New pc for gaming on 64 inch plasma

tintin jones

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm looking to get a new gaming pc for my Samsung f8500 64 inch it's years since I built a gaming pc and just want people's opinions.

As my TV is 1080p what sort of graphics card should I look at to try future proof the pc. I'm presuming something like a nvidia 780ti would be overkill if I'm only outputting at 1080p?

Also I was looking at alienware aurora's how are they rated these days? I don't have the cash to build my own so looking at finance options.

Anything else I should consider spec wise if I'm hooking up to plasma.

Any comments appreciated

Last edited:
It wouldnt be overkill, 2 of them may be.

I would say no! A 780ti is not overkill!.

I am on a 70 inch 1080p tv (dont let anyone tell you its all about the resolution, 1080p is fine imo*, and it is so cool on a big screen)

if you like 60fps frame rates and full bubble detail levels I think you will still be able to push a GTX780ti to the limits with some games. I have a GTX 670 overclocked to the nines, and I cant hope to run some games full detail at 60fps (witcher 2, BF4, Assetto Corsa) and going forward imo you are going to need a 780 if that is your goal (Star Citizen, CARS etc)

indeed, you could argue that a 780ti with only 3GB of ram could actually end up being an issue for super high resolutions. I would say it is just about perfect for top of the line 1080P however.

My next card will either be a maxwell around the 870 level or a GTX780ti

if you want to save a few quid, and if physx is not of interest, £370 could get you an AMD 290X which is a nice fast card too.

*until 4k sets are affordable at that size.

There is no such thing as overkill, that's one of the commandments mate don't say it again :)

I have a 780ti on a 51" plasma and it's beautiful. You'll love it :D

nice tv :smashin:.

if you want to save a few quid, and if physx is not of interest, £370 could get you an AMD 290X which is a nice fast card too.

there is the vanilla 780 as well, i'd either be getting that or the ti in those shoes.

there is the vanilla 780 as well, i'd either be getting that or the ti in those shoes.
Agreed the 780 will spank anything at 1080p, 100" gaming here.

Thanks for the replies lads.
So in terms of future proofing a 780ti would do the job?

Also how would you folks rate the alienware x51? I'm looking for something cinema room friendly only thing is it comes with 760ti instead of the 780ti would I see much of a performance hit using the 760ti?

Also how would you folks rate the alienware x51? I'm looking for something cinema room friendly only thing is it comes with 760ti instead of the 780ti would I see much of a performance hit using the 760ti?

i'd say so, or a 780, non ti, dependant on budget, the x51 are decent if you dont have a clue what youre doing, but buy a prebuilt living room friendly machine, theres a huge performance hit with the 760ti

Thanks mate. If I build myself any cases like the console/PC hybrid similar to the Alienware x51? I just love the look if it

Thanks mate. If I build myself any cases like the console/PC hybrid similar to the Alienware x51? I just love the look if it

not quite, you'd be hard pressed to find anything quite like that, i expect it uses proprietary (ie either very limited or non upgradeable) parts, and alienware are very stylised, so there are some in the same shape, size, orientation etc etc, but the style wont be the same.

The evga hadron air is the best small case ive seen, its absolutely tiny, but it uses a proprietary psu, would fit a reference 780ti though.

Here's a few a landscape mini-itx cases with room for a 12" 2 slot card;
RAVEN by SilverStone
SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- ML07 (should be released later this month)
M8 Series - ASRock Inc. (barebones)
FC10 Fanless Chassis | Streacom (you'll likely need to mod this for external PSU and possibly cooling too, also not 100% sure on max GPU length)

Or if you don't mind cubes or towers:
Thermaltake - - Urban SD1 - CA-1A9-00S1NN-00
Obsidian Series™ 250D Mini ITX PC Case
Cooler Master: Elite 130
EVGA | Products
BitFenix.com » Products » Chassis » Colossus Mini-ITX
Fractal Design

Last edited:
A GTX780 is overkill for 1080p no matter what the size of the screen. Something a lot of people seem to think makes a difference, it could be 100ft 1080p will still only need to process 1080p. Bigger screens mean bigger pixels.

If you've got money to burn go for it, otherwise something like a 280X would be more than up to the job and save you some pennies.

You'd be better of building your own, would save a sh!t tonne of money on those overpriced aliens. But yes a 760Ti will be fine for 1080p. My old GTX470 could handle 1080p no probs.

A GTX780 is overkill for 1080p no matter what the size of the screen. Something a lot of people seem to think makes a difference, it could be 100ft 1080p will still only need to process 1080p. Bigger screens mean bigger pixels.

If you've got money to burn go for it, otherwise something like a 280X would be more than up to the job and save you some pennies.

Depends on the games, and if he wants to max out the game, anti aliasing, etc. I'm sure even a single 780ti will have trouble maxing this years games @ 1080p/60fps (eg Witcher 3).

If you're unable to wait for the 800 series, I'd definitely go for the 780ti.

A GTX780 is overkill for 1080p no matter what the size of the screen. .

But yes a 760Ti will be fine for 1080p. My old GTX470 could handle 1080p no probs.

I challenge you to play witcher 2 on ultra or AC full bubble with 24 cars on a mid range graphics card...... plus AMD are good bang for buck but when supported PhysX is almost a game changer imo. check out the batman comparison vids

going forward gpu demands are only going to get more imo I have a GTX 670 overclocked to the nines. its a solid enough card and I dare say not much slower than a 760ti, but to reccomend it to someone who wants high detail levels for presumably the next few years of gaming, I think is bad advice and suggesting a 470 is up to it on new games plain wrong

each to their own however.

No such thing as overkill.....

Wait, so a 1080p has the same amount of pixels as another 1080p screen? Mindblown.

I'm trying to future proof this as much as i can (within reason) when are the 800 series out?. I already have a PS4 so i'm trying to get best card possible but with the disclaimer that it will "only" be outputting 1080p to my plasma. This is why the x51 caught my eye as its pretty much a PC/console hybrid, i am hoping there will be a new version released soon (x51 R3?) that would have upgraded PSU and GPU but i cant find anything definitive.

Any other options i should look at rather than build my own? The only thing stopping me doing that is the cash outlay (the problem being i dont have any ha) at least with dell/alienware i can get it on credit

I know some shops that sell PC components do credit, but i generally try not to buy things on finance so I have no idea how competitive their rates are. If the interest rates are comparable, then you'll get a much much better deal building your own.

Can you not look into getting an interest free credit card to buy your components with?

It depends what you want, for example if you're anything like me and hate screen tearing v synced is the only option so a gtx 780ti or r9 290x would be perfect becuase you need to keep frames locked at 60 to avoid stutter because a screen this size would exacerbate the affect .

Even for a card like a gtx 780ti playing crysis 3 @ 1080p settings need to be lowered to play at 60 fps vsync
why people say a gtx 780ti is overkill for 1080p is beyond me

A GTX780 is overkill for 1080p
What utter nonsense! I have a 780 classy clocked at 1215mhz, paired with an i7 3770K @ 4.7ghz and I can't max the odd game @ 1080p and maintain a solid 60fps, the 780 is where you want to be right now if you're running a 1080p panel..

Cheers for all the replies folks...i am getting the consensus that the GTX780 is where i need to be going but as i cant get that on the X51 (at least at the moment) what do you think of the alienware aurora? Obviously its a lot bigger and no longer a console/pc hybrid but it would have no issue with PSU/GPU and would be easily upgradable i assume.
Although would it be noisy? as stated i'm trying to fit this into a cinema room so would like to try keep it relatively quiet or at least no louder than my ps4 :) (sneak it under the other halfs nose she'll never know haha)

So its either get one of the alienwares or something similar on credit or start purchasing pc parts here and there over the next number of months to start building my own. Obviously i'd prefer to go down that route but i'm too impatient ha. Looking at overclockersUK and some serious systems on there.

@longy - i agree i would want vsync as screen tear on a 64" plasma would not be a pretty sight

Last edited:
Cheers for all the replies folks...i am getting the consensus that the GTX780 is where i need to be going but as i cant get that on the X51 (at least at the moment) what do you think of the alienware aurora? Obviously its a lot bigger and no longer a console/pc hybrid but it would have no issue with PSU/GPU and would be easily upgradable i assume.
Although would it be noisy? as stated i'm trying to fit this into a cinema room so would like to try keep it relatively quiet or at least no louder than my ps4 :) (sneak it under the other halfs nose she'll never know haha)

So its either get one of the alienwares or something similar on credit or start purchasing pc parts here and there over the next number of months to start building my own. Obviously i'd prefer to go down that route but i'm too impatient ha. Looking at overclockersUK and some serious systems on there.

@longy - i agree i would want vsync as screen tear on a 64" plasma would not be a pretty sight
I would build my own it its half the fun, there's something special doing it your self

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom