New Pioneer MXE model - No HDCP support???

Jackass

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has the new MXE model got HDCP support on the DVI input?

Steve.

Thanks Gordon.

Has this panel got any advantage over the HDE model?

Steve.

Yes, it hasn't got a horrid, restrictive media box between you and the panel, so you can buy one of Gordon's Lumagen scalers and actually see it working.

Originally posted by MAW
Yes, it hasn't got a horrid, restrictive media box between you and the panel, so you can buy one of Gordon's Lumagen scalers and actually see it working.

I thought the HDE model had a HDMI socket, cant you get native resolution through this?

Steve.

and they said the same about the 433MXE.... :mad:.......................................and I'm still waiting :censored:

Anyone met a representative of Key Digital at the time agreed? ;)

Slightly O/T but as I'm stuck with a non-HDCP complaint 433MXE and an HDCP compliant DVD (Linn Unidisk) - is there an external box I could use that would improve on the progressive component I'm feeding from the DVD to screen via a 3 cable monster ?

I'd like to use the DVI from the DVD but as Linn are still developing the HDMI upgrade that may have to wait.

One possibility I'm considering is adding a SIM PJ as this may work out the same cost as adding a high-end scaler thingy (sorry, but I'm treading water when it comes to video enhancement !)

So what panels (from any manufacturer) actually have HDCP support and do native res via DVI/HDMI?

Steve.

NO!:mad: Fujitsu DVI never supported native res, though it was supposed to, and now they have removed it from the current generation. This might well be because from 1.5.04, there will be an EC tariff of 14% on 'computer monitors' with a DVI interface, which is defined as making them a consumer product, ie a television. There is one other way of getting around this, which is to build them in the EC. Anyone with a Pioneer surprised at what it says on the box?

Do you know if the new philps 42pf9966 supports native resolution thru its DVI-I input?
Thanks

Hello all

Jackass - as MAW says no 'active' HDCP support on the DVI-D input; though I believe much background negotiations are going on to see if HDCP can legally be enabled once either of Pioneer's video cards are installed.

Turlough - at least one Forum member has a working Aurora Multimedia A304 card which is HDCP compliant and Aurora have an adapter module that allows the A304 to fit into the longer accessory slot on the MXE1 chassis.

Other HDCP solutions will appear - though for customers wanting HDCP from day one we will offer an MXE1 + Aurora solution.

As MAW says the issue of HDCP (or lack of) is being driven by the fact that the majority of these panels are sold into applications that don't require HDCP compliance and now that HDCP compliance is going to add 14% to the cost of the Display this feature has been 'removed' rather than overlooked.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks Joe.

Does the Aurora card actually fully work in the UK ? I read on here some pops about it's PAL compatability. As you're planning using it in a package does that imply that you are happy with it's performance ?

Whilst we're on the subject - what does it give the user apart from HDCP ? Lot of money for "just" that !

Thanks.

Turlough

We've been having on going discussions with Aurora about the card and its viability in the new MXE1 chassis and they have just appointed a new European distributor so everything's still at an early stage.

The PAL issues is really that like so much US kit its better at NTSC than it is PAL - how it looks with any of the current HDMI enabled DVD players we have still to see.

I don't have a price as yet for the A304 plus the adapter required to interface what is a 3G (old) chassis card with a 4G (new) chassis that has a different size video slot - I'm guessing we'll be looking at something like an MXE1 + £600 for the combination.

The extra cash outlay gives you the all important (for some) HDCP compliance plus an on board scaler on a par with most other near £1k scalers.

Have a look at the Aurora website for more info on the A304-HDCP as there are other features that will be of interest to some but not others - see http://www.auroramultimedia.com/web/?section=products&product=a304

Best regards

Joe

According to David Allcock - "Right now there are only 6 DVD players with HDMI, the new Pioneer 868 and 686 universal DVD players, the Denon A11, and the Meridian G98, G91DH and 800 series reference transport. In terms of new display products, currently the Sony HS 20 projector, SIM2 HT300 Link projector and the Pioneer PDP504HDE and PDP434HDE are HDMI equipped."

You can read more about this at this link -

http://www.audiophilecandy.com/news2.asp?article=20&type=info

That's good to know Gordon. I am currently looking for a new DVI (+HDCP compliant) projector? Do you know which ones are might do the job?

I think the Z2 might do it, although Sanyo are a bit slow at getting back to me, and I have heard contradictory information from about the Panny AE500.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom