1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Astaroth, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Ok....

at the moment at home I have access to 2 PCs - 1 is my work laptop and the other is a rather aging custom built 'desktop'

My problem is that my work laptop is about to be replaced with a shiny new one but it is going to be totally locked down - no USB/CD/DVD/floppy drives - no task manager, no installing software effecting the registry, no ability to create new dial up connections, ethernet locked to only work on the company network.

My home PC used to be used as a test webserver so is - Dual P3 733, 1GB ram, 2 scsi HDs (about 30gig each), Geforce2 32mb graphics card, SB Live sound card. At the moment it is attached to a 17" crt monitor and has no speakers.

I am looking to get a new PC of some description to replace my current home PC as it has developed a number of issues over time (graphics card never worked particularly well with the system) and is very noisy when its left on (currently has 5 built in case fans - one of which is now fairly damaged) and takes up a massive amount of space - has capacity for 6 CD drive size slots, 6 seperate HD slots & 4 floppy drive slots - this was great in the old days but is now very much surplus to requirements.

What I want is a PC (not sure if it is to be a laptop or 'desktop') to mainly be used for surfing the net, playing music (connecting to my HIFI - wireless would be nice but dont know how practical), VOIP, a bit of using DreamWeaver & Photoshop (for webdesign and editing digital photos). Due to the for mentioned previous graphics problems I havent used my pc for gaming and I do not want this to be the main focus of the machine but if it is capable of playing the latest games in a reasonable manor that would be a benefit. I would probably also leave it on most/all of the time and so a very quiet machine would be appreciated.

I have never bought an off the shelf PC before but feel that now I want the convenience of doing so. The other consideration is that I can get a coporate discount on Dell machines - either a discount on "any machine" or a vanilla system which is deducted monthly from my gross salary (ie tax benefits).

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Hi,

Dell's are not my favourites, when I worked in a PC shop we got lots in to fix and they tend to use non-standard parts on occassion. However, youmay find one to suit your needs and they are relatively in-expensive, especially if you can get tax breaks.

Have you considered a cube based PC like a Shuttle?
    They are quiet, small footprint, look ok in the lounge if you want to link it into your hi-fi. My one has an AGP slot, a PCI slot, a DVD drive, two HDD's, takes normal CPU's / memory and you can expand by adding usb hubs.

lisa