1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pioneer Plasma 505/435 v Old going 504/434 for Picture quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Andyuk911, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not withstanding the fact that the new models(XDE) have a digital receiver and have a plastic rather than glass screen - are the old out going models better as far picture quality ?

I think the whole debate was started by What Hi fi (but not sure).

Any comments welcome

Thanks

2. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What HiFi just reviewed the 505XDE in their lastest mag. They praised it very highly and I own this model myself. Now there are two issues with it that I can see. This is on the PC mode. There is a problem with the v sync and the overall picture quality when selecting the PC option. I have tested this on various spec PC's and same problem on all. Now comparing this with the 503hde and the PC picture is perfect and no v sync problem. Its a pain as one of the main reasons for purchasing this model was to have an HTPC plugged into it. Have tried the PC via the HDMI socket and same problem. Anyone else had this problem? Can the firmware be updated??

Apart from that the 505 has a better TV picture for non PC viewing then the previous pioneer range.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    arrontp,

I just plugged in my laptop into the pc input on my 435xde and apart from the graphics card, seemingly, only supporting 60mhz everything was fine. Took some fiddling to get the pio to display in 60mhz but it did (it could have been 65mhz?) instead of 75mhz which seems to be the default.

To consequence of the difference in refresh rates was a slight shadow on some of the pictures - what exactly is the problem you are getting with the v-sync?

Overall PQ was very impressive.

4. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for reply.

Have tried 60 and 75 mhz. Problem is when playing games the is a slight line flicker with v sync turned on or off in fast movie scenes. This is also the case when watching DVDs through a PC. As I said have tried with a basic spec P3 all the way to a top spec AMD with a 6800GT gfx card but same problem. Also the overall picture is not as crisp on PC mode. Trying the same PC's with same games and DVD's it doesn't have the problem on the 503 plasma. Pioneer said the 503 is steered towards boardroom presentations and specifially with the PC in mind but the 505 is not. I think they are talking rubbish and fobbing me off! It seems to me that somewhere in the tuner setup they have cut corners and not produced the goods on the PC function that the 503 can be so solid to produce. Apart from that the PQ on normal non-PC viewing is alot better than the 503.

5. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260

So where in your opinion does the 504 rate, as that was the model that was mentioned by the topic starter, when comparing it to the 505.

For what it is worth, while my father in law owns the 505, we own the 504, and non of us can tell any difference that is in any way obvious!!

6. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also interested in the 504, anyone know where I can download a brochure or specifiactions? Any good deals around on this model, couldn't find much on google.

7. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why would anyone be interested in a 504 when the best PDP out there is a Fujitsu 50XHA40US???

:confused:

8. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well if you want a plasma but wish to view DVDs, games or other downloaded files on a PC then the 504 appears to be alot clearer than the 505 but watching movies via HDMI and normal terrestrial viewing (and future HDTV) then the 505 wins on that note.

Fujitsu 50XHA40US - I checked out this plasma but didn't feel the overall sharpness of the colour was as good as the 505. But each to their own!

9. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends on how and where you checked it out - as I am very surprised about you comment re: colour sharpness!

and the Pio dont do deep blacks...but like you say to each their own indeed!

10. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi again,

See thread - Pioneer 505 V NEW Panny 50" - That has detail on what tested. Didn't give specifics on the other plasmas as only concentrating on the Fuji and Pio in conversation.

Agree with you about the Pio and the deep blacks. I would say the Fuji was slightly better on the Event Horizon dark scenes but it was the colour sharpness that was noticeable to me. Are you a dealer? What player did you test them with?

Different conversation but what do you think about the Marantz VP-10S1 DLP? looking as my next purchase but difficult to hook it up with other competitor models due to price.

11. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I guess that's your view, but how can you come to the assumption that for future HDTV signals, the 505 will be better than the 504??? I've viewed 1080i HDTV via Satellite on the 504 and it's awesome. I however, (and I'm not alone), cannot notice any difference between the 504 and 505 when they are hooked up via HDMI to my 868.