1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pioneer recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stanleyntl, Jun 13, 2005.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Are the Pioneer models : DVR433, DVR530 and DVR630 a match for the performance of the Sony and Panasonic models?
    Are they still using a poor internal tuner compared to the other two brands?
    (Meridian region - no full Freeview rollout til 2012, so an analogue one still needed because I don't have Sky.)

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Where are you in Meridian? I get digital from Rowridge (ITV on ch 29).
    Also I don't have a problem with the analogue tuner on a Pioneer 420. It gives as good a picture as a Sony analogue TV. Both get interfernce from French stations from time to time.
    As your ID is ...ntl, then are ntl doing digital tv yet?

3. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi eddyad,

I'm in Findon Valley, Worthing : off the Findon relay, which hasn't and won't be converted to digital until switch off.
    I have spoken with BBC reception about this, while the relay could be converted yesterday, Crown Castle believe it might cause interference for other Worthing TV viewers (even though its only a 50W transmitter).
    So I'm stuffed unless I get SKY, which is still worse than properly integrated tuners in TV and recorders!

4. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Re:NTL, its too expensive compared to SKY, unreliable I'm told on NTL forums, plus additional problems with daisychaining broadband off a set top box - given that my TV is downstairs and the computer upstairs.
    PC wise I'm better off with the cable modem and direct ethernet connection.
    I really wouldn't want to go with NTL for TV! :thumbsdow

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's bad news about your relay - puts you in a terrible position if you urgently need something in the last 3 years or so of analogue.
    In the meantime, it is seven years off at worst, so obviously decent analogue performance is important.
    As I said, I reckon the Pioneer x20 tuner is as good as my Sony TV - 32" WEGA (if anything the Pioneer is better on BBC1 for some reason). I sometimes wonder if reports of poor performance can be caused by local conditions.
    Richer Sounds (I've bought from them twice and they get generally good reports) will usually do an exchange within 14 days, so maybe you could 'suck it and see'. They have a store in Brighton - could be worth a visit. Problem is if the second try turned out to be worse than the first

6. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Puzzled by this sentence - what do you mean?
    With regard to the Pio 420, this was slated in What Hifi, yet faired better in What Video. I was just wondering if the new encoders, in the new range improved things at all.
    Feature wise nothing wrong with the Pioneer, including the frame accurate editting, but mags tend to rate the Panny and Sony models highly compared to the Pioneers.

Re:analogue performance, since they last serviced the relay I've got ghosting problems, and then there's the variability of signal coming via Rowridge - weather systems can louse things up real bad.

SKY picture quality puts me off, because its so smeared, and is sub DVD quality and even worse than good analogue! :mad:

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When I wrote "Problem is if the second try turned out to be worse than the first" I only meant that if you bought machine A and swapped it for B, it would be unfortunate if A turned out to be better than B anyway.

I think that if you get a good analogue signal, all recorders should give a decent result.
    I don't know if new Pioneers have a different analogue tuner.
    I certainly like the Pioneer's editing and recording flexibility - 32 "speeds" to choose from if you want to set up a best fit for a DVD.
    The Sonys are reported to have limited editing.

I don't know about the Panasonics. But last year's range didn't put in automatic 16:9 screen switching which is important for digital, but I guess wouldn't matter with analogue as there are so few 16:9 progs there. Analoiue tends to use 14:9 as a compromise which looks OK on 4:3 and 16:9 TVs. I set my TV to default to 14:9 for non-16:9 progs anyway, as it makes better use of the screen and looks less boxy.

If you have a difficult signal, you may benefit from turning the aerial slightly if possible. If it persists you could complain to Crown Castle.

This: http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe? is about the best TV reception predictor I found. See what it says about your location and aerial requirements.

On comparative picture quality, my TV has two analogue tuners (cheap version of the dual digital/analogue version when bought), and can display two pics side by side. Using an RGB feed from the 420 to the TV I can see a very slight reduction in brightness from the 420 comapred with the TV. This may be curable by tweaking the 420 white level setting. It's not discernible when switching from full screen TV to full screen 420.
    I also have a newish Sanyo VCR hooked up to the TV and as far as it's possible to tell from input switching on the TV, the 420 is better than the Sanyo.
    I suppose I'd expect the TV to be marginally better than either anyway, as there are less connections and conversions going on. I also use cheap scarts - Wilkinsons at about 6.99 a throw, and the quality of the 420 still blows my mind compared with the Sony VCR it replaced.

Finally, I chose the Pioneer because I downloaded its manual, and the Tosh RDSX32's, before I bought. Frankly I couldn't get to grips with the Tosh manual - just too much flexibility - or complexity depending how you look at it.

I guess I'm not helping a lot - just passing on my experiences for what they are worth..

8. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for that anyway. Re:comparing RGB with TV tuner, probably a scart impedance anomaly, only coax/bnc gives a true 75Ohm signal, which affects sharpness, colour saturation and dimensionality of image. Svideo is nearer to 75Ohms and gives a closer match to coax fed analogue signal. (Compared this with an SVHS VCR against TV tuner - JVC into Sony Super Trinitron 4:3)
    Maplin OFC gold plated scarts are a good stepup from really cheap scarts - £16 each - they have metal scart bodies (good for RF shielding) and cable is dark blue in colour. No good for svideo - too much cable crosstalk, fine for RGB though.

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That is useful info, as I'm thinking of getting another Freeview box and would get one with s-video on TV and recorder-out (current one is composite and none has RGB), and using s-video throughout. I mentioned using pass-through at present to get RGB throughout, but I have to leave the F'view box switched on all the time as its TV-out doesn't turn on from standby under time control and by coincidence I've been looking at Maplin scarts.

10. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Re:svideo, it has to be via 4 pin svideo connection, svideo via scart obviously upsets the impedances.

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'd guessed you meant 4-pin s-video after I thought about it a bit. So I tried using s-video from the 420 to my TV with a scart and a 4-pin svideo at the same time (on different TV AV inputs). To be honest I can't tell the difference, also 4-pin s-video and RGB scart are indistinguishable.
    It's trickier to compare scart RGB and scart s-video because I have to swap the scart in to the TV as it doesn't have an AV-in which accepts both.
    The diasadvantage with using 4-pin s-video is a lack of sockets on most components, and front only on the TV.
    Are you any closer to a decision on the Pioneer?

12. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'll see what the mags make of the new models first, then do the opposite! :rotfl: