• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

new pc case temp display not working

hugmaks

Established Member
hi,
i ordered a PC off eBay and it got here today, thing works great, apart from one thing. the temp display on the case doesn't display the temp just "--"
the display dose show the time and how long it has been on for. dunno if i can post a link to it in here so i will wait for a reply before i do that. if some one could help it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Hugh

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
There's nothing wrong with posting a link.

Was the machine advertised as having a temperature display specifically? If only the front display or clock was mentioned then it may not be intended to work.

The first thing I'd do is contact the seller, it may be they simply forgot to hook up a cable or install the software and can get you sorted in five minutes.

hugmaks

Established Member
thanks for the reply endlesswaves.
here is a link to it AMD QUAD CORE 840 8GB DDR3 GAMING PC COMPUTER 2000GB | eBay . and i did contact the seller and he said "All I can think of is the sender has got a knock in transit" great seller btw, fast responce and he gave me a free upgrade from 3.2 Ghz to 3.6Ghz. but im not that good with pcs so i wouldn't know how to fix it my self.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
and i did contact the seller and he said "All I can think of is the sender has got a knock in transit" great seller btw, fast responce and he gave me a free upgrade from 3.2 Ghz to 3.6Ghz. but im not that good with pcs so i wouldn't know how to fix it my self.

Given that both 3.2Ghz and 3.6Ghz Phenom II X4 processors have been phased out and are no longer being sold he'd probably run out of his stock of the 3.2Ghz model.

I distrust ebay sellers at the best of times, they tend to prioritise big numbers and flashy lights over quality and from your link this chap doesn't seem to be any different. The nVidia 7025 graphics it has for example were released in September 2007 (yes, 2007).

But enough of my moaning, as it's a £300 PC you're probably not particularly bothered about the performance so I'll stick to helping to get it fully working.

The first thing to do is get details of what this display is and how it works as front panel displays aren't a standardised component. If there's no branding on the front of the display then take the side panel off the system (when it's switched off naturally) and see if you can see any model number on the back or whether any of the cables coming from it are loose. I believe these sorts of things tend to be USB devices that connect to the motherboard and are driven by software on the PC so is there any sort of software installed that sounds like it might be related?

If you can take photos of where cables connect as well as any that are unconnected that would be handy to confirm where it expect to get the temperature data from. If there's any going under the CPU cooler (big block of metal with fan attached) then it may be reading the temperature directly.

hugmaks

Established Member
here are some pics i took, had some reflection on some so they arnt the best.

Last edited:

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Hi Hugh, sorry to hear you're having problems with your new purchase!

Can't add much to EW's posts except that you ought to ask the seller for more assistance with this problem as ultimately, he's responsible for fixing it.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I should have specified I only meant the cables coming out of the back of the display rather than cables in general.

The video here suggests that the case uses a temperature sensor rather than connecting to USB so there should be a cable coming from the front of the case somewhere ending in a flat strip of plastic with printed circuitry on it. Obviously it may have been installed somewhere so anything that disappears into a paper-thin gap might be it.

So it's probably not software dependant, I'm not sure why it would be giving a -- reading if the cable had just slipped out. I suppose it might be shorted out somewhere and it's conceivable that it's it's unplugged at the screen end (you may to take the front off to check).

Presumably you asked the seller for instructions on how to put 'the sender' (?) back into place, has he got back to you on that yet?

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
In my budget case with this feature, it's just a flying lead emerging from behind the front panel with two wires fused together at the end (either a thermocouple or a PTC device inside a bit of heat shrink tubing). In mine I've just tie-wrapped it to the top of the case.

hugmaks

Established Member
has he got back to you on that yet?

yeah he did get back and he said that the only reason he can think of for it not to work is that the sender (parcelexpress) had knocked in the mail. but i will send him an email later today asking him where the sensor is. i will let you know when he gets back and what he said. thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom