1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PDA

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by ducati996, Apr 24, 2003.

1. ducati996

ducati996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all!!

I was looking for an entry level PDA & I came across this new model called the Mitac Mio 338 Pocket PC.

Its available in a few places for £199 inc VAT.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding pros & cons of Pocket PC's?

Or , Would I be better off with say a Palm Zire or an base model Sony Clie?

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?sbadd=MIO338&code=MIO338

Regards ducati996

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I've got a palm Tungsten T (299 from Dixons) built in bluetooth, mp3 player, photo software - brilliant. tons of software and supposedly a lot faster than Pocket Pc

The interface to outlook etc is seamless.

Palm have just anounced an updated Zire 7I with built in web cam new faster processor, colour screen etc. the original Zaire (around £70) was only mono, this new model is 249.99 a little over your budget but closer to the Tungsten

heres the link....
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?news/news_story.php?id=41033

3. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er, or I got my Tungsten-T from Simply for £265 (well, actually I don't pay VAT, so it cost me £225 but I realise that not everybody's in that position).

4. ducati996

ducati996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

My budget is around £200 tops because to be honest I like my Filofax & I'm not convinced I'll use it.

I was hoping to get some advice regarding the pros & cons of each system.

EG Pocket PC & Palm.

Regards ducati996

5. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK then - pocket PC is generally for lazy people. In terms of syncing documents, the palm is (allegedly) quicker at it than most pocket pc machines. A guy at work has been away for 3 weeks and his pocket pc died and lost all his data. Palms just don't do that. I am biased I know, but you seem to get more for your money with a palm, and if you get a monochrome one, the battery life is bonkers - 6 weeks between recharge is my record (on old palm V) - most pocket pc machines that I've heard of tend to last about a day. Pocket pc machines do tend to have a lot more memory, but that's because they need it to do anything.

6. ducati996

ducati996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice XIO.

Thats very helpful & was more the stuff I was trying to find out.

Like I said before ,Its mainly a Filofax replacement so its for appointments & numbers etc.

Regards ducati996