• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New PJ user - Darbee

eastsoutheast

Help!!!

Just installed my first PJ set up and when the room is dark the PQ is fantastic. Unfortunately this means after dark viewing without some expensive modifications to the room and its various windows.

I am looking to purchase a 6 in 2 out HDMI splitter and am looking for any recommendations.

I am also considering a Darbee V5000 which seems to be a popular option on here. Can I take a HDMI feed from the 6 in 2 out splitter so that all sources run through the Darbee or is it better to only use with one source?

Thanks

witchdrash

You cant run 2 feeds into it and out, if you take one of the outs and put it there, then you can run all 6 in through the darbee to a single source, and this works fine (mine is sat between the projector and the av receiver).

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
I don't think the Darbee will improve much when daylight viewing mate, I am not saying don't get one because I am considering one too.
The light pollution is the key here so cutting that out should be the first option, next I would consider something like this DIY Daytime Screen On A Budget | Page 5 | AVForums
Next is the decor......but if your Mrs is anything like mine that might be a hard nut to crack ;).

eastsoutheast

I don't think the Darbee will improve much when daylight viewing mate, I am not saying don't get one because I am considering one too.
The light pollution is the key here so cutting that out should be the first option, next I would consider something like this DIY Daytime Screen On A Budget | Page 5 | AVForums
Next is the decor......but if your Mrs is anything like mine that might be a hard nut to crack ;).

Sorry for confusing everyone. The Darbee is for a general PQ improvement but I want to use it with all sources if poss. The output from the 6 in 2 out HDMI splitter going to the PJ would route through the Darbee first (if possible).

I definitely need to block out the light in the room but this is going to be tough. I can't use a fixed frame screen though. I could get away with blackout material behind the existing curtains and blinds and painting the screen wall a dark brown!!!!!

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you use a new lumagen video processor you can apply darbee processing to each source with optimised settings. In the Lumagen you have the darbee processing applied prior to any other video enhnacements or calibraiton tools. Each input and incoming resolution type can have different settings applied, so you can use different settings for games, sd content, hd content etc...Also you get superior upscaling of content and, if you choose to have it utilised, much better calibration controls than any projector...there are several new and s.h units to choose from. The darbee'd ones have between 4 and 8 hdmi inputs and dual hdmi outputs

witchdrash

If you use a new lumagen video processor you can apply darbee processing to each source with optimised settings. In the Lumagen you have the darbee processing applied prior to any other video enhnacements or calibraiton tools. Each input and incoming resolution type can have different settings applied, so you can use different settings for games, sd content, hd content etc...Also you get superior upscaling of content and, if you choose to have it utilised, much better calibration controls than any projector...there are several new and s.h units to choose from. The darbee'd ones have between 4 and 8 hdmi inputs and dual hdmi outputs

The problem with the lumagen is it's brutally expensive, and you'd probably see more benefit from buying the next level of projector, rather than a projector with a lumagen.

eastsoutheast

Some great suggestions so thanks everyone.

My processor does not have HDMI so I can't use this as suggested (and don't want to change this item).

A Lumagen sounds ideal but likely far exceeds my budget (currently although this will change). A Darbee and 6 in 2 out HDMI splitter will likely cost me £400, I will keep an eye out for a 2nd hand Lumagen and also research what previously sold ones have gone for.

I can see now that using a Darbee after the splitter will likely mean needing to adjust the settings each time I change source which will become a royal pain!!!

As far as black out curtains go I have new curtains now which I am unable to change although a discreet solution that caused minimal interference could work. I have two small arch windows on the opposite wall to the screen. These are approx 90cm wide, 180cm high and 31ft from the screen. There is a a large 6 panel bay window on the left as you look from the arch windows towards the screen. The wall etc is such that I am really restricted on what I can fit, its impossible to fit anything to the wall either side and the curtains fix to the window frame itself (the curtain rail does). There is also no wall above the window to utilise as its the original larve and plaster facing which has no structural strength. The curtains had to be fairly light weight because of this.

On the same wall close to the screen is a rectangular window which is approx 280 cms high by 380 CM's wide. Same issue above the window as the bay although the wall either side is solid and able to take other fixings. Again the curtain rail is fitted to the window frame as the wall above is not structurally strong enough.

The door which is half way along the opposite wall has a large glass panel which also lets in light but its an original door with stained glass that I would not change.

I will try and post some pictures which may help with the suggestions.

Thanks everyone

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Okay, I use a 'Blocout Blind' in my cinema room. Here's a link to their site:

BlocOut Roller Blinds | Bloc Blinds

They completely block out light from coming on, with the blind running inside guides either side. Here's a pic in my cinema room:

null_zps12260551.jpg

When the blind is up it's close to invisible.

Unfortunately, if your windows have arches at the top they obviously wont fit. Also, the Blocouts currently have a maximum size of 1800mm wide x 1500mm high.

Nonetheless, you might want to 'phone them to see if they can do anything - they're incredibly helpful.

If they can do something for you it'll be cheaper than a lumagen, and I doubt any sort of video processing can do too much to help an image being ruined by ambient light.

Steve W

eastsoutheast

Great looking room. And to make matters worse the arch windows have protruding plaster work and a picture rail joining them.

One thing I have considered is fitting some kind of hooks 1 metre apart in the living room. I would then purchase some black material with curtain type rings fitted. When I use the PJ I can quickly hang the black material blocking out light and reflections. I would only do this at the PJ end of the room as it would not look right everywhere.

My current PJ is a JVC HD1, how much brighter etc would say a Sony 55 be?

Thanks again.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
the Sony is much brighter than the HD1 but if you are thinking of darkening the area around the screen would you need those extra lumens?

that's not all it qualities though, it has for me a very sharp detailed image with good blacks, not as good as the jvc x35 though regarding blacks but not a million miles off either

I like the RC on the Sony as well, the Darbee will do a similar thing with the jvc though so its a toss up which to go for, the lens on the jvc would tip the scales for me tbh

Allan :smashin:

eastsoutheast

Hi Allan

Are you saying the X35 is better than the Sony55 in a non bat cave environment? I use a Pioneer KRP600A for everyday viewing which I chose because of its black performance so this is important to me. I also would like a little more punch (brightness, colour impact) without having to wait for the sun to disappear.

I was offered a very good deal on a 8ft screen and Sony 55 which I was considering and this encouraged me to experiment as I am now. The family have all enjoyed the PJ so I am now keen to get the best I can (for my budget).

Brian

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
no I'm not really saying that at all, you asked if the sony would be brighter than your HD1, yes it will be

you also suggested darkening around your screen area so I said you may not need the extra lumens that the sony gives you if you do this and that the jvc x35 could be the one to consider or at least add to your list

you now say that black levels are important to you, so that would tip the scales even more to the jvc, for me it would anyway, I'm not saying the sony isn't good though as it is good with black levels, but not as good as the jvc

if you leave your room as is with no treatment then the argument could switch to the Sony, it is brighter without question uncalibrated but if you are thinking of treatments then I feel the jvc should be considered,
both projectors are excellent but I think you need to see them both in action so you can make your own mind up as to which one will suit your purpose and room type

Allan :smashin:

eastsoutheast

Thanks Alan, it was so much easier choosing a TV as there was a clear winner at the time. My room will remain brighter than ideal as I am not going to get away with the sort of light restrictions that I would if I were single!!!

I am not interested in 3D just the best PQ in my room for approx £3000 (inc a suitable screen).

I also need a HDMI splitter (5 or 6 inputs to 2 outputs(0) and a Lumagen was recommended for this purpose and for a PQ upgrade.

Definitely love having a big screen so need to really get this right now.

Thanks for everyone input.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom