8x 3format dvd writer
16xrom
52x cdr/rw
2gb ram
5960 nvidia agp
17inch onyx black sony lcd

i know its good

but

will it be be suitable for wmv9hd and full .ts ?

No. Your hard disks are too small. You only have 37gb of space in raid1. raid0 will double the bandwidth and allow 74gigs, but still wont be anough for storing multiple movies on your hard disk.

Better off going for standard 250gb SATA, or 2x160 raid0 SATA drives at standard 7200rpm, with the new fluid bearing systems.

Your current drives will be very noisy.

That system would be fine..... in a hush enclosure!
:suicide:

You might want to swap your graphics card for a decent Radeon though.

y what dif will it make?

It' will quieten the system, all those drives going will be louder than the film you're watching.

either a hush enclosure or put it in another room.

Xeons dont really take kindly to light cooling either.

might want to swap your graphics card for a decent Radeon though

y over the nvidia?

the case has three whisper fans

Well documented that they handle DVD playback better and are more flexible
er no its not its documented that there is little to no dif

Originally posted by dvdmike
Well documented that they handle DVD playback better and are more flexible
er no its not its documented that there is little to no dif

That would explain all the people using Radeon over Nvidia cards then... :rolleyes:

Sounds like overkill to me to be honest. Can you really justify dual Xeon CPUs and 2GB RAM? I assume you're also using it for some gaming as well, because I can see no other reason for going all the way up to the 5900 series cards, considering how expensive and noisy they are.

Noise and heat are going to be a big problem. Do I read it correctly that you are planning on 4 high performance HDDs, 2 CPUs and a top end video card, and intend to put that in your lounge maybe?

If it's a dedicated HTPC, I would seriously consider the following:

only a pair of HDDs (and the quietest ones you can find)
a single high end CPU with a quiet CPU cooler
a rethink on the graphics card. I have a 5900, but for a HTPC I'd consider a lesser ATI of some kind.
make sure all your case and power suppy fans are 25db or less
1GB RAM maximum unless you actually have a use for it.

I'm not sure what the current position with nvidia cards is, but I can tell you that I have found it impossible to get a 50hz pal refresh rate. It refuses to do anything less than 60hz as a "supported resolution". I have tried nvidia support (haha) who will not respond to me!! Unless this has changed (or one of the many better informed users of this forum tell me to the contrary) you may wish to give some thought to the Radeon cards.

its built and installed now water cooled can run 2x1080i films at the same time 60% cpu usage and the pcix 6800 will be in there when released and the philips dual layer dvd recorder

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom