Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New Pioneer warranty...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by SimonO, Sep 16, 2003.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    This is a quote from the new PDP-434/504HDE manual...

'Typical effects and characteristics of a phosphor-based matrix display, e.g., permanent residual images upon the phosphor of the panel, and the existence of a minute number of inactive light cells in the screen, are not covered by local warranties.'...

Typical characteristics..! Make sure you buy your plasma from a dealer who doesn't consider these typical characteristics..!

What a load of £$%^..!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Pioneer sub out their warranty work, I've had experience of it, I wonder if that's an isolated incident? Anyone else had a Pio. screen go wrong? My customer blew his personal power supply with the hassle, can't remember what the trouble with the screen was,

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My Pio 433HDE went back and forth to Barron McCann 5 times in the 7 months I owned it.

On each occassion I was told that the fault had been fixed only to find that it was just the same.

The first time it came back without the tuner box also.

The second time again no tuner box.

The third time it all came back but AV1 would not accept an RGB input.

The fourth time again no tuner.

In the end I got Pioneer involved and it transpired that they had done nothing with my screen.

Even the guy from Pioneer claimed he had not seen the fault before despite it showing on the new tuner he brought with him.

It turned out to be a characteristic/feature of the display...one I did not like.

My dealer was good enough to take it back for a full refund, even after 7 months, allthough it had been back and forth with Barron McCann for the last 3 months I had it.

Top marks to my delear, whom I subsequently spent all the refund and then some on more kit. But beware of Barron McCann...I believe they handle the warranty for Pioneer, Hitachi, Samsung and LG as well.

Cheers, Lee

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    That's jogged my memory. The mystery of the many visits, and missed appointments. My client stayed in for a week, during which time they never showed. I took the screen to the dealer, they showed up the next day and said demo screens were not covered!! It was there, obviously, cos retailers sit in their shops all day and can be there when repairers come to call.

BTW what feature of your screen was the problem you thought was a fault?

5. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had my 503mxe cut out . I think the safety circuits cut in.
    It took Barron McCann 3 weeks to return my plasma and I was given no replacement, but overall i'm happy with the service although a replacement(any screen would have done) would have been nice.
    My screen is ok now i'm just glad I got the 5yr warrenty with john lewis.

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's very difficult to explain but very clear when sat in front of the screen.

Basically, if you have a very strong/bright/solid area of the image in the center of the screen you get a sort of streaking/ghosting which shows itself as a lighter area on the left of the screen and darker on the right.

The easiest way to see this is by bringing up the Sky menus and when you have the horizonal menu options they appear to continue to both the left and right right and this sort of shadow effect and when you move the selected option so this band moves with it.

A test DVD I used was Aliens...right at the beginning when Ripley is being questioned she stands in front of a screen which green scrolling text...as the text scrolls upwards you can see the corresponging streak go straight through her face.

Also, if you connect a PC the title bars of windows and any text causes this also.

Very strange and very annoying. It happens on all inputs.

The guy from pioneer also said it affects the MXE as well as HDE screens.

In my quest for a new screen I also saw it on the Panasonic 37" and 42" screens and the Sony 42" 'Floating Glass' screen. I could not see it on the ALIS sony panels though nor on the Hitachi.

But in the time I owned my plasma I decided I did not like the image...seemed to artificial to me...so I've now got a Sony 30" LCD which to me is much better.

The smaller size I also find better...42" screen from about 9' was too big IMO for normal TV watching, fine for movies but Sky+ just looked crap most of the time.

Cheers, Lee

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Fascinating, I've seen this on the HDE, but not on any other plasma. Personally I don't like the HDE very much, it's ok if your inputs are crap, but a waste of space if you've got an Arcam or some such, for that matter any decent prog. scan DVD, seen an MXE with a Cambridge dv55 looking great recently! I'll be staring at plasmas with a new intensity from now on.

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    My Hitachi 42PD3000 exhibits the 'streaks' when used with a PC but you have to be very close to the screen to spot them. Doesn't happen with other sources though.

John