New PC old with old my old Windows 7 OEM OS

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Strider2027, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Strider2027

Strider2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I want to build a totally new PC to replace the one I built over 2 years ago. I don't want to use windows 8 as I tried it for a month and didn't get on with it. I want to wipe the OS from my current PC.

So I will have my original Windows 7 OEM OS spare. Will I be able to reactivate it by phone with Microsoft on my new PC build as I don't want to buy another Windows 7 licence?

2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,886
    I think with the OEM you can change some parts but not transfer it, after activation the license is locked to that PC.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    An OEM license is locked to the original PC it was installed & activated on - by PC it is really means the motherboard. So if you want to build a new PC you will need to buy another copy of Windows or you will be in breach of the OEM EULA.
    Only a retail copy of Windows can be transferred to another PC, and only if removed from the original PC it was installed on.

Mark.

4. Strider2027

Strider2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks guys. I did some internet search's on the subject and some seem to have had success reactivating there OEM version on a new PC/mainboard after calling Microsoft. I couldn't see an instance of anyone doing it lately though so I wasn't sure.

5. snooper

snooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    When you first register windows it makes notes of elements of your PC i.e motherboard make and other bits. You could try and say your motherboard is broken hence the new PC build and see if that gets you anywhere. If you don't ask you don't get, worth a try.