new pc? or sli board upgrade

SteDaley

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a phenom ii x4 940 with 8gb ddr2 and a gigabyte mobo, I've fitted a kuhler 920 and a 460gtx as well as appropriate ssd and hd upgrade
This system works fine but I don't k ow whether its worth upgrading, I know quad core is still up to date but would it be worth upgrading now or does anyone know if Intel will be surprising anything later this year?

If I were upgrading it would only be CPU mobo and ram, but will I see a greater leap if I move to a 2500k? Or 3750k? Ddr3 and a new chipset, which will support 460gtx sli?

Or is it worth waiting? I know tech is out of date wuthing weeks but will anything come out that will make me put the x4 in the bin?

Any help on what is good atm, or predicted would be good..

Are

ivy bridge has only just been released so i would say an intel i5 sandy or ivy would be pretty big upgrade and i certainly would not buy another motherboard for the phenom because of it's age now

are intel releasing anything new soon? that will improve on the Ivy Bridge?

This system works fine

Don't try to fix what ain't broken. If you're happy with it's current performance then spending money now would just get your poor value.

Even if there doesn't turn out to be anything significant that's released for the rest of the year companies still get better at manufacturing chips and prices will drop.

I know that there have been estimates placing AMD's second generation fusion chips using a new core design before the end of this year, given that AMD is behind then they're no likely to be a huge leap over Intel's Ivy Bridge even if they do take the performance crown.

Intel are part way through releasing Ivy Bridge (i7s and i5s done, i3s, Pentiums and Celerons still to come) so the Socket 1150 Haswell processors are likely to be nine months or more away.

well it works but i think its just lacking for such big system, I really will consider ivy bridge, hopefully prices will come down towards christmas, looking at,

I5 3570k,
16GB Ram
Asus Maximus V Gene,

I need help with a case, PSU and HD storage

I already have a Kuhler 920 h20, and a 24inch monitor, Corsair SSD,

Case is whatever you fancy and on the hard drive front just pick up whatever is cheapest at the capacity you want, if you're using it as a second drive.

Power supply will depend on whether you keep the GTX 460 or go for something different. Your current TX650W will handle anything you throw at it short of a dual-GPU setup (and it'll handle some of those too).

Do you have any use for 16GB of ram? Bear in mind that many applications (and almost all games) are still 32-bit processes so will be limited to 4GB usage per program on a 64-bit system (2GB on a 32-bit system).

I will be using duel screens with HD video encoding/decoding, and running games too, not to mention analysis software for diagnosing people pcs problems,

I will be using duel screens with HD video encoding/decoding, and running games too, not to mention analysis software for diagnosing people pcs problems,

What are they duelling over?

None of that sounds particularly memory intensive, are any of those uses regularly maxing out your current 8GB?

dvi and Hdmi, 22inch monitor and my 32inch tv, and it is ddr2 remember, 8gb ddr2 :/ and i will be using adobe photoshop when i get my dual boot set up, i think thats high memory usage,

ddr2 remember, 8gb ddr2 :/

For almost all programs memory speed is sufficiently fast to put the bottlenecks elsewhere and there's no difference between DDR2 and DDR3.

Will you be using Photoshop CS5 or Photoshop Elements 10? Photoshop Elements seems to be still a 32-bit program so it cannot use more than 4GB of memory (2GB on a 32-bit OS)

I should say it's not the same situation as a 32-bit OS, it's not limited to the first 4GB. It can use any of the 8GB or 16GB memory space, just not more than 4GB worth.

CS5, and i have 64bit windows 7 N, why was the DDR2 to DDR3 switch so big? I thought the improved speeds helped Windows 7

I think you'll find it helped manufacturing costs and increased chip sizes more.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom