• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question New phono preamp

Fergin

Hi

currently using a project phono box e, looking to spend between £200 & £300 on a new phono preamp, looking at Rega mk3 and Graham slee

any recommendations , rest of system is naim nait Xs 2, project rpm 1 and mission m35i speakers

any info appreacited

regards

Fegin

acgingersnaps

Hi.
What's your cartridge? The money you're talking about would be a small bump in quality if used for slightly better amplification, but if you're still on a 2M Red or similar, £300 is a massively noticeable cartridge upgrade.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Take a look at the Cambridge Audio Alva Duo.
I had a Project Phono and changed it for a Schiit Mani, which was great with a MM cartridge, but when I upgraded my TT to a RP6/Ania I didn't feel the Mani's MC performance was as good (relatively) as it's MM.
So I got the Alva and really like it. First thing to note is the noise floor has dropped considerably. It's also a better match load-wise to the Ania (100ohms, vs the Mani's 47).
Clearly, like the Mani, the Alva has the benefit of being able to handle MM and then if you upgrade to MC it'll do that as well.
Plus - it has an excellent (to my ears) headphone amp built in.

Also - if you're thinking of a cart upgrade, look at the Nagaoka MP110 and the AT VM95 range - these have the advantage of letting you upgrade the stylus as budget allows - so you can start of with a humble E for around £45, but end up with a Shibata or Microline if you wish in future - no further adjustments, just whip (carefully) the old stylus out and bang (equally carefully) the new one in.

acgingersnaps

Also - if you're thinking of a cart upgrade, look at the Nagaoka MP110 and the AT VM95 range - these have the advantage of letting you upgrade the stylus as budget allows - so you can start of with a humble E for around £45, but end up with a Shibata or Microline if you wish in future
I have a Nagaoka MP110, having previously had a 2M Blue. A big upgrade on the 2M Red, imho. Also, it's well under your budget.

MaryWhitehouse

Having tried a few at that budget recently I’d recommend the Tisbury Audio Domino. £169 with a quality power supply and money back guarantee.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom