New Phone Time - Please Help!!

joust

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So, I've been running a Oneplus 5 for the last 3.5 years and its starting to get past its sell by date. So looking for a new phone. Budget, I don't mind, I'm willing to pay for the flagships if they are appropriate......

What am I looking for - so I mainly use my phone, shock horror, for calls, internet browsing, and I do like to take images at appropriate times (I'm not prolific, but do like a good shot, I have a good DSLR [Nikon 5300], if there's similar quality in a mobile, I'll go with that). I'm not a phone gamer. I'm not wedded to any ecosystem, so happy with either android or IOS. Good battery life is probably more important to me, as I can go for some time between charging.

Currently toying with Samsung S21 Ultra, Iphone 12 pro and the new Oneplus 9 (being announced tomorrow) - anything more appropriate for a lower price?

I used to be an avid yearly upgrader (had a mobile handset now since 1995), this is the longest I have ever had a handset, and its likely a new one will be kept for some time too.

Any help or advice gladly received!!!

Joust

I upgraded from a S9 to the S21U, love the display, camera, and general speed of the new device. To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with any of the phones you have mentioned, Samsung do like their sales though, so the S21 U can often be found below £1000 so not far off the price of a OnePlus 9.

The display on the S21 U really is pretty amazing.

50956876131_1931b13691_c_d.jpg

These are some shots I've taken with the x10 zoom lens on the S21 U, they look pretty amazing for a smart phone camera.

51021812027_3bac9d6874_k_d.jpg

51021828997_6894c83f3e_4k_d.jpg

51012255792_1ae7e998e9_k_d.jpg

50982657873_29b824ee15_k_d.jpg

Battery life am seeing 7hrs+ and around 40hrs stand by time, which is double what my S9 could manage.

I'm very happy with the S21 U, will be keeping it for a few years upgrading again.

51033523811_ba337c6df7_c_d.jpg

Google's camera smarts in their Pixel range is meant to be pretty good for the money. So maybe look at the Pixel 5. It's £599 at the moment. If you don't mind a plastic body, the Pixel 4a 5G has the same camera tech for £100 less.
I'm currently using the OnePlus Nord and find it pretty good.

Last edited:
I'd go with one of the Pixel range as mentioned above. I've got a Pixel 3a, whose camera is one of the top cameras and does take some great pictures. As I'm not an intensive mobile user (I don't game), my 3a still suits my needs.

As your usage isn't intensive, then a mid-range phone should be fine, so the Pixel 4a or 4a 5g might do for you, but if you want a step up in power, then the Pixel 5 will work for you at a not excessive price. All Pixels have good cameras.

I'd go with one of the Pixel range as mentioned above. I've got a Pixel 3a, whose camera is one of the top cameras and does take some great pictures. As I'm not an intensive mobile user (I don't game), my 3a still suits my needs.

As your usage isn't intensive, then a mid-range phone should be fine, so the Pixel 4a or 4a 5g might do for you, but if you want a step up in power, then the Pixel 5 will work for you at a not excessive price. All Pixels have good cameras.

The Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 have the same Snapdragon 765G processor.

The Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 have the same Snapdragon 765G processor.
Ah, that's good to know, and makes the choices that much nearer. Still, the processor isn't the only thing to compare on a mobile.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom