New Philips Hue Entertainment api apps for Ambilght effects

Training4all

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on since the announcement for the Philips Hue Entertainment api being released to third party developers. Now that we should have all received the entertainment update to our v2 hubs, I thought I might start a thread where we could combine a list of apps/companies that are on-board with the development & share any early user experiences.

These apps will all link direct to your Philips Hue v2 hub & will take control of the lights that you have previously assigned to your hue entertainment zone in the Philips Hue app. The app will then try to sync those lights to whatever is on your screen to give a whole room ambilight experience to any one that has a few Philips Hue lights.

I’ll kick off with an app I’ve found promising that I have been trying out called Huestacean v2.0. The app is currently only at the alpha stage of development but so far I am impressed with the effect I’ve been able to achieve using Six Various Hue lights/lightstrips I already had positioned around my viewing room for ambience lighting.

I’m currently using four lights covering the corners of the room. A lightstrip behind the TV & the main Light in the center of the room. This setup produces quite an immersive lighting experience without much lag on my PC. I’m also using Ethernet to connect the PC to my 55inch Samsung TV via my home network but it will work equally as well using HDMI or casting via WiFi to your TV although the latter may have the effect of producing more lag. I would like to try to create a simulated Ambilight Experience on my existing Samsung TV at some point but whole room Ambilight effect I’ve been able to achieve so far is quite impressive.

If anyone else would like to try the app, it can be found here BradyBrenot/huestacean on github. Where you will find both a Windows & Android versions available for free download.

Another app that has officially come on board is called this app has PC, Windows Mobile & Xbox one versions. Currently available for £2.79 but every now & again they do offer a free trial period. Razer are also working on compatibility with the games they produce.

If anyone here knows of any other apps/companies on-board even in the development stage, please post the details here & I will keep adding any links to the main post.

Apps using Philips Entertsinment API

Huetascan v.2 alpha - BradyBrenot/huestacean
Hue Dynamics - The Ultimate Windows 10 Hue Lights App • hueDynamic for Philips Hue
All4Hue on Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.renewahl.all4hue&hl=en

Hue Ambilight Kodi addon - mpolednik/script.kodi.hue.ambilight
(Does NOT use the new Entertainment api in the current version)

Last edited:
All4Hue on Android has Beta entertainment versions of the original effects it includes (disco, colour loop and bonfire)

there's a kodi add-on that works with hue lights. The ambilight feature doesn't work if you have hardware acceleration on so you might have trouble. It also has a theatre mode to turn lights on/off as you start and stop shows. Was easy to set up, give it a google.

All4Hue on Android has Beta entertainment versions of the original effects it includes (disco, colour loop and bonfire)

Added to the main post Thank you

there's a kodi add-on that works with hue lights. The ambilight feature doesn't work if you have hardware acceleration on so you might have trouble. It also has a theatre mode to turn lights on/off as you start and stop shows. Was easy to set up, give it a google.

Yes I have the Kodi addon also but unfortunately it does not use the new entertainment api therefore unable to pinpoint specific parts of the screen to the individual lights in the room. it tends to pick the most dominent screen colour & send that colour to all the lights at the same time which is not as precise as when using the Entertainment api but I've added the github links for the addon anyway in case anyone would like to try it out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom