New Pioneer 757Ai

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John-D, Dec 29, 2002.

1. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody seen what this new Pioneer DVD player is like?

From the specs, it sounds like its got all a good home cinema freak needs. :D

Also, Techtronics seem to be doing a good deal at appox £638.00 inc VAT. Other sites are around the £700 or more area, for the multi-region one.

Also, the 656 looks a fine machine too. Anyone got one of these?

JD

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi John,

I have just ordered an SDI modded 757 from www.jvb.nl as I was very impressed with the specification. I especially wanted SACD and would have gone for the Philips 963SA but unfortunately this isn't available with an SDI mod. Regarding Techtronics, I've heard of some rather poor after-sales care from them. LE Concepts are selling a multi-region one for £650. There doesn't appear to be any UK magazine reviews of the 757 yet, only a link to a German one on the Pioneer website. By the way, the 656 gets an excellent review in the current issue of What Video WE if you don't require progressive scan. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    HiFi Choice reviewed the 757 this month and gave it a big thumbs up :)

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi,

Thanks for that Urban, I shall check it out :)

Steve

5. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link Dutch. The 757 & 656 do look good value, so does the Philips 963. When you get your Pioneer, let us know how it performs.

Cheers
    JD

6. tipicus

tipicus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interested in the 757 myself (well also the Arcam DV88+ too but I'm not sure I can justify paying that much).

Does anyone know if the 757 does PAL progressive as well as NTSC?

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the 757 chroma bug afflicted still?

ad

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi tipicus & buns,

No, unfortunately the 757 dosn't output PAL PS. I enquired at Pioneer UK whether a firmware upgrade would be made available but they replied that it wouldn't - b'stards! However I'm not too bothered as I'll be using the SDI output on my modded player to feed a Pioneer plasma (when the new Key Digital card comes out). I believe the new Pioneers still have the chroma bug though, but they still seems to get good magazine ratings ;)

Steve

9. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have the 656a and am very chuffed with it. The picture is stunning. Its easy to use and the only down side is that there is no pregressive scan on the euro model. For the price you can't go wrong. Have yet to test the DVD-A SACD playback.

10. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up a 757 at the weekend and i'm very pleased with it.

At the moment its into my current 28" WS Philips but will soon be into the Tosh 32ZD26, using component.

When i demo'd it, it was through a Sony VS11 pj.

Its also good with normal cd's, not tried any DVD-A's or SACD's yet?

11. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm looking for a PAL PS player to go with a Panasonic PAL PS TV, so I was very interested to read this review of the 757 on a german site:

http://www.hifi-regler.de/indexfrm....7-ai.php&SID=648c539775001cff556f88b73f75e063

I'll quote a small part from it:

Der Pioneer DV-757 Ai ist prinzipiell PAL Progressive-fähig. Sobald das DVD Forum PAL Progressive als offiziellen Standard verabschiedet hat, wird Pioneer ein Update offerierten.

It says the 757 is in principle ready for PAL PS, and that Pioneer will be offering a firmware update when PAL PS has been approved by the DVDForum...

So what's the story on this? It looks like the ideal player for me!

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi sr78,

Well that's strange because I contacted Pioneer UK about a firmware upgrade, and they said that there wouldn't be one. This was after PAL PS was ratified. Check out the threads on the Limit 9900 - this does PAL PS for £199!

Steve

13. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also called Pioneer Holland, same story, no upgrade...

I've had bad experiences with cheap DVD players, so I'm going to stay away from the Limit... it's not available in Holland either, so...

14. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi sr78,

How about the Philips 963SA? I've read some good reports on this machine. It is probably easier to get hold of in Holland than it appears to be in the UK.

Steve

P.S. By the way I'm still waiting for www.jvb.nl to get in stocks of the 757 Grrr...:(

15. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, the Philips would make a good choice as well i guess... although, despite being Dutch, I don't hold them in very high regard. Some bad experiences here as well...

I also forgot that the 757 doesn't have a region free remote hack, which would make it more expensive...

Perhaps I'll just wait a few months for another player to pop up that has PAL PS, DVD-A and SACD....

16. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the new Onkyo DV-SP800? It should retail at around £1200 and does DVD-A and SACD. The spec looks very good indeed and I'm predicting CD replay will be acceptable. I'm not sure about Pal PS, maybe worth checking out. I was set on the 757 but this has cought my eye and I'm keen to audition against an Arcam DV27 for CD's.

It looks the equal of the Marantz 8300 and is Ultra THX certified. Crucially, for me, it's also silver. Check it out here http://www.onkyo.net/uk/cms/products/home/dvd_play/DV-SP800/

Steve

17. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's quite a bit more than I can afford I'm afraid... especially with players costing half that with the same capabilities. Don't need it for CD playback either, I have an Arcam CD72 which I'm very happy with :)