1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Phillips P+ 36 TVs

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jon12345, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I want to get a 36" TV. Phillips P+ version 2 seem to have good reviews, at least for the 32" version. Anyone seen a review for the 36" version yet?

Is the 36" version actually out yet?

Regards,

Jon

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New Philips 36" Pixel Plus

I am in the market for this TV too., Jon. Having seen the excellent verdict on the 32" model, 32PW9618, in the November 2003 issue of "What Video" I find that the 36PW9618 seems to be available generally online and in the major outlets.

The price seems to vary considerably from around £1,400 to £1,999! It seems that Philips have addressed the previous Pixel Plus problems and hopefully cured them. Happy football viewing!

Regards

Cynthia

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be aware that, at the moment, these Philips 36" P+ TVs have older design, cheaper, Panasonic tubes than some of the recent (and maybe current) 32" models which use Philips own Cybertube.

The deficiences in the Panasonic tubes are:-

- Coarser dot-pitch (ie. bigger phosphor dots)
    - Less flat inner tube surface (tube glass is flat on the front but thicker at the sides - the "wedge" effect)
    - Less natural colours

If I were looking to buy a 36" P+ set I'd wait to see if Philips actually start fitting their own new 36" tubes, rumoured to be available shortly...

4. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with BlindLemon,
    have a look through some of the other posts on philips, you will see that people have bought the new models, and still have alot of the same problems as the old models, some not as bad but the bars are still there.

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm grateful for that information BlindLemon and DoogyDawg.

Having checked that the PW9618 was in stock on Hi Spek's website all last week, I rang on Monday, 13th, to order one. They had sold out; (shown out of stock on that day on their site). Since there was a ten day delivery wait I let it go. Maybe it was fortuitous for me in the light of your information and I should wait longer in the hope of getting one of the Cybertube models. How will I ever be able to find out what tube is being used?

I was almost glad my 12 year old 32" Grundig had screeched to oblivion although it was an excellent tv. I had been drooling over the latest 36" televisions. Maybe watch the upstairs tv a bit longer until I find what I want. There seem to be shortcomings on most of the 36" televisions.

Many thanks,
    regards,

6. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cynthia,

You can tell a Panasonic tube by the presence of a single phosphor dot halfway down each side. The new HD Panasonic tubes (as used in the PD30) are better (smaller dot-pitch, flatter internal surface etc.) - but these are expensive tubes, and I doubt if you will find them in Philips sets. All the recent Philips P+ sets I've seen have had "old style" Panasonic tubes. The 36" Panasonic tube, in particular, has a very coarse dot-pitch and is visibly not flat internally.

Unfortunately, once you've bought a set, it seems that Philips themselves tend to claim that the Panasonic and Philips tubes are "equivalent spec" - even though their own published literature clearly shows the dot-pitch is different, and points out the other advantages of the Philips Cybtertube I mentioned above.

If you're ordering over the web, get the company to FAX or write to you confirming that the set "will contain a Philips tube" - before you place your order. Then if it doesn't you can reject it as not conforming to the contract established by the letter.

Personally I'd wait to see Philips sets with a Philips tubes in the shops before I tried ordering one over the web though...

HTH :)

7. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blind Lemon,

Many thanks again for your help with tube identification. I will certainly take your advice if I buy online, an excellent idea. However, I will also wait to see if the Philips' sets in the shops have the new tubes first. If you see a woman lurking in Comet with a screwdriver it could be me!

I was interested to see your comments on Loewe in another post as I had been wondering if my husband might have agreed to the price, but I knew he wouldn't, he is so disinterested in audio and video except for watching rugby and cricket. I had considered the Panasonic PD30, a stunning looking tv, but in view of your comments on this I may well wait for the Philips.

What an amazing forum this is, I originally came here with Sky+ problems, and now am hooked on viewing the television posts.

Thank you again,
    Regards

8. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    my old pixel + is with philips as I speak as I have tried and tried to get a refund, until I refused to have the TV back from the shop I bought it from, there is a fix of kinds for the bars which I had done, only trouble is...it makes other problems, so Im on the 14inch at the moment and for the long term future until I can decide on what to buy next, the picture sure does look good on a 14inch from across the living room, trouble is me and the wife keep falling out over who gets the binoculars. yes I could pull the tv a bit closer, but I dream of these bars you see, and I think Im gonna see em on the 14inch, dam bars !!:zonked:

9. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doogy Dawg,

I can understand your frustration with your Pixel +, I have read your posts on this subject. It really does make one wary of buying any television with the problems encountered on this forum. I know that maybe some televisions are probably o.k. but it's worrying to know that I may be one of the unlucky ones.

I do hope you have luck with your refund; I, too, am hating my l4" tv for living room viewing. I chuckled at the thought of you and your wife sitting there with binoculars! I may resort to that yet. Good luck with your future television!