1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pio 435 Xde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by 435, Jan 11, 2005.

1. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to everyone this is my first post and looking for some advice on my pio 435 xde which is coming up to 2 weeks old. Firstly i am 100% happy with the screen it was a good chioce, the only slight problem i have is that when i switch the screen on with sky there is a lot of noise all over the screen to cure this i have to switch to another input then back to input 1 and the picture is fine, i have had an engineer out he said he diddnt think there was a problem with anything and that it was probably the scarts conflicting with one another. Has anyone else had this on ther 435xde?

2. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another question to anyone who can help, i have read on the forum of people who have calibrated there screen, how does this improve picture quality and how do you go about doing it?

3. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I think a friend has the same problem with a 505XDE that he bought the same day I bought mine.

I'll ask if he found out what the problem was. I certainly do not have any such problems here, but I always use high quality cables.

4. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks for reply, I brought the most expensive ixos scarts i could find when i brought the screen so i dont think the problems there. i am currently using a pio dvd 990 all in one dvd home thearte for sound but am waiting for speakers to go on the side of screen as it will be easier for the kids to use. Its a bit of a pain in the a** having to swicth around upon start up to get a good picture.

5. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hope You Sort The Problem Out. I Am Waiting For My 435 Xde To Arrive, Just Wondered If You Were Totally Happy With Pq From All Sources. Will see if I get the same problem when set up and report.

6. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Spoke with my friend, he was having the problem, but mainly bottom left-hand side of screen. His solution was to turn the set off and on again, which cleared it. He admits he had't tried switching inputs. He does however, say, that he watched a lot of TV over the Xmas break and the problem seems to have gone away.

I must admit it does sound like perhaps an issue with cable interference rather than the TV being at fault.

7. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi bigmax, pq from dvd excellent out of this world even, sky cra* at first but gets better with time, you wont be dissapointed. worried at first that i should have gone for the vierra but now after a couple of weeks with the pio know i made the right chioce

8. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most odd indeed. I have all four inputs in use on my 434 with no problems whatsoever.

Could it be a decoder issue?

9. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi you say it sounds like cable interference do you have any suggestions on how to get over this?

10. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seperated all conections between dvd and decoder and the problem went away, but i was then unsure weather the problem was with the dvd, decoder, or tv.

11. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try another Scart cable? You are using good quality ones I take it?

12. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am using £50 ixos on decoder, £20 make not known on dvd, i am use ixos on decoder because its on 99% of the time, maybe i should invest in one for the dvd, and see if that sorts the problem out.

13. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Could just be one or some of the scart pin connectors had some dirt, or wasn't quite connected cleanly. The expensive scarts need a hammer to get in properly whereas the cheap ones fall out if you turn the TV up too loudly.

FWIW I tend to get most of my leads these days from lektropacks

14. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

hi 435, to be honest this seems to be most peoples opinion once they get up and running. Will be interesting to see if changing cables etc will sort out your only prob. Can't wait for mine to arrive !!

15. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well i am delighted. DVD through HDMI is shockingly good. Sky quality through a good scart is great. Football is a bit ropey but i have a bit of tweeking to do, cricket is great, particularly yesterday! It's much better than my panny 5 through scart to comp into iscan ultra was, and on the whole, well done pioneer!

16. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea why it gets better over time? Anyone had longer-term problems with this?

I'm about to order a 435 XDE & am planning to do most of my watching via Freeview so am a bit concerned if it's going to look dreadful..!

Car man

17. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't want to start an argument but my sky pic as been OK from day one. I would suspect that people remembering the high quality of CRT sets notice a big difference when they first go to the plasma but see that as the norm over time with nothing to compare it to?

Incidently when i switch inputs to sky the pic is sometimes unwatchable untill i either switch sky off and back on or reselect the input. Any ideas?

18. abs_pio

abs_pio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 435 for a couple of weeks. I originally ordered a Sony because all the reviews about the pio tv picture. I can say with hand on heart that I have no regrets about going for the pio.

The freeview picture is excellent, and it has got better over time. It may be that i'm just lucky that there is a good signal here in london.

I would always recommend the pio to anyone, don't be put off with the reviews about the tv quality. I have jsut connected my denon 1910 to the pio through DVI-D --> HDMI, the picture is awesome. Even the wife had to admit it. Your not going to get that with the current crop of sony's and panny.

BTW watching football on the set is pants!!!!

I actually got a real good deal if your interested. Got the 435XDE with wall bracket (£200), and the black full length speakers(£190) for 2930 inc delivery. The supplier is Atlantic electrics, they are a certified pioneer works dealer. thought i give them a plug as they gave a really good service.

19. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Abs.
    So you would say it is worth buying a HDMI DVD player to connect to the XDE. I am waiting for mine to come into stock and be delivered and was wondering whether to invest in a suitable DVD player as well.
    Bit concerned about the the reports on football as I'll want to watch this a lot. In what way is the picture so bad ?

20. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The panny is the best for football from what I've seen. However, I couldn't live with the flicker on the screen and now have a 435XDE. Footy wise, it's not that bad and better than my mate's 434HDE.

I may now be talking complete nonsense and am more than happy for someone with more technical knowledge to correct me, but for some reason, the motion "judder" (panning on football matches) that I found irritating with the 434 doesn't seem to be present in the 435. Whether this is my imagination or due to some change in the screens/boxes I don't know.

However, the picture on the 435 looks more "grainy" than the 434 which looked smooth. You can get the 435 to look smooth but at the expense of introducing blurring in faces/movement etc which again, to me did not look as bad on the 434. This can make the pitches look either grainy or artificial depending on your settings. I personally prefer it to look a little grainy but with little to no digital enhancement.

Also, and again, this may well be my imagination, but I seem to see the image "shimmer" on light areas, much like the panny "flicker" I could see on their screens. I don't know if this is connected to the motion judder in that they're using a different refresh rate on this screen but there are differences in the pictures between the two models.

Can't say what freeview is like as we don't (and aren't likely to) have it in our area. Analogue looks ok but again, not as good in my opinion as the 434 in that respect.

21. abs_pio

abs_pio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bigmax,

I made the decision that since I had the HDMI connection, thats what I wanted to use to hook up a dvd. I narrowed it down to the DENON 1910 and 2910.

The 2910 is £300 more than the 1910, the only advantage I could see for going with 2910 was that it has HDMI output, the 1910 only has DVI-D (digital vidoe, not the sound). As I am going to connect up to an AV receiver for the sound that really didn't bother me. Also not really interested in playing music CDs on the player.

The picture on the two players through the digital link was identical in my opinion so I saved the £300 pounds which I can now put towards a better speaker package.

The 1910 cost me £220 (multi region)
    I think Samsung also have a new HDMI model ready as well as panny all in the same price range.

22. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Reckless

But all in all a good screen that your happy with ?

23. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yep. There are pros and cons with every screen here and you just have to ask yourself what you are prepared to compromise on: from the screens I have seen I just think that for my family use it has the least problems IMHO.

Have to say though that the hdmi swung it away from the Sony (which I still think has a great picture) as even though I agree that it may take some time before Sky HD takes off, I don't intend to change the screen for some considerable time.

It does require a lot of tweaking on the settings to get the best out of it (at least with my old equipment it does!).