New PC Build - Any advice on choices?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my PSU blew up, the water-cooling loop had corroded so much that the tubes popped off the radiator and water fell into the PSU.

I've decided to build a whole new system, and I'll sell my 6700k, itx, 32gb and Titan X Pascal separately :)

So here's the build, and if anyone has any expertise that can offer advice on my selection before I go ahead..

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,991.81 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

I had 2 Aorus Pro Motherboard die on me in 2 weeks due to what I believe was xmp issues resulting in the pc failing to POST, so I would warn people off that Motherboard (although of course many other people have had no issues).

Currently running with a Rog Strix-E board, and fingers crossed no issues so far.

I had 2 Aorus Pro Motherboard die on me in 2 weeks due to what I believe was xmp issues resulting in the pc failing to POST, so I would warn people off that Motherboard (although of course many other people have had no issues).

Currently running with a Rog Strix-E board, and fingers crossed no issues so far.

Thanks I'll look at the other board

just built a rig with the auro pro last week, and a 3700x, no issues here. my third gigabyte board in a row and never had an issue. although it's only been a week so will keep my fingers crossed after reading that thread

It depends what you want your system for. It looks decent enough for most tasks. My advice is hold your fire for a bit. Overclockers are having the CPU by the 28th according to their website but the availability is meant to be some time next month when AMD plans to release the 3950X and the new series of threadrippers. In addition I would recommend to consider your memory options.

The motherboard has only 4 slots with 32GB each slot max. If you want to increase memory later on then most likely you will need to discard your current modules. Mind you, you could still add a good 64 GB with your current configuration. 16GB is a decent amount of memory but if your are planning to edit pictures or videos in that system then I rather go for 32GB single module if you do not care too much about dual channel mode or 2 X 16GB if want the dual channel mode.

Hi Dan,

The build looks good imo; however i do agree about the memory. modules.

I have the same GPU and for me was pretty loud under load but again, this is a personal thing. I ended up sending it back and getting a cheaper msi card and putting a water block on it..

I bought from NovaTech in the end which gets the 3900X in stock tomorrow and is £50 less!

Got a 2TB m.2 drive instead, changed my memory for 2x16 of corsair vengeance LPX and the rog strix gaming motherboard.

They only had grey and not black p600s case, but I couldn't be bothered to make separate orders to get the black - grey will be fine! :)

Order Summary:

1 x AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Twelve-Core Processor/CPU with Wraith Prism RGB LED Cooler
[AMD-93900X] - Out of stock

1 x Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming AMD AM4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard
[ASU-X57SFG] - In stock

1 x Get Free ROG Delta Core Gaming Headset
[MKT-DELCOR] - In stock

1 x Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 2TB Solid State Drive/SSD
[GIG-AOG42T] - In stock

1 x Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Dual Channel Memory (RAM) Kit
[CSR-L3232K] - In stock

1 x MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
[MSI-208TXT] - In stock

1 x Call of Duty Modern Warfare Digital Game Code Included
[MKT-NVCODM] - In stock

1 x Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
[NOC-D15SE4] - In stock

1 x Phanteks Eclipse P600S Grey Mid Tower Tempered Class Case
[PTK-P600SG] - In stock

1 x Corsair AX1000 80 Plus Titanium Fully Modular Power Supply
[CSR-AX1000] - In stock

Hi Dan,

The build looks good imo; however i do agree about the memory. modules.

I have the same GPU and for me was pretty loud under load but again, this is a personal thing. I ended up sending it back and getting a cheaper msi card and putting a water block on it..

Maybe i'll get the asus strix.. i'll check it out

I mean did you have the trio fan one? it's suppose to be quiet.. I think i'll look at fan profiles on the msi - I've seen a lot of reviews and sources say it's a quiet option.

Maybe i'll get the asus strix.. i'll check it out

I mean did you have the trio fan one? it's suppose to be quiet.. I think i'll look at fan profiles on the msi - I've seen a lot of reviews and sources say it's a quiet option.

Maybe i had a faulty unit. It was defo the triple fan model; I ended up getting the ventus in the end as was the cheapest.

I mean if the reviews say it's quiet, im sure it's fine. mine was stupid loud so the more i think about it, it may of been faulty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom