• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

New PC build

panjabi_j4tt

Hi All,

Not having much luck trying to buy a pre built machine so I've decided to try and have a go at building one.

Requirements are as follows:
Web browsing
Some gaming (nothing crazy)
Playing blu ray rips
Gerneral office package use
Ability to connect to a 40inch LCD via HDMI

Some guys at work have suggested an i5 processor and minimum 1GB graphics card, 4GB RAM & 1TB HD

My main question is, is it possible to build such a machine with around £500 (movement for maybe 10%)

I've tried looking at components already but how can I ensure compatability of all the hardware? Below is my fist attempt as you can see I've not added a graphics card yet. Any suggestions? Also I'm not sure about the case or psu. The case is picked from another suggestion in someones else's post just to give me a rough idea of cost.

Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail £144.98
Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 Intel H55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard £89.99
OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low-Voltage Dual Channel £59.98
Coolermaster RC-600 Gladiator Case - Black £50.98
OcUK Battle 650W Dual Rail High Efficiency Modular Power Supply £47.99
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) £40.98
LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM £15.99

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

Ryles

Standard Member
looks good to me, can't see a graphics card in there, i'd add something like a Radeon 6850 (about £120) for higher end 3D graphics (First Person Shooters etc) or a 5750 for less intensive games (Sims etc) for around £80. If all your playing is battle chess and 2D puzzle games then your on-board should do the trick!

panjabi_j4tt

The ATI 5850 looks ok. Anyone recommend on how I can reduce some costs? Any recommends on a smaller case & suitable psu?

Last edited:

PocketBunny

Just so you are aware, the 5850 is quite a large card as is the 6870. I have a friend who recently built a new gaming rig and put it into a smaller case, and it was a really tight fit! He was putting it in an Antec P180 mini (which is a very good smaller case). He was experiencing the gfx card covering SATA ports on the mobo etc but this is mobo dependant. Just something you should look out for if going for a smaller build.

I am using a Coolermaster Silent Pro-M 600w, for what is the AMD equivalent of your build, should you go for the 5850. I would recommend you go for a 6870 though. Its power draw is a little less and the performance is slightly superior. I beleive its the same price if not a bit cheaper than the 5850 also.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/600w-coolermaster-silent-pro-m-modular-80-plus-83-eff-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-135mm-fan

Last edited:

panjabi_j4tt

Anyone suggest what make graphics card? I'm overwhelmed by the different makes. I'm only thinking of a smaller case as I imagine the coolmaster to be quite large however in honesty I don't actually know the dimensions. Any links to the 6870 card please smoochiez? Also what minimum psu should I be looking for as I'm trying to save money I hope a case with a psu may save some £££. I've seen this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/247305 any thoughts?

Last edited:

PocketBunny

That case PSU bundle has been recommended by numerous people including myself. The PSU supplied with it will not be modular though, and i personally have to buy modular cos it makes life a lot easier.

If you were to give us a budget for your build it would make life easier for us as we could take what you have said so far and sculpt the PC to your budget and needs.

Scan.co.uk: XFX HD 6870 ATI - AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 1GB - HD-687A-ZNFC

Ryles

Standard Member
ideally could do with knowing what sort of games you want to play, i'm using a 5750 and it plays everything i throw at it but it's hardly future proof,

panjabi_j4tt

Budget is £500 but will allow about 10% movement so say £550 but thats really pushing it. I'm building this as a Christmas gift for my nephews and I thought their dad would use it for some games like Black ops or Fifa. He has confirmed that hes not bothered so I think anything above what Ryles has suggested maybe overkill. No doubt the demands kids make I would need to update the card at some point. Is this what you were referring to mate:

HIS ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [H577FK1GD]

What are the benefits of a modular psu? Just neatness? Again I need to be aware of cost, as I'm paying for the total build (greatest uncle ever, well atleast for 1 day). Anyone used the insurance service at Scan? Thinking the extra premium will come in handy as this is my first build (hopefully not my last)

PocketBunny

You havent mentioned whether you need an OS or not so here are two potentials, one with windows 7 and one without. Both fall in the budget and will be able to run the games named at high settings, possibly maxed out.

Case + PSU £45.99 Coolermaster Elite 310 Case with Side Window and.. | Ebuyer.com
Total = £526.79

Case + PSU £45.99 Coolermaster Elite 310 Case with Side Window and.. | Ebuyer.com
Total = £551.57

You can take the Carriage charge off both as you have enough posts on the forum for free delivery. So if you set that up both will fall under the £550 budget. The AMD build is a bit slower than the Intel build CPU wise, but you get roughly the same performance and Windows 7 with it, if you need it.

I select scansure when i build purely because things can happen. Bend the pins on the CPU when putting it into the motherboard etc etc. Its worth the twenty odd pound just to make sure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

panjabi_j4tt

Thank you so much smoochiez I really appreciate all your help. I totally agree with the scan insurance given that I am a total novice this should save a lot of heartache. Is the reason for choosing the Asus motherboard over the Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 Intel H55 based on cost or performance? I only ask as I am a novice so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. The motherboard in my original spec is £80 at scan rather then the £90 I first mentioned which was from overclockers. In terms of the graphics card the spec states 1.4a HDMI & 3D support, is it just me or does £140 seem to cheap. Feels like I'm missing something. Also I don't require Windows 7 as I have a copy. Going to go with the Intel build as I've never had AMD and I tend to stick to what I know unless its totally mind blowing difference

Last edited:

PocketBunny

Its a decent enough graphics card, it may just be a bit noisier than others. If you are going with the Intel build and want to splash that extra cash, then by all means go for a better version like this:

Scan.co.uk: 1GB MSI GTX460 HAWK Talon Attack NVIDIA Graphics Card - N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack

I chose ASUS purely because im a bit of a fanboy of their products. The Gigabyte board you chose will also do the job equally well. As you are making this build for someone else i doubt there will be any overclocking taking place on it, and both boards do the basics very well.

panjabi_j4tt

There won't be any overclocking. Going to stick with the orignal graphics card you recommended largely due to cost. Is there anything else I need as I will probably order everything tonight in order to build this weekend. Thanks again

PocketBunny

you will need an extra SATA cable to connect your optical drive to the motherboard and a number 2 philips screw driver.

Main thing to remember is touch the side of your case each time before touching anything inside it, to get rid of the static charge you will carrying.

Last edited:

panjabi_j4tt

Ordered everything including thermal grease & 2 SATA cables just in case the hard drive doesn't have one & a static wrist strap as I will forget to touch the case while working. Just need your address now smoochiez so I know where to find you when it goes t!ts up lol

PocketBunny

Good stuff! Post pic of the machine when it's up and running:)

panjabi_j4tt

I'm such an idiot not even got all the parts and I've messed up. Ordered the case + 2 sata cables & thermal grease from ebuyer with free shipping Tuesday morning for £52. Decided today I only had this weekend free to build so rang ebuyer to say can I just pay £10 now for next day, they said no cancel and reorder. So I did only to find the same basket was now £65! Rang back to ask to reinstate the oringal order only to be told they can't. On top of that still had to pay £11 for next day delivery. Bloody gutted! Rant Over :-(

PocketBunny

Hi, yeh its no problem. The thing with graphics card scores is they vary a in comparison's and then you individual bias and recent support and driver releases to consider.

For example in that list the card the card i suggested is a lot further down the list than the HD6850. It also shows that the 6850 is a superior card to the 5870 and 5970, which is anything but true.

This image shows some results from F1 2010, a reasonably new DX11 game, and shows that the results between the cards, at a very high resolution are negligible.

The Tom's Hardware comparisons for the cards are here:

There is also a general thought that the latest driver releases for ATI/AMD cards have been rather substandard.

I hope this puts your mind at ease that you have the right graphics card for your money. :)

panjabi_j4tt

Hey smoochiez it's not going well mate. Put everything together and can't get it to work. Followed all the manuals to the letter. Can't even get to the BIOS menu. Tried troubleshooting but regardless of what i do i only ever get one 2-3 second bleep. Could the mother board be faulty? I did everything correct been a right ball ache worst thing is I took it all a part twice and put it back together and on the second time I damaged the cpu fan, hopefully scan doesn't take too long to replace this

Last edited:

PocketBunny

OK, just to rule a couple of things out. Hook your monitor up to the motherboards video out, and take the graphics card out the system, and see if you get the same Beep tone. If you do the graphics card isnt the problem. if you dont get the tone, place the graphic card back in and make sure it is seated properly into the PCI-E slot. Do you also have 2 PCI-E power cables going into the GTX460?

Do you have your 2 sticks of RAM in DIMM slots 1 and 3? Then try one stick of RAM in slot 1 then boot, then the other stick and boot.

Obviously only do one of these suggestions at a time, in order to eliminate them as the problem.

When you took the CPU out, and put it back in, did you reapply thermal compound onto it before you put the heatsink and fan back on?

panjabi_j4tt

Tried it without the extra power cable to the gx460 then with one then with two. Get the same beep whatever I do. The only time there is no beep is when there is no ram or graphics cards. I only have 1 x 4gb RAM and I've tried it in slot 1 & 3 and no joy. Just to confirm I did apply thermal grease when I removed the CPU fan. Even checked out a few videos to make sure I did it right

PocketBunny

You could try using the PSU from your PC, and see if it all boots correctly using that. Obviously if the PSU for your PC is only 300w-400w dont bother.

Another possible solution, and this is a real long shot, is to restore CMOS to its default settings. I know you wont have changed anything in CMOS as you havent been able to get that far, but its worth a try. Find the J-BAT jumper on you motherboard and move the jumper from pins 1 + 2 to pins 2 + 3 for 8-10 secs then move it back to pins 1+2.

I must admit im beginning to run out of ideas, unless the motherboard is indeed dead.

panjabi_j4tt

Raised an RMA with scan, they said they would take back ram, mobo, graphics card and CPU to see if they can get the parts working together. Lets hope they test them all together and not individually with other parts.

mankam

have you got it working finally,
iam also stuck at same place , bought stuff fr pixmania cant return?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research launches Reference 80S power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett