New Philips pixel plus tv artifacts????

D

defiant11

Hi,
I have recently bought a new widescreen Philips TV. It is the new Philips 329527c Flat Dolby 100hz set.
The picture difference is immediately apparent ,mainly due to the new pixel plus system incorporated and quite frankly is amazingly clear.
However, the one strange thing I am finding is that often you get a noticeable outline around moving objects be it people or vehicles ect. When these moving objects move past certain back grounds noticeably dark colours over white you get a kind of distortion in the picture. Sometimes this can be quite off putting.
As there are various picture settings eg.Pixel plus, 100 hz & double lines I have found that switching to one of the other settings other than pixel plus does help to reduce this problem.
Can you tell me what this is all about, should this be apparent or should I look to change settings depending whether I watch a region 1 or 2 DVD.
For your information my DVD player is a Sony DVP-S536D.

regards Carl

The "halo" around moving objects in front of complicated objects is a know side effect of digital natural motion... on my TV the effect tends to show mainly on low-bitrate SKy digital channels. I rarely see the effect on DVDs.

Hi RCT,
Wasnt digital natural motion meant to make transisions smoother on fast moving objects?
If this is a side effect are Philips suggesting any solution or alternative setup.

Regards Carl

Well the idea is mainly to smooth out pans accross a scene where one normally can see juddering. As yet, no motion compensation system developed has been able to cope well with fast moving objects.

The only way to get around the artefacts is to watch in pure 100Hz mode, which in my opinion, although it is very good, somewhat defeats the point of having a Pixel+ set.

RCT, I would agree. The picture is so much better in pixel plus that the occasional artifact is acceptable.
As a matter of interest what are the main difference between you r tv and this one?
Do you run a 5.1 cinema system with your TV?
Regards Carl

Originally posted by defiant11
what are the main difference between you r tv and this one?

32" 9617 has a Panasonic Quintrix F tube, 9527, a Philips Cybertube. My TV also has built in Dolby digital decoding (which is rather good for an integrated system) and two cordless rear speakers. It also has an additional SCART socket and doesn't have any of the 4:3/16:9 switching issues of the 9527, mentioned in detail on other threads.

I use the TVs integrated 5.1 system, i don't have any separates, given the convenience (and the fact that the sound is quite good) this does me fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom