• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New PC help

gillbee

Established Member
My desktop has been creaking for the past 6 months so it's well beyond replacement time. Trouble is my component knowledge is so out of date.

I'm currently running with the following :
Atholong64 MB (ATX)
Athlon64 3200 processor
1024MB DDR
2x200GB SATA
128MB Radeon 9800
Sony 16x DVD
XP Pro

I hook the PC to the TV for media playback so I want something that will handle HD and sound well for when I eventually get my new TV. I ruled out a HTPC as I work from home a bit so like the conventional setup for programming.

I'm not into gaming so I'm looking around the 500 mark. I don't mind doing the build myself but want to get decent components which will allow me to upgrade in the future.

Can anyone point me in the right direction - I'm sure I used a site previously which recommended components based on what you wanted your PC for (gaming, graphics editing, programming, tunes, tv / movies) but for now I am a little lost in the minefield of components.

Thanks.

gillbee

Established Member
Looks like I can workaround an HTPC - had a concern about using the monitor when the TV was in use as well as splitting the sound - but it seems these are things that can be worked around.
Will investigate mediaPC and see if I can find something in my price range I can use as a base build. I'm sure there will be more questions to follow!
Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom