1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pio 435XDE, oily screen smear?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marcw, Aug 5, 2005.

1. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm pretty new here but having read a lot of postings here I decided to take the plunge and get myself a Pioneer 435XDE from AV-Sales.

I have to say, it's amazing - I'm very pleased with it but I have one question on it...

When the light hits the screen in the daytime, it reflects in the way oil on a wet road would reflect, and it's not consistent - it's like a smearing on the direct colour filter. I've used only the supplied cloth to clean it (it's only 2 days old) - and I can't seem to shift it.

Can anyone explain what it could be? Is it normal? If not, how I could shift it please? The panel is awesome at night but in the daytime it's opposite a window (20 feet opposite, only place I can put it right now) and sadly picks up the deflection of light - hence becomes hard to watch.

Thanks for any advice....

2. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can't say i've noticed it on mine. However, I have noticed that the screen is not completely flat (as you would expect a sheet of glass to be) bit very slightly 'rippled'. You can see this when the sun is on it from some angles.

I'll take a look at mine tomorrow (if its sunny!) and let you know if I can see anything like you explain. At least then you can eliminate if it's just your screen or all Pio's.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Pioneer are changing this for the new model next month, it is just one of the features of the screen, not a problem in most situations but if the light catches it wrong in your room it can be very annoying.
    Do you notice badly when the screen is on?

4. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite noticeable, yeah - I guess it could be the "rippling" effect that was mentioned, it does sound about right. It's kind of a pain really for a 2500 quid TV but I guess I can learn to live with it, it's probably because of the window height and position of the TV. Thanks for the advice so far... :) I was starting to worry I'd got a "returned" panel from AV Sales that someone had polished!!! :s Unlikely but hey, I'm paranoid like that!

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    No, when I first got mine out it sat on the floor next to the window while I got the panny off the wall, and it was the first thing I noticed, looks like they have use perspex that has been left out in the sun for the front panel glass, but once on the wall I could hardly tell.

They have removed this for the 436XDE.

6. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to reinstate this but I'm planning on calling AV-Sales over it again and also going to view another Pio set in one of the local electrical stores.

Do any other owners of the 435XDE notice this smearing / rippling of the screen front as well, is my question?

Thanks again...

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Is it a purple colour? I sometimes see it as 'er indoors has a mirror directly opposite the plasma and it sometimes reflects the main light into the screen. v.annoying..

8. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's mainly purple and looks like horizontal "tiger stripes" is the best way to describe it... Is that the same as yours FaxFan2002?

9. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I see it rarely and only in certain circumstances - angle of sunlight, reflections etc. I must admit if the light wasn't friendly in my house and I did get the smear I would certainly change the plasma.