New PC £1000-£1200

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by 1st timer, Sep 18, 2007.

1. 1st timer

1st timer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a new PC that will be the main storage for all music and videos. Also looking to do video editing on it as well as aiming to stream music (initially and I guess video at some stage) to my amp (Denon AVR 3806). I don 't do gaming.

I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron 530 and up speccing it as much as possible as the base PC.
    - Core 2 Duo E6750 processor
    - 4MB RAM
    - 500GB
    As for media streaming I'm thinking of having multi room and therefore possibly going for the Sonos system (I assume I can link this to the Denon and play through the current speakers)

I think this sounds sensible but if anyone has any views (positive or negative) about the Dell computers and the streaming plans I have I'd love to hear them before I commit!

The budget £1000-1200 is for the PC only

cheers in advance!

2. sammy4499771

sammy4499771

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Why not try an imac?

3. fxytimi

fxytimi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    imacs are rubbish, and you could build your own PC, with a core 2 quad q6600, 8800 gtx, 4gb of ram, p35 Ds3r. a 620 watt power supply, and what ever hdd you want, under 1200 pouns.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    I assume you mean 4GB of RAM! ;)

Afaik Dell do not ship 64-bit versions of XP or Vista. Therefore, the most RAM that your system will see a tad over 3GB (depending what graphics card you pair it with). I'd leave the 4GB out for now, 2Gb should be plenty for what you need right now.

If you want to wait, Intel are launching their new 45nm Penryn processors in November along with higher cache which should benefit you considering you want it for video editing.

5. 1st timer

1st timer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the advice, plumped for the Dell in the end as I prefer the safety net rather than building myself (although that spec looked great!)

It arrived tonight so will load it all up this week - I'll post back what I think when it's up and running

cheers:thumbsup: