1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pioneer recorders on Avland

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HMHB, May 26, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    4 Pioneer recorders (2 with HDD) and all with RGB in/out are on the avland price list due in at the end of June with the looks of things. This interests me as my Pioneer DVD player supports the VR format.
    Have any reviews appeared in the mags for these yet ?

2. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It looks like these players have no component output :confused:
    Not a smart marketing move in my books :nono:

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Maybe it is...

They've added RGB in so got to keep something back for the next gen.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Is component really needed on a dvd recorder for the majority of people using it ? I don't have component facilities on my tv and the majority of joe public don't (note I'm not talking about people on this forum - we are special ;) )
    Also, a lot of people on these forums would be using the recorder for recording and a stand alone player for the playback of DVDs - this one they would have component output on.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    plasma and projectors are becomming mainstream as well as hidef tvs. componant and progressive should be too. imo

6. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    JohnG
    Yes I think it is needed! You can buy £100 DVD players with component and progressive scan output so why not on a new £500 DVD Pioneer recorder? :confused: Panasonic have done it havent they?
    Just because the majority of joe public doesn't have component inputs on their tv's now doesn't mean that they wont buy a new set in the future with it does it?? :nono:
    I think that for the price its being sold at it should include component. There are many people who will not only use this to record but also as their main DVD player, so lets not assume that joe public doesn't deserve or want any better! They do!!! :lesson:

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I see your point mate, but in reality a lot of the public are still not even using scart leads. They watch satellite via the RF cable and don't even realise they aren't getting stereo !
    I fully understand why you would expect component on something of this price, but to a lot of people (including me) it won't matter.

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Very true, but of course these sorts of people are not the people spending £500 on a DVD Recorder either, they are spending £49.00 on a new VCR, where a budget SCART lead would cost around 10% of the price of a new VCR so they don't bother!

I suspect you are using SCART leads?

Pioneer do seem very slow in producing a killer recorder, the 3100/5100 serious were very poor quality in my opinion with the cheapest components for analogue input you could possibly find, the quality of composite input was appalling and let the whole range down. Hopefully the newer *20 series have improvements in this area, but are still lacking what is a standard fare on even the most basic DVD Players.

Regards

Philip

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Yes I'm using RGB scart. Although my TV is a 32" widescreen Panasonic costing about £1500 a couple of years ago, it doesn't have any component inputs (or if it has I've not seen them !!)
    I'm interested in this new line-up from Pioneer because of the -RW and VR mode which would match my Pioneer 565 DVD player. But I haven't seen any reviews yet, and your post about the quality of the previous models has made me wonder what these will be like. Have you seen any reviews yet ?

10. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Not seen any reviews yet, and those on the 520/320 did not mention anything of the problems I, and others have also reported with composite inputs and the bad PAL comb filter, not to mention the Time Base Corrector that hasn't been very effective on poor VHS input. The internal analogue tuner wasn't very good either, of course that being forced through the same comb filter didn't help.

With RGB input, the hope is they have revised the analogue stages and have improved the PAL processing. NTSC for the US market was unaffected as the units implemented a 3D Y/C filter for them, but not for PAL.

Regards

Philip

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    These faults with the old models - would it cause a problem if all I was using it for was to record from Sky+ ?
    I assume that copying VHS tapes to DVD would be affected by this ?

12. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Anything that goes via the composite input is affected, that includes the internal tuner as well. S-Video is not affected as the filtering is already done by the source. So if your Sky box outputs S-Video or RGB into the new models, regardless if they have the same comb filter problem it will not matter.

Regards

Philip

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Thanks mate. I have an SVHS video as well so could output via SVHS to transfer from old video tapes, and I could use RGB or S-Video from Sky+ so I might be safe getting one of these (assuming there's no other faults picked up in any reviews that should be coming soon).
    By the way, AVland are expecting stock within the next week for the 220.