New PC Hard Drive Noise

Reaction score
After years of using a laptop I decided to buy a desktop today from PC World.

This is the one I got HP G5370uk Desktop PC.

It runs fine and fast, but the problem I'm having is hard drive noise, it seems loader than what it should be to me.

I'm not sure if this is just because I've been using a laptop for a few years which was practically silent apart from the fan or if there is something wrong with the hard drive.

It only makes the noise when in use i.e. reading/writing data.

Should I just get used to the noise as it's normal or should I take the computer back to PC World?

Thanks for any help guys :)

Most HDD's are virtually silent these days but if you've been used to laptop you could notice it I suppose?

Do you know the HDD brand. Most HDD manufacturers offer diagnostic software on their sites that you could run just to set your mind at ease.

Most HDD's are virtually silent these days but if you've been used to laptop you could notice it I suppose?

Do you know the HDD brand. Most HDD manufacturers offer diagnostic software on their sites that you could run just to set your mind at ease.

Not sure of the HDD Brand, don't really want to open it up to check as that could void the warranty.

Control Panel > System > Device Manager

Should give you the model number under Disk Drives.

The Samsung diagnostic software is called HUTIL and is on this page, skip to the bottom of the flowchart. The link isn't visible for me possibly because I haven't got a Samsung HDD installed. Is it visible to you?

Try running it if you can find it, it won't do anything to the data but hopefully you'll get a pass.

Last edited:
The Samsung diagnostic software is called HUTIL and is on this page, skip to the bottom of the flowchart. The link isn't visible for me possibly because I haven't got a Samsung HDD installed. Is it visible to you?

Try running it if you can find it, it won't do anything to the data but hopefully you'll get a pass.

No but I goggled it and got it download and burnt to disc, but it doesn't run.

OK got the diagnostic working, it came back with no errors.

It really does seem loud to me, not silent at all.

It's not vibration rather a problem with the HDD is it?

You either have a look inside (I don't think it will viod the warranty because this implies you aren't allowed to upgrade it in any way?) or return it if you're not happy.

It's not vibration rather a problem with the HDD is it?

You either have a look inside (I don't think it will viod the warranty because this implies you aren't allowed to upgrade it in any way?) or return it if you're not happy.

Well the hard drive works fine so it probably could be vibration.

I might try taking it out of the bay and seeing what it sounds like then.

Took it back to PC World today to which they said it wasn't a fault!

Anyway they let me swap it for a different PC, so got an i5 Acer which after using for a few hours is practically silent :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom