1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pioneer 505HD or 504HD display model?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Koz, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Koz

Koz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a Pioneer 504HD that is a display model in a store on special and am trying to decide whether to buy that rather than a new 505HD. The best prices I have at the moment mean that a new 505 is about $A1200 more than the display 504HD and I don't mind spending the extra to get a better TV. However I've been reading through a lot of the posts here and am reading some posts saying that the 434 has a better picture than the 435 but others saying the opposite and I would assume that the 50" models should give similar results. I've read a couple of very good reviews for the 504 in UK magazines and a negative 435 review and that, along with comments I've read here tend to indicate that maybe I should consider the display 504 rather than the new 505. I don't know how long the 504 has been on display - the salesman said about 5 or 6 months. Does anyone know when the 505 was released in Australia? I am going to the store tomorrow with some of my DVDs to compare on both models, as well as seeing other sources, but I'm interesting in any thoughts on the merits of buying a display model vs a new one.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Koz

2. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi Koz,

I was in a similar position recently, when I purchased an ex-display 504FDE just before the UK launch of the newer 505XDE model. I spoke to someone at Pioneer UK prior to the purchase and the told me that the main changes are:

i) the inclusion of a digital terestrial tuner (in the UK model)
    ii) a thinner, lighter panel, using a plastic rather than glass screen
    ii) a redisigned media box

I was also told that there has been a lot of internal changes, but they have a marginal effect on picture quality.

In the end, I bought the 504, as my dealer made me an offer I could't refuse. I can't say I've regretted the decision.

Greg :clap:

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Koz,

First, I believe that Greggles meant he got a 504HDE here in the UK. The FDE model is only a version of the 505 model without a digital tuner and and PC input.

My only concern in getting the display 504 model would be how many hours it has clocked assuming that it has been always switched on for demonstation/window showcase (or is this not the case?). You can check that through the service menu inidcators (search this forum to see how to access the service menu).

Other than that, there is really no visible picture performance difference between the 434/504 and the newer 435/505. It maybe a pure preference or taste opinion but for me everytime I see a 434 I am convinced it gives a slightly better image than the 435. Check that for yourself and if everything looks really good to you save some money and get and enjoy the 504.