New PC Build

How about dropping the sdd and put that towards the card if your thinking of going 1080 in the near future? I'm sure the 560 will do a fine job but it would also be nice to have the extra power in the gpu.

MSI GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £259.99

Asus P8P67 DELUXE Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION **
£199.99

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
£175.99

BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor -
£161.99

Coolermaster CM690-II Lite Dominator Case & GX 750W Power Supply
£117.66

G.Skill RipJawsX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-17000C9 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-17000CL9D-4GBXMD)
£99.98

Microsoft Windows 7 Bundle - Home Premium 64 Bit
£68.40

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM
£32.99

Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BluRay ROM DVDRW DL & RAM Lightscribe SATAII Optical Drive - OEM Black
£51.98

Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3)
£38.99

Total : £1,210.47

That spec is from overclockers and includes Windows 7 and an LED 1920x1080 monitor, also a cpu cooler for overclocking.

Now i dunno what the others think but that would be comfortable all but a few games.

Also you could probably find the same think a couple hundred cheaper if you shopped around.

I don't understand why you can't run games at full graphic res.

I have an Nvidia 8800GT 512,and it play's all the games at full res with no glitches,including
Crysis.

Having said that if you are determined to change the card,stick with Nvidia.

Alan

I don't understand why you can't run games at full graphic res.

I have an Nvidia 8800GT 512,and it play's all the games at full res with no glitches,including
Crysis.

Having said that if you are determined to change the card,stick with Nvidia.

Alan

To be clear, I can run the games at full-res but not with all the eye-candy switched on. The 8800GT is an old card and my pc is 4 years old so it is time to upgrade and I have the money (some anyway).

Not disputing that you want to upgrade,get the best of everything you can,and enjoy.

Alan

Not disputing that you want to upgrade,get the best of everything you can,and enjoy.

Alan

No, I know, thanks!

I keep writing these and thinking "I could have been clearer" :D

So, I have pretty much decided; leaving aside the issue of warranty, and the issue of power supply; if I was to buy some of these components in the US; CPU, Gfx card, Motherboard, would they be okay in the UK?

What about warranty?

Well that is the major consideration of course. The components are a lot cheaper so its whether or not the risk is worth it; assuming the parts would work.

Actually probably only around £100 when I use the "tourist" rate so not worth it!

When you think if you needed to replace a part it would cost more than £100 so not really worth it as you say. Plus the waiting around and customs etc.....

I've just ordered a similar build to yours, this is what I went with below.....went for the MSI mobo as it has a nice simple auto-overclock setup to save me some time until I can make time to do some more radical stuff. Likewise why no after-market cooler, will get that when I plan to spend a few days having fun...lol. I went for the 570 gpu as there is one going fairly cheap, when they are based on reference boards, shouldnt really mean any difference. Might not overclock much, but to be honest, with my mobo that wont matter as I can just slot in another in 6 months time for probably 60% of the cost :)

Qty Price
MSI GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1 £199.99
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail with FREE Shogun 2 Game 1 £139.99
MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 (socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION ** 1 £116.65
XFX 750W Black Edition Modular Power Supply 1 £77.49
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) 1 £74.99
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 7.1 Sound Card (70SB088000000) 1 £69.99
Antec 600 Six Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black 1 £59.57
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD6402AAEX) 1 £41.66
Pioneer 24x Internal S19LBK DVD Rewriter including Labelflash SATA Retail 1 £18.32
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) 1 £5.61
Dust Off Gaming Gear Compressed Air - 109ml 1 £4.16
Sub Total: £808.42
DPD Next Day Parcel Saturday Shipping: £20.50
Total Vat: £165.78
Total inc Vat: £994.7

Grabbing a retail copy of windows at PC World tonight (got a voucher so should work out under a ton extra) bringing the build to around £1,080 (if you ignore the thermal paste for another PC and the dust off...lol).
No need for a monitor as I have a Projector and a 32in Panny telly.

Just keep thinking im forgetting something and I dunno what...lol. Oh, no SSD as I cant quite stretch at the moment. Will probably pick one up in about 6 months time or so.

