New Phono Pre Amp for Rega PL8 TT

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Hi guys. The time has come to pull the trigger & update my Fono MC Pre Amp. The Fono is fine, but even when I purchased it last year I figured that I would probably change it eventually.
When I was demoing some TTs last year the salesman put on a Gold Note PH 10, paired with its separate power suply- PSU 10. Together with the Rega PL8 the sound was astonishing.... as it should do for nearly 2.5 k!
At this moment in time I can't really justify spending that sort of money. I maybe able to stretch to £1400 for just the amp & add the PSU at a later date.Maybe.
Another option is the Cyrus Signature Phono pre amp- about £1500 (ouch!) I have not heard this, but reports in mags/ online are positive. In fact Our very own Forum Hi Fi reviewer Mr Ed Selley is a fan.
I have noticed one on ebay at a very tempting price. The other thing that draws me to the Cyrus, is that I already possess a PSX r2. Which is currently being massively underused in a bedroom setup.
The other option is the Rega Aria at £1100. Any thoughts peeps or am I just chasing the dream of sonic perfection?

Craig uk

Hi guys. The time has come to pull the trigger & update my Fono MC Pre Amp. The Fono is fine, but even when I purchased it last year I figured that I would probably change it eventually.
When I was demoing some TTs last year the salesman put on a Gold Note PH 10, paired with its separate power suply- PSU 10. Together with the Rega PL8 the sound was astonishing.... as it should do for nearly 2.5 k!
At this moment in time I can't really justify spending that sort of money. I maybe able to stretch to £1400 for just the amp & add the PSU at a later date.Maybe.
Another option is the Cyrus Signature Phono pre amp- about £1500 (ouch!) I have not heard this, but reports in mags/ online are positive. In fact Our very own Forum Hi Fi reviewer Mr Ed Selley is a fan.
I have noticed one on ebay at a very tempting price. The other thing that draws me to the Cyrus, is that I already possess a PSX r2. Which is currently being massively underused in a bedroom setup.
The other option is the Rega Aria at £1100. Any thoughts peeps or am I just chasing the dream of sonic perfection?
The Aria is the obvious choice… I used one with my old RP8 Apheta 2 with excellent results. The Cyrus is better still - by some margin, a mate has it on his Gyro and we tried it against the Aria with my RP8 which proved conclusive. It’s probably the best phono to be had under 2k imo.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I must admit I am leaning towards the Cyrus. I was very impressed by the Gold note but as mentioned before I already have the power supply unit for the Cyrus ready & hungry to be better appreciated.

Craig uk

Thanks. I must admit I am leaning towards the Cyrus. I was very impressed by the Gold note but as mentioned before I already have the power supply unit for the Cyrus ready & hungry to be better appreciated.
You will be delighted with the Cyrus - coming from the Fono MC, well it’s in a completely different league. The Aura is one of the items on my list for home demo later in the year.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Cyrus unit delivered, set up & have finished playing ' paranoid' Black Sabbath, half way through ' Back in Black AC/DC..... WOW. What a difference. I knew the Fono was going to be a stop gap but I realise now that I was not doing justice to my TT.
The Cyrus delivers big time across the board. It is unbelievable the detail it finds in those little black grooves, the bass is phenomenal. Wonderful.
I am sooo happy with my system now, this was the missing link. 😄

Craig uk

Cyrus unit delivered, set up & have finished playing ' paranoid' Black Sabbath, half way through ' Back in Black AC/DC..... WOW. What a difference. I knew the Fono was going to be a stop gap but I realise now that I was not doing justice to my TT.
The Cyrus delivers big time across the board. It is unbelievable the detail it finds in those little black grooves, the bass is phenomenal. Wonderful.
I am sooo happy with my system now, this was the missing link. 😄
Wow - you got the Cyrus! I knew you’d be smitten:thumbsup:

I predict a day of listening to vinyl lays ahead for you Sir!

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I have played 4 albums already.
I think I'm getting on my little ladies nerves though going on how good it sounds.
To her ears it's '... the bloody same'.
Philistine. 🙄

camcroft

I think I'm getting on my little ladies nerves though going on how good it sounds.
Philistine. 🙄
Did you get the question "Are you selling the other one " yet

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Oh yes. Tempted to just keep it though.... but then again it does deserve to be played. I think I will feel guilty that it's all sad & fed up in its box.

Craig uk

Philistine. 🙄
That sounds familiar! Don’t you just love a good upgrade though:)

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
That sounds familiar! Don’t you just love a good upgrade though:)
I assume you mean upgrading the Hifi not the significant other :D

Khankat

Good to hear you are enjoying the Cyrus. I aspire to the Cyrus, that's what my head says, but my heart says Gold Note.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
They are both cracking phono pre amps.I don't think you would be making a mistake with either the Cyrus or the PH 10.What ultimately swung it for me was that I already had a PSX r2 for the Cyrus.
I would definitely go with the separate power supply's for both of them.
Cost wise they are about the same for amp & power supply.
It's a minor thing but I really hated the Gold note maker sign on the front. It looks like a gold milk bottle top, & looks cheap.

Khankat

Thank you for your thoughts. Unsure, but I think I am right in thinking that the Cyrus has greater adjustability, in terms of gain, loading etc. Happy to be corrected. Gold Note make some highly desirable kit.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Yes it does & can be adjusted by remote control. Very easy to operate.

Khankat

Regrettably, neither Cyrus nor Gold Note will suit me. The Cyrus, at first glance, looks to be ideal but, looking at it's specs, it only offers adjustable capacitance for Moving Coil cartridges. I need it to be available for Moving Magnet also. Certain Moving Iron and other non- MC cartridges require this to give their best- Decca London as but one example. For vinyl replay, capacitance can only be adjusted upwards not down. And for it to be of any use, cable with the lowest capacitance should be employed, so you are starting at the lowest figure. Then its a matter of adjusting capacitance by ear.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom