1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Philips DVD Recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chriscarthy, Aug 3, 2002.

?
  1. Philips DVDR 1000

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Philips DVDR 980 or 985

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Philips DVDR 880 or 890

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  4. Panasonic DMR E20 or Pioneer DVD 7000

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. chriscarthy

chriscarthy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone, Ive just heard about the release of the new Philips DVDR880 and 890 DVD Recorders! Is anyone considering buying one of these players or does anyone already have one?

Whats the cheapest you can find the DVDR 880 for in the UK?
    Ive seen it for £399 in Letsbuyit.co.uk and KKelectronics.co.uk!
    Does anyone know of a better price!?!

Please help,
    Thanks a million:confused: :)

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    I to use the DMRE20 which I use in conjunction with a PC DVD-RAM/R drive to produce 'authored' DVDs! The Variable Rate mode on the DMRE20 (which I only discovered after someone pointed it out on these forums) is fantasic.

4. chriscarthy

chriscarthy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info but I still think the Panasonic is far to expensive compared to the new philips machines. Im hoping to get a DVDR 880 as this is the cheapest model and also the best looking in my view, anybody find a good deal on this machine?
    thanks

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    400 is in all liklihood the cheapest you'll find the 880 for a while - at least until maybe nearer Christmas.
    The new Pana I've seen for 473, though it's very early for this as yet in any case.
    If you take a look on dvdwriters.co.uk there are news stories reporting how Taiwanese chip makers ALi and co are going to push prices down further for end/Christmas next year.
    The ideal unit would be the Pana HS2 with its HDD, but that comes at a 400+ premium, not justifiable cost wise.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    When is the Panasonic DVD-RAM/HDD combo going to be released? I was looking for some information about it without luck. The similar Toshiba model, the RD-X1, looks fantasic especially as it has a 80GB HDD, but that's not available until 2003.

7. junk

junk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought an 890 at the weekend and so far so good, great quality and discs play on all the players I've tried. Did a few timer recordings via vid+ and worked fine.
    well worth a look!

8. Sammy1001

Sammy1001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered a DMR-HS2 as it does have all the features I wanted from a consumer DVD recorder.
    I did have a Philips 890 on order but all the bad things on various other forums put me off.
    The e30 was going to be an option, but it doesn't have firewire. I also like the thought of the Hard disk and the pc card slot for smart media from my digital camera.
    I have preordered for £859, and hopefully will be released soon, but I suspect not before Nov/Dec - it was released 1st August in Japan, it then goes to USA then Europe.

If you do a search for DMR-HS2 in Google you should get a few links for info.

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Believe it's available in U.K. September.

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    RD-X1 is a Panasonic OEM as you probably know, Toshiba are reeling from the competitive pricing of Panasonic DMR-HS2 @RRP £999. If Toshiba bring the 80GB model into U.K. it is projected to be RRP £1500, a problem.

11. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Quote: Thanks for that info but I still think the Panasonic is far to expensive compared to the new philips

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fair enough but being worried about a machines "looks" is the last thing you should be doing! It's what's under the bonnet that counts.

Going for the cheapest can sometimes prove more expensive in the long run. I came close to buying into the +RW format. Boy am I glad I did not........

12. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I am the only DVDR1000 owner so far. I purchased it as soon as it became available and am delighted with it but it would appear that the more recent machines are better.

13. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Waiting for a machine with a HDD would be the safest option to be sure you get what you intended - a recording and not a coaster. The latter being the thing that's holding me off buying a unit. Anyone that reads the various forums will find post upon post of people with failed discs. The costs of non-HDD units are dropping but there are still far too many supplying people with dud results and stress. In short, reliability and price need addressing IMO.;)

14. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
  15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    I'm surprised by this - I hadn't heard a bad word about any of the DVD Recorders with regards to their reliability. Certainly I have made over 300 DVD-Rs on my DMRE20 and all work perfectly and as for my 75 DVD-RAM disks they have proven to be an extremely reliable and effective media usable both with my PC and DMRE20.

I fully agree a combo HDD/DVD-Whatever is the way forward though - I intend to purchase a DMR-HS2 or RD-X1 as soon as one becomes available.

16. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have made lots of discs without any failures, could it be the cheapo discs folks are experimenting with?
    Has anyone experienced failure with Panasonic/Philips discs?
    Just wondering.......