1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New pioneers

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
  2. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks good.....have any prices?

3. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    "XDE models are not available in the UK" (from that link).

Sorry to be a little dim but why are they showing an item on a UK website that they then state is not available in the UK? Do they mean not yet available or are there variants to this that are available?

Also, from the specs it looks like its the same brightness and contrast as the existing screen. Anyone know what the benefits of these new screens are?

APOLOGIES: I've just followed the link on that page and found the other models so I can answer my own question now. Sorry!!

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I just put a link to that model. The other ones are listed as well if you want to just look. I'm sure the 505 and 435 HDE's are listed.

I see they list a dot for dot mode....if t works with digital inputs then the scaler and HTPC brigade should be happy.

Gordon

5. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I thought they were bringing one out with a digital terrestrial tuner. According to the information via this link, that is only the XDE (unless I've missed something), which has already been noted, is not available in the UK?

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    7 billion colours sounds nice. Should have nice smooth tones then. Just had a quick glance again, what the main differences between the HDE and the FDE? (I assumed that one was digital tuner and the other analogue but is this correct?)

7. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sorry to be a nuisance but the link on the site that lead to the other models appears to have vanished. Anyone have a direct link or have Pioneer taken it down for some reason?

8. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I can't seem to get the list back again, only the 504 and 434 appear, however, when I did, the XDE had a digital tuner, the HDE and FDE did not.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Nothing at 37" or less?

10. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    1000 cd/m2 is very bright indeed, I wonder if that measurement is with or without the filter.

12. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's the likelihood that this new Media Receiver will work with a 504/434HDE?

Mike

13. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    Hello all

I think a bit of web master finger trouble today saw the info posted ahead of schedule and as others have noted some 'out of country' models appeared on the UK web site.

The NEW Media Receivers will (I believe) be backwards compatible with the 04HDE - though I don't believe production is geared up to produce them on masse; so expect a VERY high price for anyone interested in purchasing one (near £1k).

Stock of the new models is going to be very scare with initial shipments in mid October - anyone planning a pre Christmas treat for the family get in with an order as soon as pricing is announced (late August).

Cybersoga - one of the key developments touted on these TV's is a NEW 'Direct Colour Filter' - I wonder if the pre assembly and assembled brightness figures are now much of a muchness.

Gordon - I noted the 75/100Hz selectable frame rate Conversion; no FRC Mode2 60/100 as per the 43MXE1 by the looks of it.

I see YPbPr is now on Input 02 and HDMI on Input 03 - good news for system integrators.

Best regards

Joe

15. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...I've been thinking this whole night myself. :rolleyes:

16. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Check out av-land

They have details of 435xde - UK release October.

Price £4200.

Stan

17. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone remember what price the Pioneer 434 was when it was first released?

Cheers

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    Hello all

Unless these guys are very ahead of the game I'd guess they were simply taking a punt on pricing - were not due to get our info pack on the new TV's for another week.

Todda - from memory £4,500.00 for the PDP-434HDE and £5,995.00 for the PDP-504HDE at launch.

Best regards

Joe

19. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    WHF has issued a three star review to a PDP-435FDE in the Oct 2004 issue. In their empahatically vague style they criticised a picture "hampered by noise and grain."

Best wait 'till the professionals have a look I guess.

20. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hello all!

Are there any predictions on whether the 'flowing' issue has been fixed in the series 5?

What I mean by that is I found that when watching the 504 I noticed the images did not flow, but seemed to judder, like showing still frames that did not seem to be connected with the next frame. Is it due to the 50Hz to 70Hz frame conversion? I noticed that you can switch to 100hz with the new serires 5, maybe this will eliminate my issue.

any thougts Joe, MAW?

21. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I keep on thinking about this 7 billion colours claim. Will this mean that we get totally smooth gradients of colour (depending of course on the quality of the source)? Also, would most people notice the difference in normal usage between the 1 billion colours shown currently and the 7 billion in the same way that they notice the difference between some of the screens currently available and those that do display more colours? At what point does additional colours not make much difference?

22. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe.

I was only asking to try and gauge how much plasma prices have dropped over the past 12 months. I suppose I will have to wait until the official prices are published.

I know this will not be completely accurate as it is a different model, but I noticed with the arrival of each new model from different suppliers came a large price reduction.

Cheers

23. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for info...

I spoke to Pioneer today - as I too was interested in upgrading the media box (at least) since I only bought the 434 about 3 weeks ago and haven't taken it out of the box yet (still decorating the room)!!... I was told that the new media box (and the one that will come with the xde model is the only one that will contain the freeview decoder) will NOT be backward compatible with the 434 screens, as apparently, the interlinking cable has a different pin arrangement (with some of the pins carrying voltage). The guy also told me that the 434 has now been effectively discontinued and there will be a gap until the new models are released around Sept/Oct - with a wider choice of prices/options (primarily to take on the competition).

He said that the 435 screen is pretty much the same as the 434 screen but with some "minor" improvements... guess we'll have to wait and see...

Anyway, as I've just bought the 434 and the new media box does not appear to be backward compatible, all this is fairly irrelevant to me... ho-hum...

Derry

24. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    IMO, 8 billion is probably the cut off. Not quite sure where 7 billion comes into it, maybe its the difference between 1024 and 1000. Im also assuming that a billion is 1000,000,000 and you have a rough grasp of binary.

OK. Lets take a worse case scenario. A 'colour' wash, full black to full white full screen left to right in RGB. It keeps the maths easy even though in reality, sources may internally store as YUV.

So this wash is (0,0,0) to (255,255,255) using 8 bits. If you have a screen that is exactly dimensioned 255 pixels, you will get a perfect wash. However, take for instance a display 1280 pixels, then the wash will not be smooth as every 5 pixels will be the same. 256*256*256 possible colour combinations = 16777216, or 16.7 million colours.

Now, taking a 1280 pixel wise screen. To achieve a perfect wash would require (0,0,0) to (1280,1280,1280). But 1280 is not a power of 2. The closest are 1024 (10 bit) and 2048 (11 bit). So, 2048*2048*2048 = 8,589,934,592 or just over 8 billion colours.

Obviously, if your were running Alis, 10 bits would be optimal. 1,073,741,824 so just over a billion would suffice.

Comparing the two visually, the numbers game is rubbish, since your eye cannot resolve to that accuracy. So 1 million or 8 million, for a perfect full screen wash, once you can fit 1 colour per pixel on the screen, you are not going to see any difference.

Whether sources can supply to this accuracy is another matter, but there is no reason that interpolation performed internally could not.

-Ian

25. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do they keep putting the PC input on the front? It really limits where I can put my media receiver and keep it neat

26. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a real smart idea putting the vga on the front of the box but the smart idea is that the box can go anywhere, even in a cupboard as the ir control runs via the 'eye' on the front of the screen not the box. You can even get a cable extension if you need to

27. fraser e

fraser e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I've been following this thread over the last few days.

I was at my local Hi-Fi shop today and had an interesting conversation re the new Pioneer Plasma range.

Apparantly Pionner went crazy with the What Hi-Fi review of the FDE model. This was a plasma straight from the factory which had not been setup properly. Pioneer have asked that they review the product properly so watch out for next months issue.

My local shop are also displaying the new range at the Ideal Homes Exhibition at the SECC in Glasgow mid October. Pioneer believe they have produced a screen that has improved on the 434HDE.

Fingers crossed, I've got the money for mine ready. Now to check out those HDMI DVD players..... :thumbsup:

28. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    Hello all

fraser e - I cant see what Pioneer UK have to complain about - if they sent in a duffer the magazine can only review it as they see it; or pull the review and ask why its so bad.

cjdshaw - its looked upon as an 'occasional' use socket. have you seen the HD15 input on a Viera - now that is madness!!!

drgoni - I'm not so sure the info you've been given is 100% accurate. I can only see the PDA-H03 10m system 'extension' cable in the new literature and price list; no mention of a different cable for the XDE Media Box.

All the info I have is that the 04HDE and 05XDE boxes were to be interchangeable - but the cost for the swap was going to be high.

Best regards

Joe