New Plasma - Dead pixels. :(

SlingShotUK

Hi guys,

I have just had my Samsung PS50A556S replaced today due to a faulty screen alignment problem but was depressed to turn the new one on and see dead pixels.

There are about 3 light ones at various points in the screen that are acceptable but about a cm above the bottom right hand corner is a group of 4 dead pixels - 2 purple, 2 red. These are noticable when a light source is playing (at least to me).

What do you think I should do on this? Any idea if Samsung will replace a set based on this many dead pixels? In the manual it states that cell defects have 'no impact on the performance of the set', so not sure if they are saying it's not covered. I bought the set from Currys.

Would be a shame to get another replacement as this one so far seems better than the first but I can see the dead pixels nagging at me over time, if you know what I mean.
When I first turned the set on there was another dead pixel in the center left position which flashed purple but then went, so is there are chance the others will and is there anything I can do to 'encourage' them to clear? The bottom right ones seem pretty solid.. :(

Syphonic

Call Currys, I think most stores will replace this out of good faith even if it technically isn't covered by the warranty (unless they cover 99.9999% of the screen or something). As far as I am concerned it is an unacceptable fault and does affect performance.

SlingShotUK

can you get interference at all, a station that is not tuned in, through a video for example if this set does not have an analogue tuner, the same as screen retention this may free them up for you, or if you can connect it to your pc there is a special program for this, i will try to find the link.http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor
Hey there,

Thanks for that - I hadnt thought of the white noise idea.. Good one.

I did find jscreenfix while searching around for something and I'm going to give it a go. I'm just wondering whether it will work as it seems to talk about LCD's being fixable not plasmas (although it doesnt say it *wont* work). I'll give it ago.

The pixels are purple and red on white, rather than red on black but at least they arent black on white (inferring dead, rather than stuck pixels). Though the other one I saw in the center has cleared on it's own so there may be hope.. :)

nbat58

Send the bu99er back, it will teach shoddy manufacturers to let items like this slip through their QA net.:rolleyes:

SlingShotUK

Send the bu99er back, it will teach shoddy manufacturers to let items like this slip through their QA net.:rolleyes:
It's annoying as this one seems alot better than my first - richer, deeper blacks and the internal freeview receiver is a lot more sensitive (no breakup now).

Just wondering whether to put up with the pixels as they are on the bottom right of the set.. Decisions....

bonzobanana

I had a samsung plasma with 1 dead pixel and one intermittant pixel it annoyed the hell out of me and had to go back. To be honest the set was rubbish all round and was glad to see the back of it. Its only my opinion based on the experience of owning one samsung plasma but I'm a devoted Panasonic plasma fan now even though my first went back due to purple snakes.

nbat58

It's annoying as this one seems alot better than my first - richer, deeper blacks and the internal freeview receiver is a lot more sensitive (no breakup now).

Just wondering whether to put up with the pixels as they are on the bottom right of the set.. Decisions....
Your call...but look at it this way, a year down the line...would you still be able to live with those dead pixels when you can no longer send the set back?

Strike while the iron is still hot.

JJTye

Novice Member
I didn't think Plasma panels could get 'stuck or dead pixels'

I know its a trait associated with LCD, unless faulty pixels on plasmas are caused by the said pixels missing plasma gas or something.

Brooktop

Slingshot - send it back for pity's sake! Don't mess with it - they may try to wriggle out claiming you caused it. Never mind 'good will' - I'm sure with that number of faulty pixels, it would be covered under the manufacturer's warranty - but remember, your contract is with the retailer...unless you paid by Credit Card, in which it's 'strictly' with the CC co. It means they'll take up your fight if the retailer doesn't play ball.

Ring them now

Cooney

Slingshot - send it back for pity's sake! Don't mess with it - they may try to wriggle out claiming you caused it. Never mind 'good will' - I'm sure with that number of faulty pixels, it would be covered under the manufacturer's warranty - but remember, your contract is with the retailer...unless you paid by Credit Card, in which it's 'strictly' with the CC co. It means they'll take up your fight if the retailer doesn't play ball.

Ring them now
I totally agree with Brooktop. You paid good money for the set. It is not working properly - SEND IT BACK! Don't waste time, don't mess with it and only have another of the same model if a demonstration proved that it was the correct set for you.

As another poster suggests, investigate a panasonic or Pioneer if you can afford it.

Good luck!

EasterEEL1

but about a cm above the bottom right hand corner is a group of 4 dead pixels - 2 purple, 2 red
The issue you mention above would be type 3 = a stuck pixel (one or more sub-pixels are always on or always off).

Samsung adhere to ISO 13406-2 and specify their products as Pixel Fault Class II. Have a look at the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

SlingShotUK

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I am seriously thinking of calling back to get another replacement but I must admit I'm now having second thoughts. Mainly because this set is substancially better than my first - the black levels are fantastic. The whole panel looks blacker even when off if that makes any sense.
The freeview receiver is better as well (less breakup).

I just have this fear of getting a new one that has worst picture quality - like the first perhaps. I know this shouldn't be the case (they can't all vary so massively in quality can they?), but it's that fear of going from a good set with a few dead pixels to one with overall worst quality..

Regarding the type of pixel error it is a weird one. I've been looking the pixels again and I don't think it's 4 dead in the bottom right hand corner but 2. However, it looks like one part of the pixel is red, and another is purpleish. Looks like it's probably a fairly serious manufacturing defect in those pixels.

I've run jscreefix for over an hour and the pixels aren't changing at all so I don't think this is fixable.

I have attached some pics to show the problem. The first set show the 2 pixels on the bottom right of the set, the other's show a problem on another part of the set. This one doesn't look like an actual dead pixel - more a weird kind of scratch on the panel (or something). That one isnt really visible in normal viewing though.

I'd love to know your thoughts on how this looks.

The red / purple pixel shows up on white and green backgrounds, but not black, red or blue.

Attachments

immy69

Standard Member
I had the same issue with my sammy a few months back, went to the currys store and complained to the manager. He was appy to change it for me. 1 week later a brand new replacement of the same model arrived, engineer didnt even check my last one, just took it and left new one.
I enjoyed watching it for 2 whole days.. until I was burgled.
Back to my 32 inch hitachi.:(

SlingShotUK

I had the same issue with my sammy a few months back, went to the currys store and complained to the manager. He was appy to change it for me. 1 week later a brand new replacement of the same model arrived, engineer didnt even check my last one, just took it and left new one.
I enjoyed watching it for 2 whole days.. until I was burgled.
Back to my 32 inch hitachi.:(
Ah man sorry to hear that - how unlucky. Did you not have house insurance?
Gotta to be my worst nightmare that...

I had the same thing with Currys not checking the fault in my first one. I just spoke to The Tech Guys for 5 minutes and they issued an RMA. The guys came yesterday and just did a straight swap.

Pretty good service really..

EasterEEL1

I have attached some pics to show the problem. The first set show the 2 pixels on the bottom right of the set, the other's show a problem on another part of the set. This one doesn't look like an actual dead pixel - more a weird kind of scratch on the panel (or something). That one isnt really visible in normal viewing though.

I'd love to know your thoughts on how this looks.

The red / purple pixel shows up on white and green backgrounds, but not black, red or blue.
According to ISO 13406-2 you are borderline in my view, bearing in mind the figures quoted are per million.

I have to stand about 2ft away from my TV to resolve down to indivdual pixels at the level of your pictures. However I'm sure if you kick up enough fuss you will get it changed as it is pretty poor for a modern panel. However as other aspects of the TV are better than your 1st TV its a tough call. I got a Viewsonic 19" TFT computer monitor changed for one dead pixel a few years ago and the 2nd one had no dead pixels but it had much worse uneven backlight bleeding compared to the 1st which much more noticeable (with dark screens) than that dead pixel would ever have been. As a result of this I no longer go out of my way to look for dead pixels, i.e. if I don't notice them with normal usage its not a problem.

Surely the test is.... can notice them at your closest viewing position with solid colours? There is no way you will notice them with a moving image.

GL whatever you decide to do.

SlingShotUK

Hi there,

Yeah you do make a very good point and is why it's a difficult decision really.. Obviously now that I know it is there I keep looking out for it - but it takes actually moving my eyes to that corner to see it.

I think over I time I would probably not notice it very often. It certainly looks a lot better so far as the blacks are very deep.

I'll have to see how it goes over the next few days and then make a decision.

Anyone know if Curry's still give you 28 days to get a refund / exchange on a replaced product or is that still from the point of the original delivery?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton