Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New PD50 seems ok so far

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hedwig-0101, Mar 12, 2005.

1. hedwig-0101

hedwig-0101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to upgrade my rental tv to a PD50 about 3 weeks ago. That was before I found this site and read the problems people have been having with the PD50.

I waited for the deliver and it arrived today. I set it up and hoped for the best.

So for all seems well. Picture is perfect. RGB in and Component all ok. I can hear a slight buzzing but only if I place my ear to the side of the cabinet. I certainly can't hear it from my seating position. Even with the tv on mute.

Anyway, my reason for posting is to ask whether it is likely to develop any problems over the first few days/weeks? Or is it generally that is it is good to begin with then all should be well?

Any advice on what to look out for.

Thanks

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    And Mrs TG accuses ME of being paranoid! :rotfl:

No, there's no need to worry.

If you get through the first couple of days, it should last for years (it's called the Bath-Tub Curve).

Incidentally, how do you watch the picture whilst your ear is against the cabinet? ;)

3. Simcom

Simcom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hedwig,
    I've had my 36" PD50 just over a month now and after a few teething problems am very happy with it.
    I had problems with Geometery (bending vertical lines) but have just about resolved this in the Service Menu. Reading this forum all large screen CRT's suffer with this problem to some degree.
    Ignore the buzzing. It appears to be a feature of this set. Mine is also too quiet to notice in my normal viewing position.
    You will also found the Virtual Dolby Digital does absolutely nothing, but again this appears to be the same across the board. Let me know if yours is the same.
    The picture quality is excellent and everybody admires it's looks.
    Enjoy your set and please continue to share your experiences with the rest of us.
    I can't believe how addicted I've become to this forum.

4. hedwig-0101

hedwig-0101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys.

I also have noticed that the Virtual Dolby does nothing, but I expected that from reading on here.

I also expected a lot of other problems too. Looks like I got lucky.

5. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Hedwig, I know how you feel as I bought one of the last PD30's from an internet store a week and a half ago.
    I had already read through this thread but thought it worth the risk especially as the store had a 7 day no quibble return policy.
    Like Simcom I had a few geometry problems which 30 minutes in the service menu put right and yes I can just about hear a buzz from 2 feet away in a silent room.
    Probably the biggest problem I had was setting the contrast and brightness levels so that I could make out as much black detail as possible whilst ensuring that light scenes or white objects didn't glare out at me, the main adjustment was to back the contrast off and increase brightness accordingly.
    Anyway I've now got things set up pretty well to my liking and the picture is better than anything I have ever seen before (broadcast quality permitting).

Only time will tell if reliability is going to be an issue but with a stonkin picture like I've got now I think it's well worth the risk.

Regards, MikeD