New Pioneer DVDRs but no digital tuner ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NX3, May 26, 2004.

1. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    The new Pioneer DVDR over at Avland look pretty tasty to me and they added RGB as well. However none of them seem to have a digital tuner (freeview) builtin. This seems to be a crying shame given the Pioneer Freeview box is one of the best (IMO).

Surely a DVDR with a DTT would be a perfect match! (hint hint Pioneer)

2. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's only the lack of a Freeview tuner that is holding me back from buying and even better would be one with two digital tuners which would mean i could watch one channel whilst recording another.

3. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Two tuners would be nice but a simple low end model with a single tuner would do. It just surprises me nobody does one yet from the establised electronic brands. Freeview sales figures for the 1st qtr of 2004 were very good at 500,000 so coming up to 4.5m now I think. DVDR is getting cheap / more affordable....

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    As I said in another thread, they're not going to include everything at once.
    Got to hold something back so people upgrade.
    This is nothing new, PC hardware & software manufacturers (and practically everyone else!) do it all the time.

I had the same attitude regarding Digital tuners but gave in last Xmas and bought a Pan E100 with NO REGRETS whatsoever.

Guys, you're missing out whilst you're 'waiting around'.

Take the plunge!

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would guess around 2007 for a general purpose DVD recorder with a Freeview tuner. DTTV coverage is nowhere near 100% yet and mfrs. don't want to produce two models. Then there is the question of a TopUp TV card slot too.
    A Freeview box with a timer and a DVD recoder able to start from the box timer seems the best solution in the meantime. Or there are the PVRs like the Pace Twin or one of the Humax range (I forget which).

6. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's also a Panasonic twin tuner and HDD Freeview box due for release soon although this doesn't have a DVD-R.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I should have mentioned that the PVRs limit you to recording digital channels, so if you moved to a non-DTTV area you'd be stuck. Hang on the trusty VCR!

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If I moved this would be a deal clincher - ie no DTTV no sale

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But as most can have Sky+,why wait.Now that Pioneer have added RGB ,their dvdr/hdd recorders are the ones to beat

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Just wondering what you base that on Phelings - and please not I am not saying your wrong - but just don't see how you can get to this conclusion from un-reviewed models. They do look impressive from the specs - but they still lack the component out/progressive scan combo which makes it less attractive than the Panny/Toshiba/JVC models to anyone who can accept such an input.

As I say you could be right - but personally I am of the opinion that the upcoming Sony models are going to the 'ones to beat' this year - but I guess time will tell.

11. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Well that started a fun conversation :)

For me thought I get freeview very well along with 4.5m other people, I'm not moving, I don't want Sky+ (though it sounds good), adding a Cam slot for TUTV isn't expensive or hard, for me less box is better as I have far too many as it is !

12. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Pah I wont bother with any of these until they have Component pass thru

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer models have my preferred -RW for a start,aswell as the Disc Backup feature lacking on others,and from what I understand,setting the quality level for a lengthy HDD recording to enable high speed to dvd-r later is not as simple on the Panasonic.The Sony machines sound good,but I'm sure they will be at Sony's usual over inflated ripoff prices.They may be superior but I take prices into account aswell.Sony's are not usually a little bit more expensive,they are extortionately overpriced.But,as you say,we'll have to see.Having used the HS2 and now the 5100,the only thing that I find lacking is RGB input,although component/progressive will obviously bother some buyers

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Fair one Phelings. My views are thus:

For HDD/DVDR combos: Panasonic are pushing machines out with bigger and bigger HDD - which is great if capacity is your major concern - but otherwise this years models (the E85 and E95) are 'unspectacular'. The Pioneer models seem reasonably specificed - but lack component output which is surprising as all the other brands now have this as standard given the benefits it brings to normal TV viewing as well as DVD playback. The Philips HDD/DVDR is a worthwhile addition to the market IMHO: Guideplus (despite it's flaws) and intelligent recording is the way forward: however DVD+R (which is universally accepted as having lower compatibility than DVD-R - a problem likely to continue for the next few years at least) and problems with Guideplus would be an issue for some. The upcoming JVC also looks good - although the lack of RGB input is still extremely disappointing. Accordingly the best current HDD/DVDR combo from all round specs seems to be the Toshiba. Whether this will changes when the Sony HDD/DVDR combos arrive in the Winter remains to be seen.

From the standalone perspectivey I still think Panasonic seems to rule the budget end: the Panasonic E55 is at least £50 cheaper than the Pioneer - and it still has a better specification than the budget Pioneer deck as it has component out/progressive scan. Philips DVD+RW standalones are as limited now as they were before IMHO which will suit some but certainly not high end users.

The middle market, standalones category is more complex though. I think the new Sony models are going to dominant here: with Timeslip (on DVD-RW) and DVD+R recording added to the existing models as well as (it is rumoured) Progressive Scan. Panasonic's E65 should put up a good show for Digital Camera users who don't want to use a PC to archieve their stuff (much the same audience that snapped up the E60). Offerings from Toshiba and JVC still need the all-important RGB make-over before they can really compete with the existing masters.

For the DVDR/Freeview integration we will start to see some models later this year: Sony have already invested alot of energy into this and have developed a system that truly integrates the Freeview 7 day EPG. There high-end HDD/DVDR combo will be the first to ultilise this. However it will not be until next years range that we see some proper choice develop in this category.

15. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed,I can't remember the model number,but the new What Video(or was it HCC?) pictured a new Toshiba,with RGB input and it looks very interesting.I wonder if the "problem" with NTSC recording will remain,and if you will be able to record straight to dvd rather than having to record to HDD first.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The only limitation of the Toshiba was that you could not record directly to DVD-R (you could record directly to DVD-RAM). As the whole point of a HDD/DVDR combo is to record on the HDD and dub to DVD-R it is totally unnecessary to record directly onto DVD-R. Infact Toshiba has shown the improved functionality that can be built into the system if you disable direct recording to DVD-R is more than worth the 'loss' of the feature.

17. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course its not totally unnecessary.Admittedly its used only once in a while,but if you want to simply copy a movie from Sky+(or standard Sky),why waste your time recording to the HDD when direct to dvd is easier?If its so unnecessary why do other makes not do the same.
    What extra functionality does the Tosh have that is there as a direct result of removing a basic function?

18. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Sounds like the direct recording was removed to save costs. Recording Disc at Once using the DVD Video format is simpler and cheaper than using incremental recording with the DVD 'Video Mode' recording format.

As well as saving some cost it is also more reliable than incremental writing, and if you end up with a coaster, you just make another disc from the hard drive, whereas with incremental recording you have trashed your only copy.

Regards

Philip