• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Phone

Baked

As title. Looking for a phone for £150 or less preferably. Features, 3.5mm socket for headphones, good interface software. Android is welcome. If it's a touchscreen then it has to be good as my current LG Cookie drives my insane! Music player that is decent is a must, video player capable of some .avi divx would be awesome too. Just a usable phone with some nice features is what I'm after really

I've been looking at a few phones. Orange San Fran, LG Optimus GT540, Nokia 6700 Classic, BB Curve 5820, SE X10 Mini Pro and various others. Any suggestions guys?

Cheers. :smashin:

Baked

Any advances on the Samsung Wave? I've searched and I can't find a new one for £150 quid. Sorry if that wasn't specified but I want a NEW phone to be honest. I've heard from multiple people that the San Fran is **** at playing music, the actual software and the hardware and music is one of the main features I am wanting. I can't believe that there aren't any £150 alternatives for a good music phone?

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Any advances on the Samsung Wave? I've searched and I can't find a new one for £150 quid. Sorry if that wasn't specified but I want a NEW phone to be honest. I've heard from multiple people that the San Fran is **** at playing music, the actual software and the hardware and music is one of the main features I am wanting. I can't believe that there aren't any £150 alternatives for a good music phone?

Even with an iffy 3.5mm headphone output I think I'd choose the Orange SF running android over a £180 Wave running Bada.

At least with Android you can change the music player app if you don't like it (there must be 30+ different ones for Android) look up poweramp/mixzing/musicmod for some good examples....

and the hardware cost saving will be enough for a decent set of Bluetooth headphones ;)

Baked

Well my budget just got upped to around £200! :D Kind of offers a little bit more flexibility. The Wave is amazing though. Can play DivX like it's not even there. Music too.. Hmm. Any alternatives?

jabintendo

sony ericsson w995. I think it is a brilliant phone. Always worked and survived a few drops.
I didn't use it for music but was told it was quite good, but don't know personally.
Have no idea about the video though.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Well my budget just got upped to around £200! :D Kind of offers a little bit more flexibility. The Wave is amazing though. Can play DivX like it's not even there. Music too.. Hmm. Any alternatives?

Pushing used HTC Desire territory there ;)

The wave is a nice looking phone i agree, great specs and as proprietary OS's go Bada is pretty good. It's just not android...

Last edited:

Baked

Pushing used HTC Desire territory there ;)

The wave is a nice looking phone i agree, great specs and as proprietary OS's go Bada is pretty good. It's just not android...

Aye the thing is £200 doesn't buy a brand new Wave. :( I really just want a phone that is up to date, CAN PLAY MUSIC WELL!!, is quick on the OS, average camera, 3.5mm headphone socket, DivX would be nice. Is there really nothing? If going for a touchscreen I've decided that it's gonna be capacitive or not getting one.

silent ninja

Suspended
Aye the thing is £200 doesn't buy a brand new Wave. :( I really just want a phone that is up to date, CAN PLAY MUSIC WELL!!, is quick on the OS, average camera, 3.5mm headphone socket, DivX would be nice. Is there really nothing? If going for a touchscreen I've decided that it's gonna be capacitive or not getting one.

£200 will buy you a HTC Legend on ebay brand new (unwanted upgrades). I've seen a few. It's got Android 2.2 update out as well. I'm not sure it's worth twice the Orange SF but it does look nice.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
£200 will buy you a HTC Legend on ebay brand new (unwanted upgrades). I've seen a few. It's got Android 2.2 update out as well. I'm not sure it's worth twice the Orange SF but it does look nice.

The legend is beautifully built but when i tried one i found the CPU was borderline for "Fast" android. would still choose over the Wave mind..

Laubi02

Distinguished Member

im sure most androids can do it but my htc desire can play nearly all fils i throw at it with an app called rockplayer

(even mkv files without ANY conversion process)

i tried playing a 720p mkv file (pixar shorts) but it does glitch so i think the only thing it cant handle is HD videos

Baked

Ordering a Sammy Wave brand new from eBay unlocked and everything for £235 tonight. A bit expensive yes but at the end of the day it seems like the right phone for me. Let's just hope that Bada OS grows a little bit.

Baked

Advances. Won a sealed S8500 on eBay about a week ago. Arrived and all is good. Just gotta wait till crimbo to use it.. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom