New Pioneer MXE models

rscott4563

Standard Member
Reaction score
This is taken from the spec sheet for the new Pioneer MXE models from the Pioneer official MXE website, I don't know if this was already common knowledge or not but it seems from what it says below that the new MXE's won't be HDCP compatible on the DVI connection!? This seems very important and a bit of cockup by Pioneer, what do you think??

Pioneer_MXE_DVI_Spec.jpg

Yes this is known and has been posted, but overlooked in the general 'noise' about digital connections. I think Pioneer might have gabled that the EC would make a distinction about DVI, HDMI and HDCP with their new import tariff. Or maybe they don't consider it important as their new consumer plasma already has HDCP on it's spanking perfect digital port.

I think it's limited in terms of video resolutions anyway, but I like the idea of an 'open architecture' input port made available to third parties... I think the current DVI-HDCP Aurora cards will go straight in, although I'd like to see a cheeper input only card without a scaler... The specs for the two Pioneer input cards look a lot more PAL friendly too, which is encouraging...

I think I might finally buy a plasma..!

Hello all

The Aurora HDCP cards need an 'adapter' which is being worked on - the G4 chassis (04MXE) has two slots: one for an RS232 comms card and one for a video card; though the video slot is longer than the slot on the 03MXE displays hence the requirement for an adapter.

Its not been confirmed but I guess Pioneer are trying to keep the MXE's out of the Consumer channel by not implementing HDCP on the G4 MXE chassis.

Then again I believe Pioneer in Europe have been running tests with the Aurora A304-HDCP already - as I'm sure that in the UK and Europe MXE's sold into the 'Installer' market is quite big business.

Simon - I've not heard of an Input only cards so far; just Scaler cards.

Best regards

Joe

Aurora A304-HDCP doesn't look very PAL friendly..? Doesn't look like it does 1024 x 768 either..?

Originally posted by Joe Fernand
Its not been confirmed but I guess Pioneer are trying to keep the MXE's out of the Consumer channel by not implementing HDCP on the G4 MXE chassis.
I can understand the decision to leave out HDCP on the DVI input, it is a computer monitor after all, however they should be offering a 5005 card with HDMI... Something for the future.!?

Maybe... But even 'corporate' customers will want to be able to view HD-DVD when it's available and it's my understanding that this will all be copy protected... If HD-DVD becomes available within the life cycle of this model then I think there is a strong possibility of a suitable input card...

To be honest I'm not going to worry about it too much, analogue (or SDI if I have to) will keep me going for the foreseeable future...

If I find I can't play copy protected content in the future it'll be a good excuse to by a decent projector..!

Most corporate customers don't give a monkeys about PQ, and are be happy with composite video as long as it's cheap, so no they won't miss HDCP, I have never known any company use DVI in spite of my efforts.

The manual is now available on the Pioneer UK website...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom