New PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by markfj, Apr 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. markfj

markfj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Asking on behalf of my brother, he needs a new PC

I had one built not too long ago and so far its the best PC Ive owned, notably because of its Solid State drive which makes it nice and quick to boot

mine cost around £550 at the time, I think he would spend around £400 on a custom PC, but I'm abit of a technophobe when it comes to PC specs etc

He mostly uses for youtube/streaming etc and word processing but not much more than that so doesn't need anything extreme

Does anyone have some ideas on wich processor/specs/etc she should look at getting?

Ive got an intel i5 with an SSD and love it, but I'm not sure he even needs an i5

cheers

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    A lot of it depends on what form factor PC he wants, the criteria to look for in a laptop or tablet will be different to a desktop.

3. markfj

markfj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he is looking for a desktop, should have said

4. icemanfrosty

icemanfrosty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I would personally go for a amd apu it has a built in Gpu just encase he wants to run some games and enough cpu power to run most tasks he wants to do.
    They are also very cheap compared to the intel siblings which I think is over kill for your friends needs. Mix this with a mini itx board 8gb of ram is cheap these day. A decent 7200 drive 3.5 1tb will only be around the 40 pound mark.

5. icemanfrosty

icemanfrosty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This is a budget build to show you how cheap you can go a for a decent enough pc with room to expand if he wishes to later on
    Add in psu Corsair CP-9020097-UK VS550 ATX/EPS Vs Series 80 Plus Power Supply Unit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories £34

Hard drive Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories £40

and a case mini itx Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Cube Case with Fan: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

£40

just over 200 gets you a nice PC with room to expand add another 4 gb of ram or a external gpu.

Hope this gives you a rough idea

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Every mainstream chip on the market, except for AMD's old FX series, combines CPU and GPU.

Only if you squint a bit and use a criteria that favours their design, for more common criteria they're not as good value.

For a desktop I'd say:

SSD
    DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 output (to support the higher DPI monitors that are rapidly dropping in price)
    8GB of memory.

CPU power isn't terribly important. I'd avoid the low power consumption models (N and J prefix for Intel, AMD model numbers ending in -10) and probably AMD's single module chips (A4 and A6 branding) as they're not great value for money.

7. markfj

markfj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers,

I must admit, we know nothing about builing pc's so was either looking at a custom built from somewhere like Mesh computers where I bought mine, or someone suggested this one on Amazon, as apparently its likely custom built but anyway Fierce ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC - 4.0GHz AMD Desktop Gaming PC - Home Family Office Computer (WIFI, 16GB, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Radeon R7 Series, Windows 10) - 211085: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

He spefically wanted one with a SSD and a hard drive, other than that I doubt hes too fussy if its remains quick and lasts a long time

8. icemanfrosty

icemanfrosty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Personally i would not go for something like that trust me.

These are a better option and are tried and tested all you would have to put in is a ssd drive and install windows, You get alot of PC for your money

amd version Zoostorm Desktop PC

intel I3 version Zoostorm Home Media Desktop PC