New Philips MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by AGS, Nov 5, 2005.

1. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does indeed look very interesting - decent spec too, with a 250GB hard drive, 512MB RAM, Pentium 4 processor etc. The only thing I'm not too clear on is whether the dual tuners are analogue or digital. I have emailed Philips about this but have yet to hear anything. I am hoping for dual Freeview tuners, but I suppose to allow the machine to be used with Sky and cable as well they could fit dual hybrid tuners?

3. StevieB

StevieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I saw this PC in use on Saturday in Solihull
    Intel were there demonstrating it with the new Philips 9830 LCD TV.

It looks exactly the same as the HiGrade DMS.

It is being released at the end of this week/beginning of next week, and from what the woman from Intel was saying, there might be a chance of uprgrading to a Dual Core processor and 1 Gig of RAM in their upgrade list.

No idea of pricing yet, but the machine is really smart looking, and performance looks really good.

They had it demonstrating some Hi Def footage, and in combination with the LCD tv, it was stunning.

They are going to be demonstrating it in Birmingham in the Bullring Shopping Centre on 15th November and they did mention being in Sheffield this week I think.

It's going on my shopping list!!!!

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,422
    Considering it states the tuners are provided by nVidia, I wouldn't keep hopes up for DVB-T...Typical Philips in my eyes, come up with great products and then just not make it on the finishing line...

5. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Philips had one of these on their stand at the What HiFi/Stuff show at the weekend.

It looked pretty impressive.

The guy demoed it running a HiDef picture and it looked good.

They also had it hooked up to some of their Streamium products, with music being streamed from it to their devices.

When I spoke to the guy on the stand, he told me that Philips will be expanding their Streamium range in 2006 with loads of new devices ranging from Wall mounted CD/Streamium/radio players to bedside clock radios with Streamium.

They will also be combining Windows MCE with Streamium as seen by the new media centre here. See the press release here :
    Philips & Microsoft partnership

Philips vision is: access content anywhere, anytime, something I think most people on this forum want !

6. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    StevieB - what shop were they demo-ing it in in Solihull and any clue which one in the Bullring ? Did they mention anything about digital v analogue tuners and were you able to tell how quiet [or not] the machine was ?

7. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping and praying that this thing has digital tuners, as it sounds exactly what I have been looking for. It would be INCREDIBLY shortsighted of Philips to release this with analogue only tuners. When I see analogue only products I sometimes wonder whether these companies realise analogue switch-off is looming here in the UK? Media Center is at its best when recording from a digital source i.e. DVB-T. I have a horrible feeling Philips are going to screw this product up :(

8. StevieB

StevieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well I went into John Lewis's and there was a guy from Intel setting a system up in the demo room downstairs in the AV section, and he was the one I had a long chat to about all things AV. He had some interesting insite into future products as well. Opened my eyes.

But they had a big demo stand in the middle of Touchwood itself, in the big round area by the Bear Factory. Not sure whether they are still there though, as I think they were moving round the country.

As for in the Bull Ring, the guy I spoke to said they would be in the main areas, not in a specific shop.

What I would say about the display is though, that it is being hosted by Intel and NOT Philips. They well have more information next Tuesday, but when I spoke to them on Saturday, they didn't know exactly what the spec/prices were going to be.

As for sound, the one in the main areas was impossible to tell how loud it was, but thats where I had the advantage of hearing the one set up in John Lewis. Put it this way, you couldn't tell it was on, but you must remember that these stores are never quiet, but even when he was showing me the Hi Def video, I never once heard a sound from the machine.

9. suwarrow

suwarrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any idea when they might actually release this?

The press releases talk about an October release but it's now December...

10. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    Spotted a Sony HTPC in this months T3 (UK Tech Mag, page 20), with optional network (wireless) connected 200 CD/DVD jukebox.
    Yep and running MCE, HDMI Output and Freeview tuner.

Available around February 2006. Price TBD
    Not seen anything in the internet about it though!

Looks like a cross between a Sony Vaio PC on it's side and a HiFi quality DVD Player (slot loading).

11. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :)

Springtide, the Sony HTPC you mention is called "Digital Living System" and at the moment is only available in the USA at the Sony Style shops.

Having seen one up close, it looks very desirable indeed :thumbsup:

Here is the link Sony Digital Living System

Del :smoke:

12. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
  13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,422
    Yeah I saw that in T3 as well....That would have been the only machine pursuading me not to build my own if it was available....I think its great...

14. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    looks sweet. I notice it can only go up to 1080i though. What's the changer thing exactly?

15. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Analogue tuners also work for Sky Digiboxes.. So not a big deal about the switch off. And Sky may not be great quality but it beats Freeview hands down for quality using S-Video inputs if you ask me! A dual analogue tuner, two digiboxes and MCE gives you a Sky+ system on steroids.

16. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    That is probably because they are using the same core chassis from Tatung that Hi-Grade (and Alienware) use, as Jon Sayers of Elonex mentioned in another thread. The front panel looks good though.

These units seem to come in with a standard Intel motherboard and with a dual analogue tv tuner setup from Avermedia but perhaps Philips have changed the tuner, but do NVidea produce tuner cards? This chassis was used by Intel in early demonstrations and I think is one of their reference designs.

The Philips has a scart output which is useful but otherwise seems to offer little that Hi-Grade or Elonex do not already offer. The delay could be due to many things but maybe the problem of getting a 100% stable software set-up or perhaps waiting for a dual tuner DVB-T card that Hi-Grade also are would like as there is no room for two PCI cards in a DMS2?

17. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have emailed Philips about this machine several times but have yet to receive a reponse as to when it is likely to be released. Interestingly, if you go to the contact/support section on Philips web site and enter "MCP3950" you can download the quick start guides and view the FAQ.

Sadly however, having looked through the quick start guide it appears the two tuners are analogue only. The connection options mention connecting Sky boxes, Freeview boxes, or an analogue terrestrial signal, but no dual DVB-T option :( This is a HUGE mistake IMHO. Surely if they had fitted two hybrid tuners they could have covered all bases? Without the dual DVB-T option I won't be buying one. A missed opportunity by Philips :mad:

18. StevieB

StevieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I emailed Philips also, just after I first saw the demo.

I got a reply from them just before Xmas, saying they had had problems with their servers, and had lost all emails they had received.

Quite funny though, I got a free gift off them to say sorry. A new micro LED torch came in the post just before New Year, its pretty cool as well.

How mad is that!

19. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Think the new Sony Vaio HTPC including compatible 200 disc changer unit beats this into the ground, me though i think self building offers the best solution...:thumbsup:

20. StevieB

StevieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    http://www.mediacenterpcworld.com/news/609

I saw this article yesterday, and this uses Sony 400 disc changers.

Haven't read the article fully, so not too sure whether this is a full blown Media Centre or not, but it is a legal dvd distribution centre, that is less than half the price of the kaleidoscape one.

Another option I suppose

21. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
  22. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like the Sony system is coming to the UK in Feb, but minus the 200 disc changer (press release). Note the wording "hybrid TV tuner" i.e. single tuner. No dual DVB-T tuners in this either :mad:. Not a bad price though - under £1000 including VAT (you can pre-order it here). No dual tuners means I won't be buying it - I have ordered a system from Tranquil instead.

23. shimmy

shimmy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as an AV virgin I have no idea what dual tuners do in the media centres. The pioneer XDE has dual tuner does this make up for it??

24. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dual tuners basically mean you can record one channel whilst watching another, or record two channels at once. This is very useful even for programmes that do not overlap completely, as the start and end times can be padded e.g. record from 19:28 to 20:03 on one channel and from 19:58 to 20:33 on another. That would not be possible with a single tuner system. And of course, you can be recording something whilst watching another channel live. Put it this way, if a £50 Freeview box can do I certainly want a £1000+ media center PC to be able to do it!!!