New PC

cpc3232

Standard Member
Hi

I've been pondering getting a new pc for a month or so now as my rubbish Pentium D doesn't really cut it.

I can build it and have been looking on scan at parts but im very confused by the different specs n that.

basically i want a machine that can play CoH on best settings possible. Not to worried bout DX 10 so a 9 card will be fine. I only need the base unit but i need all the parts as i cant use any from my old machine. Also i would like it to have a tv card in it so i can record freeview.

Any help would be good thanks!

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Funky board, Intel Quad, 2 gig ram, X1950Pro, couple of 500 gigs, pair of DVB-T cards, other randomness - yawn :)

cpc3232

Standard Member
I was hoping if someone could point out specific stuff really. I already know roughly what i want just i dont know what works well together.

tinners

Novice Member
how much do you want to spend ?

- Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0
- Abit IP-35E / Gigabyte P35 DS3P / Asus P5K Wifi
- 2GB Corsair TwinX PC5400 or 6400
- 500GB Samsung HD501LJ
- 320MB XFX 8800GTS XT or DX9 X1950PRO / XT
- Hauppauge DVB-T or Nova T 500

cpc3232

Standard Member
about 600 would be good but i could stretch to 800 if need be
Ive put this together on scan looks pretty good anyone see any problems with it?

newpc.jpg

SeanT

Distinguished Member
1. Having read some hard disc reviews recently (been looking for one for myself) aren't there better 500 gigs out there - ie. WD and Samsung?
2. I assume that's some sort of turbo blow your nuts off PCI-e X1950Pro as it's almost double the price of the overclockers offering?
3. The DDR3 compatible mobo is like 8 quid more, for a bit of future proofing?
4. Nice PC :)

tinners

Novice Member
about 600 would be good but i could stretch to 800 if need be
Ive put this together on scan looks pretty good anyone see any problems with it?
Nice spec, few recommendations:

• Like SeanT said get the Samsung HD501LJ instead of the CrapstorDo you need 2 Lightscribe writers ?
  • PSU is overkill go for a 520W Corsair - £64.50
  • Go for the Antec P182 - £78.48
  • Would recommend P5K over P5B (just from reading some reviews of the P5K - great board) Asus P5KC, iP35- £89.17
  • You might also want to check out the Gigabyte GA P35C-DS3R - £72.49
  • Just get the cheaper Sapphire 1950 (512MB Sapphire RX1950Pro - £96.81) and overclock it yourself using ATITool and save yourself a few squid)
  • Your case will have front ports so bin the Silverstone thing and go for one of these thus saving one of your drive bays

cpc3232

Standard Member
Thanks I've taken what you've said into account and instead included them in my pc. I just have a few questions

Will the new psu handle a Dx10 card in the future?

Also i want to take out the 160gb IDE HDD in my current pc and put it as a second drive in my new one so can i just plug it in, as my current pc is split into user and im using the administrator account and i told it to make all my files private so will i be able to browse everything on it or do i need to change something on it?

Thanks or the help!

Also is it easy to over clock a quad core and would i need a new fan for it?!

tinners

Novice Member
Yes it will handle an 8800 GTS but if you want GTX or one of those 2900XTs which need their own substation then youll want the 620W version

Your drive should work fine, anyway you can just repermission the files on it before you move it if not and add the "everyone" group for full access

Re overclocking take a read of this thread should tell you everything you need to know.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom