1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PB10-ISD

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by geeman, Dec 17, 2004.

1. geeman

geeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just joined the SVS club as I recieved my PB10 today.
    Just need a bit of advice on how long it takes to run the sub in. Initial comparisons against my PDR10 are in favour of the PDR10 :(

So does anybody think it will get better with time based on their experiences ?

The performance with music is very good however their doesnt seem to be much punch when it comes to watching DVD's and the fact this is 300Watts as opposed to the 150Watts with the PDR 10 isnt that evident.

Tested the "ring drop" Fellowship Lord of Rings. THX intro to Star Wars. Set it up using AVIA DVD and Sound Meter and still prefer my PDR10 at the moment.

Any suggestions comments appreciated

Also does anybody know how to make it look smaller when the significant other half sees it :laugh:

Geeman

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It takes a while to bed down and loosen up but I would have thought a SVS PB-10 straight out of the box would be leagues ahead of the Paradigm in every way. The sound that it produces will be very different to that of the PDR 10 as you will be listening to more bass and less distortion and it does sometimes take a while to get used to the lack of distortion.

I can give you a much more accurate assessment of how much punch the SVS should have on Monday, as that's when mine is being delivered.

3. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got mine since monday, and the first impression was "Hmm, my lil´speakers put out more bass.." Nothing to be worried about, 'cause the bass is deeper, and more accurate than some of us are used to. Some say the bass is "dry", it's not boomy in any way when set up correctly. Or it may be, but it is usually the room's fault. Or at least in my case. BFD is a must also!

P.S. Listened "the Ring drop" today, too. It wasn't as strong as I believed, but I hear the R1 version of the LOTR: FOTR is much more dynamic (and bassier). You should try also with Toy Story 1&2 , Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo.

4. geeman

geeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I agree the bass is different and takes some getting used to as it is cleaner thats why i thought the music sounded much better than with the PDR.

I have had the PDR10 for three years now so it has had plenty of time to loosen up.

Have noticed there are some peaks in the frequency response which may need a bfd to correct. I will do some basic frequency tests when i get a chance to compare the two and post it on this thread

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    When i went from a velodyne deco to the PB10 there didn't seem that much difference until it came to the sub 30hz stuff, to be honest it was more boomy than the deco thanks to peaks at 40hz and 80hz.I got a bfd to get rid of the peaks and it now sounds fantastic , a scene that i thought was far better than with the deco was finding nemo when the sub starts to fall down the ledge, i could feel the sofa vibrating as the steel ground against the rock :cool: .I watched u571 a film i hadn't watched for ages and it sounded far better than i ever remembered , i certenly can't rember feeling the waves hiting the sofa.
    The bfd made a vast difference to how the sub performed ,i would do a fr graph to see if you have any dips or peaks ,room responce can make or brake a sub.

6. geeman

geeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did some tests to compare the sub frequency responses for the PB10 and PDR10. Hope you can get the attachment.
    It shows that they have similiar responses and crossover at about 37Hz point where the PB10 then shows what it is made of :thumbsup:

I have tested the PB10 with all my favourite scenes and it has opened up a whole new soundstage as you get to hear loads more sounds and the separation is excellent it sounds like a cinema now :) .

I think this goes back to Ian J point about distortion although the values for the subs are pretty equal up to 30Hz the quality of the bass the PB10 delivers is far better than the PDR10 and reproduces every detail i.e when they legolas fires his bow in LOTR you can hear the bow string now and before that was lost in distortion with the PDR10. Also the low frequency extension is evident in all my movies.

However, I do think the sub does need to be run like all speakers and will get better with time.

Attached Files:

7. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Distortion tends to add warmth to the sound, which often means that people are disappointed with clean, tight and distortionless bass.

When you go to a well set up cinema, bass distortion is kept to an absolute minimum. This can be a bit of a shock when transferred to the home but it is the way things were meant to be heard and once you get used to it, the benefits are fantastic.

Some ofcourse like boom and distortion and if they are happy who am I to argue.

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Agreed. The soundstage is so much clearer with a decent subwoofer.

The PC Ultra has transformed my movie experience at home, the amount of sound a boomy subwoofer masks from the the other speakers is massive.

Had some friends over yesterday, and was playing some demo scenes, the sofa was shaking with both of them on it (had the volume at about -8db :devil: ), but at no point did the PCU boom, you could hear + feel tight clean bass, and you could also hear everything else going on too.

A good subwoofer can transform any system, and SVS are among the best out there.

9. askegg

askegg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is good news.

I traded my Paradigm PDR10 for a SVS PB10-ISD with the hope that it would extend deeper and louder. Like many people, I have not experienced SVS before and took a the leap of faith baed on the many positive reviews from owners around the world (including the people on this forum).

I always felt the PDR10 rolled off at around 30-40 Hz in my room and sounded boomy. Since I sold it I have used test tones and an SPL meter to check the response of my main speakers - there is a large peak at 60Hz. Damn room.

While waiting for my PB10-ISD to arrive from America (it's been two weeks in transit) I have purchased a BFD to tame the bass frequencies. The surround will cross over at 80Hz (fixed on the Yamaha 1300) so I should be able to control the room well.

The sub should be delivered today or tommorrow and I will post some response curves after I have had a chance to test everything out. Unfortunately, Christmas, family and friends will all get in the way of my home theater tinkering in the coming week :)

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If I were to order a PB10-ISD today, what would I expect to pay after paying vat and import duty.

Whats a BFD? can someone point me to a link explaining it please.

Thanks

11. askegg

askegg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot help you with the import duties, taxes, vat, etc - but I can help with the BFD.

This post explains what the BFD is and why you may want one.

There was a very detailed guide on how to set one up at http://www.snapbug.ws/, but this appears to be down at the moment. I had planned to post my experiences with the PB10-ISD and the BFD.....

12. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It will cost something over £300, resident currency expert Ian J will be more accurate, beats anything this side of the pond for the money, no doubt about that. If you want to import an svs there has never been a better time for us Brits.

13. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    It will cost around £360ish all in .
    £287 for sub and postage.
    £353 inc taxes,4.5% duty +17.5% VAT.
    £? for bax airport fee.(less than£10)
    Hope that helps.

14. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Click me ,this it what a BFD can do, this is the fr of the bp10 before and after plus a graph of my old sub.

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks for the links :smashin:

I was looking at the XLS200 or maybe the B&W ASW675, but the PB10 looks like the one I've been looking for :)

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    bob1 is right with the costs as it will be about £350 to £360 to your doorstep and Pollywoggle is right that there is nothing on the market that will beat the performance at that price.

There is a trade off and that is size as the PB-10 isn't small. Inconspicuous it isn't. Mine arrived yesterday and if you haven't seen the thread that I started have a look in this forum as there is a photo of it sitting next to my 20-39 PC Plus and standmout speakers for comparision.

17. geeman

geeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uploaded a better spreadsheet/graph as realised the first one wasnt correct
    Shows the difference between the two subs more clearly. Have edited the previous post with new data

18. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hello geeman i have looked at your graph ,does it inc correction values as it will make a big difference.You can download the excel graph most people use HERE(use save target as) , just fill in the raw values and it will do the corrections for you.

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks for the figures :)
    I am getting pretty close to ordering a PB10-ISD, I would be silly not to.

At what stage would I pay taxes and Airport fee's? Would a get a phone call asking for payment or would I have to pay the Delivery person.

Nice graph Geeman, looks like the BFD might be worth looking at, I just need to read up on them now to understand what they fully do.

Thanks again all for the links :smashin:

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Payment for the sub plus the shipping is made by credit card when you place the order although the card isn't debited until the goods are ready for despatch.

You will receive a telephone call from your local Bax office when the goods are in UK telling you how much duty and Vat is payable and to discuss a suitable time for delivery. I don't know what other payment options are available but I always give the delivery driver a cheque.

21. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks Ian :)
    I guess a cheque would be the safest way to pay a delivery driver.

22. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I paid the driver cash,the people at bax are the nicest couriers i have come across.

23. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Would I have to use Bax or is UPS an option?

24. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Just bax i think as it svs that sorts it out for you.

25. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Cheers

26. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    So simple to buy from svs ,just click and buy no harder than any other internet buying.You can also track your parcel with online tracking.

27. geeman

geeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the spreadsheet bob1. The spreadsheet is based on a 1/6 octave will that make a difference if I do the same measurements with a 1 octave frequency and fill them in ? Also I notice that there is a large corrections for 25Hz and below so if I got a BFD i would have to suppress these frequencies to get a flat response as well as the peaks in my room ?

Also the BFD you use does it have phono connectors on the back and can those rack mounts be removed as I am trying to work out where I can hide it as it doesnt look that nice.

Also these are the charges i paid for a PB10 and AVIA/SPL Bundle for everybody

SVS PB10 Avia/SPL Bundle $509 = £273.5
    Shipping $130 = £69.85
    BAX UK
    Customs Duties = £9.66
    VAT = £59.97
    Fees = £20.00

28. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The correction values are for the radioshack spl meter ,so using the speedsheet it will work out the correct readings for you.Fill it in and see what it looks like ,you will have to make new readings at the correct frequencies for the graph.

29. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Forgot to say ,the bfd as 1/4" socckets so you will need 1/4 to phono adaptors ,the rack mounts can be removed but it does leave holes in the side.

I don't think it looks too bad, but saying that i can't really see it.

[​IMG]

30. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    guys, what is a bfd?