Last edited:
Well I bit the bullet and ordered mine as below:

Item: Asus P8P67 DELUXE R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
Qty: 1Cost: 149.88

Item: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Qty: 1Cost: 140.35

Item: G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-24) 1.6V
Qty: 1Cost: 39.12

Item: Samsung SH-S223L 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM with LightScribe SATA Optical Drive - Retail Box Black
Qty: 1Cost: 13.32

Item: CM Storm Scout + Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU *Special Offer Bundle*
Qty: 1Cost: 99.99

Item: Inno3D GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
Qty: 1Cost: 233.32

Item: WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 7200RPM 32MB Cache
Qty: 1Cost: 38.02

Item: Crucial 64GB Real SSD C300 2.5" - SATA 6Gb/s Interface - Read 355MB/s Write 75MB/s
Qty: 1Cost: 72.05

-----------------------------------------------------------

Shipping method: FREE Next Working Dayat:£0.00

Subtotal: 786.05
VAT total: 157.24
------------
Total: 943.29
------------
I like Asus boards and they have a good (hopefully simple) oc facility. I will probably buy a better sound card through time and I can add more memory. I have a better cooler on my current PC which I think will also work on this so I will probably swap over at some point. I also need to decide whether to put the 8800GT in as a dedicated Phys-x card.

Now I just need to not screw-up putting it together. :rolleyes:

Excellent, glad to see you went for the 570 as well :)
Putting it together is easy just don't rush. I wouldn't bother with a dedicated Physx card at the moment. Do you want the extra power and heat in your system for no real gains? If your keeping your card then added it if you ever really have the need.

Last edited:
Excellent, glad to see you went for the 570 as well :)
Putting it together is easy just don't rush. I wouldn't bother with a dedicated Physx card at the moment. Do you want the extra power and heat in your system for no real gains? If your keeping your card then added it if you ever really have the need.

Yeah, I figured as I had the money now I would go for the better card. I'll let you know how I get on although the delivery has been delayed by Citylink (again!) :mad:

damn, sorry to hear yours has been delayed :(

I paid extra for a saturday delivery as there was a guarantee of somoene being in to collect it, sadly not me, ended up having to work...lol. On the bright side, it was delivered before I left at around 8.30 :)

Long day at work over....come home eventually and get building......took a little longer than I expected, had a little struggle to get some of the parts to line up in the case, also spent some time tidying stuff up. Love the dual removable side panels on this case, means I can thread most of the cables behind it, then up on the side of the mobo they need to go in....hooorah.

I sit here now, installing windows on it, gonna play some CS:S or Total War while I install windows and everything else I need. I'm keeping the PC purely for gaming, so installations will basically mean drivers for graphics and sound and thats almost it...lol. Oh and Eset AV of course just in case some tricksy gamer tries to do something to my new precious ;)

I'm so hoping this build goes nice and smoothly....looking forward to around 180% increase in gaming ability over my current rig...lol. At least, thats the figure I worked out from various tests on various sites. My equipment doesnt tend to feature too often, so I had to use tests between current and recent, recent and older, older and mine.....took a while :/

Will report back once everythings in and I've got a game loaded and playing :)

Been working in the US for a week so now back home. Built it okay but I am having a problem. When I switch the PC on all the fans come on, I can hear the drives, although they are quiet, the DVD drive drawer opens but there is nothing coming to the monitor and the USB ports do not seem to be working.
I opened it up again and the CPU warning light is constantly on but no other warning lights. I took off the fan and re-set it all but I still have this problem.

Any ideas?

Have you connected the extra 4 pin power adaptor on the motherboard? or is it more pins these days? usually near the cpu anyway

Have you connected the extra 4 pin power adaptor on the motherboard? or is it more pins these days? usually near the cpu anyway

No! LOL - I am a menace with these things. I have now connected both ATX power connectors and all is okay. I have managed to install Windows 7 64 Bit version. I do have one ongoing problem though. I can see all of my drives in Bios but Windows 7 is not recognising the HDD, just the SSD. Any ideas (again!)?

Thanks.

Have you installed all the motherboard drivers?

Also, type diskmgmt.msc in the start search. Can you see it in there? Maybe format it on there and ensure it has a drive letter (right click on the drive and it's in there)

Have you installed all the motherboard drivers?

Also, type diskmgmt.msc in the start search. Can you see it in there? Maybe format it on there and ensure it has a drive letter (right click on the drive and it's in there)

I have installed all the drivers. I'll have a look at that other thing when I get a chance. Cheers.

In Disk Management I can see it as Disk 1 but I can't do anything with it other than "convert to Dynamic Disk" of "convert to MBR Disk". It is currently there as a Simple Disk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom