunning quality, don't know about your HD query though.

personally in your situation, I would go for a PWD6 with a 1 x component and 2 x scart modules,
    run your 55 or the jamo (btw can you rout the audio from the 55 to the jamo system? any optical inputs etc?) through the component, run sky+ through scart no1 and run everything else through the quintro into scart no2.

just a thought, Spook

3. Leto

Leto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks spook

I chose the Hitachi after reading unpteen reviews over the last few months in umpteen mags. I must say it was pretty much a coin toss between this and the PWD6....and with prices a few hundred quid lower now than the 5200 you have a very good point. I wonder was the Hitachi running component when you saw it?I agree with you about the viera, saw one running component via a Bose 28 system the other week,excellent picture, but I was so tight with budgets that I made a choice that hopefully will be cool.

Nice to here about the 55--

seems the Jamo it does have optical....

http://www.jamo.com/prodtext/SCAFF9D8691884D48CEE610A6B20BA1B8B520030624124604.pdf

Does this make a big difference? and also (excuse my ignorance here) when I want to run the projector through via component how much different will RGB Scart be when viewing the plasma.

OR

If I run component from the Jamo to the Plasma, will I still be able to input component from the projector (i.e. I think the Jamo only has one set of components ...presumably one in one out?! Then I'll run the rest RGB scart.

(My first set up so hopefull it won't be to shabby)

Thanks again spook for the advice.

Cheers

Leto

4. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how about running the component from the jamo to the projector,
    then run the component from the panny 55 into the plasma and link the audio to the jamo, that way you can use component for viewing DVD's on either system and still use the jamo for sound.

spook

5. Leto

Leto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one! Does the Jamo have two good sound inputs?? I'll check it out. also is the 55 as good as the Jamo for playing DVDS?

6. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the panny 55 is Awsome for playing DVD's, I have mine connected via component to my PWD6 set to progressive scan and the PQ is flawless, just stunning

Spook

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you not worried about the loud Buzz that some Hitachis do then!

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Leto,

Been away for a few days so missed this thread until today. Others have given you good advice but not all your quesations have been answered.

"Can I record easily from the Sky+ HD to the Panny 55?"

Yes, but whilst transferring stuff to the 55 you can't do anything else with Sky+.

"If I upgrade the Sky+ HD..."

Until recently upgrading the Sky HD resulted in the used / unused counter being wrong. A recentsoftware upgrade seems to have fixed this. The used / unused shows on-screen when you go into the Sky+ Planner menu.

"With all the kit, some will be linked RGB scart and some component..."

Best advice here depends on whether you are really set on the Hitachi. The 5200 looks great if fed top-notch signals - preferably high def. Anything else and it can be a bit iffy. The PW6, recommended by others is much kinder to poorer signals. If you went for the PW6+ I would ignore the advice about getting the Scart board. You get better quality using the VGA input (which comes as standard, no need for any extra board) and instead get a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter. Feed all your RGB outputs into the Quintro, out to the VGA converter then into the plasma VGA socket. The output of the 55 can either go RGB into the Quintro or component direct to the plasma, but if you do this you will need a component board for the plasma.

Trying to get my head round why you are getting the Jamo as well as the Panny 55?? The 55 will knock spots off the Jamo as far as DVD playback is concerned, so why not get a decent receiver to do the audio (make sure you get one with adjustable global audio delay) and leave video to the Panny?

And yes, some of the Hitachis buzz!

Piers

Home Cinema Engineering
    www.homecinemaengineering.com

9. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to agree with Piers, if you havent already bought the jamo, I would look into a good Av separates system for the audio, even on a small budget say £300-£500 you can get pretty good system if you look out for the bargains.

Spook

10. Leto

Leto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Thanks once again for the information and advice. Great forum!

Started putting everything together yesterday and here's a few comments:

OK...not in any particular order....

How do I get the upgrade for Sky+ to recognise the extra HD space please?
    No panic on this.

I got a good deal on the Jamo 355 system that include the DVR50 so I got the Panny as the best (and least expensive) DVR I could find...no need for a a 85 or 100, as Sky+ is going in next week...the Panny cost me £200

"The output of the 55 can either go RGB into the Quintro or component direct to the plasma, but if you do this you will need a component board for the plasma."

Piers...I presume you mean if I'd bought the PW6 and not the 5200.

I've done this so far.... (waiting for a Triskom wall to load everything onto)...

Set up the three front speakers and the Sub and linked the DV50 via progressive to the Hitachi with Ixos XHV80 leads...and the quality is excellent, the sound (and the rears won't be in place of a week or so as the wooden floor is being laid with cables underneath) is fantastic.

The only buzz I can hear (so far) is from the Jamo in quiet scenes --read this in another forum here as well, sounds like a fan...will investigate

None of my friends or family are into Home Cinema (they will be!!!) so I read as many mags as I could over the last 3-4 months and made some decisions on price and performance accross a large section of articles and tests. Everyone has their favourite and without having them all in one room (or affording them all!) and without having joined here first (UUmmm...next time I choose a helicopter...) and being a novice when it comes to separates etc its damned confusing out there to now where ya got the right or ya got the wrong gear...

I must say at the moment I'm delighted with what I have....I do take on board the why the panny and the why 50 and will compare pictures and report back when I'm sure of the results between the 2 DV's.

Ordered everything online. Only people who let me down were (so far!) http://www.hifileads.co.uk who I spoke to, got a good deal on the cables, sounded an OK bloke, told him it was urgent, said they'd sent it, then said they hadn't then said the post office had lost it, then I said thanks cancel it.

Oh and is it me or are Sevenoakes doing their best not to sell product when you visit them?? Cheer up fellas -please!!!

Q. Is it better to feed the Sky+ to the Quintro (RGB Scart + optical to Jamo) --then Quintro to Jamo and then via Progressive (already linked of course) to the 5200? Or use spoks suggestion

When I get the projector I'll link it directly to the Hitachi with component....so high quality signal should be fine.

Give you some idea, moved into the new house 2 months ago (got a 16 x 16 ft viewing room)...rented our old one fully furnished so I've been watching a 49 quid 14" colour portable from Currys. Now, anything looks good after that!!]

Thanks again...any other hints/tips/suggestions greatfully recieved.

Leto :thumbsup:

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Leto,

Sorry, I hadn't realised that you had already got the Hitachi - thought you were still trying to decide between it and the PW6, so forget my comment about the component board.

Upgarding Sky+ hard drive. Haven't done it myself but from what I have read elsewhere you simply remove the existing drive, replace it with the bigger one (think it has to be a Maxtor drive but not certain) power up the box and it automatically recognises it as a larger drive and the free / used indicator works as it should. You need a torx screwdriver (No 10 I seem to remember) to get into the box without damaging the screws.

I doubt whether the Jamo will convert the RGB interlaced signal coming from the Sky+ to progressive even though it will allow you to input with scart RGB and output as component.

What cables have you been let down over? I've got all the usual ones in stock.

Glad to hear that you are pleased with the kit. Welcome to the wonderful world of home cinema!

Piers
    www.homecinemaengineering.com

12. Leto

Leto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Piers

I went to the local Sevenoakes to ge the component leads I mentioned I'd got let down over, hence the "cheer up Sevenoakes" comment on my previous post. The progressive does make a difference when compared to RGB Scart...I am impressed.

Think I'll connect the Sky+ to the Quintro and then Optical to the Jamo.

I wish I'd installed a system like this a while ago as it's a great family experience....should be even madder when (few months time?) I sort the projector as well for the same room...

There is a buzz from the 5200 but as its 15-16 ft from the viewing area It's barely audible.

Cheers

:smashin: