1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Panny - will be worked overtime.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mark silvester, Jun 16, 2002.

1. mark silvester

mark silvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Guys,

just to let you know that my new Panny (that arrived Thursday last batch mark May 02).

Will be worked OVERTIME...to see if any fault appears.

This, I think is the best way to soak test this machine - which I must say shows a very nice picture.

Already - yesterday.....I ran it continually for 15 hours. No problem
    I cannot hardly hear the fan at all!

I want to get it up to 200 hrs within a month....I will run it for another 10 - 12 hours today.

This way if it handles 200 hrs plus within a month - 6 weeks...then it must be O.K.

A friend of mine who is an engineer for Panasonic TV/VCRS said that this is the way - to push the machine initially, rather than be frightened to use it! And then facing problems later on!

After all, as he says....Panasonic along with Sony are generally recognised as being the best general electrical (brown goods)
    suppliers in the world.

I will keep you guys informed of my "home bench testing"

Best:

Mark

Screenshot from Panny (Sleepy Hollow)

Attached Files:

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark

Please continue to update us.
    Mine has been on order for three weeks so who knows when it will arrive but your experiences will be a great help

3. bluesman

bluesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont want to alarm you but my AE100 failed last weekend. This is only the second weekends use (dont get to use it during the week). Manufacture date was May 2002.

18 hours is all it managed. First one went after 28 hours use (manufacture date March 2002).

If the third one fails its either a refund or a Sony 11HT.

4. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ehh ! can you say that again please :p

Seriously though, I find this quite hard to believe. I don't own a panny but I had one demo'd and although it wasn't particularly intrusive it was definitely audible.

Allan

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    My repaired AE-100 is distinctly quieter now than it was before it blew up. Could it be that the newer PSUs have quieter fans?

Mark, several people suggested that it was switching the unit on and off with its mains switch which contributed to its failure. I have no idea if this is true, but if so, a continuous soak test might not be the best way to determine reliability.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

6. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

why would this be the case i am now up to about 45 hours on my loan panny, i use it for 5 hrs a day and switch off at the back off the unit and the mains every day i use a surge protector and the unit is a feb model.

This worries me a bit as when i get my new unit back i intend to do the same

so am i better leaving the unit in stand by

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Chic, sorry I'm no expert in these things. But that's certainly what I was told - that powering down to standby was somehow safer for the machine than switching it completely off and on again.

For all I know it might be a complete load of old nonsense. Whichever is true, the result of Mark's soak test will be very interesting.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

8. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    FYI

Feb 2002 model

190 hours

stand by only not switched off

still going. :D

9. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it okay to leave this projector on standby? Could doing so cause any long term problems?

10. md2

md2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After using the AE100 you have to switch to standby first rather than switching the unit off at the rear or at the mains. This is because the unit needs to put the fan on high for a minute or two after turning the lamp off, so that it can cool down.

I'm beginning to wonder whether a lot of these failures have been caused by people not allowing the machine to cool down on standby.

11. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Virtually all home electronic devices amps/dvd players/video's etc are designed to be left on standby.

I had a power supply go on my Hitachi sat receiver because of turning it on at the plug!
    The power supply dosn't like the sudden surge of electricity from the mains. It will withstand it for so long then one day it will fail.

I spoke to Hitachi who said all newer products are designed to be left permanently on standby.

12. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Found out a little info on failure of the AE100.

It's down to a fault in the bulbs power drive circuit.

According to Panasonic, if the unit passes about 70 hours there is a good chance it will then be fine. They are fully aware of the cause of the fault, and that it doesn't effect all AE100's. All future (ie July models) should be free from this paticular fault.

It is not down to missuse by users, or by not using a filtered/surge power supply. So anybody who has had this fault can feel confident that it wasn't their fault.

All bulb projectors need the cooling down time after use. Failure to allow it do do this may cause the bulb to rupture and not the fault that the AE100 is suffering.

Please don't ask me to reveal who told me this info, as i'm not sure that they were supposed to tell me!.

If this is old news, them please ignore the entire post above!!! (i'm always the last to know about things :D )

13. md2

md2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a VERY interesting development, fulabeer.

I hope you're source of information is accurate. It must be a problem which Panasonic have only very recently become aware of, if the fault is only going to be fixed from the July models onwards.

If it doesn't affect ALL units, any idea which units it does affect? Is it related to the manufacture date, the place of manufacture, or the source of one of the components? I wonder if there is any way of knowing in advance, whether a given unit has the fault or not.

14. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Stop becoming paranoid about any faults and enjoy the bloody thing :)

How you ever gonna enjoy a movie if all your doing is looking for bloody faults.

Enjoy and if it does go bang then send it back.

15. mark silvester

mark silvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have noted with interest all the above comments....especially JSW.

I have got it up to about 40 hrs now.

I cany run it much this week due to work...but I will catch up at the week-end.

On average I have been running it between 10 - 15 hrs at a time.

I have always switched it off at machine after lamp cool-down (via stepladders as is ceiling mounted).

I must re-state....the fan IS exceptionally quiet (this is not my first video p/j) it is barely above a whisper....even on start-up.

Tell, you what I noticed when I switched it off at the machine after first use (the room was dark)...a slight spark of light when I switched the machine off - this could just be the switch contact showing up in almost pitch black room.

Otherwise everything is fine.

By the way...I am enjoying watching the movies on it....thing is if it goes...it goes...just have to get my 3M back out!

You would think though that if Panasonic were aware of a fault...they would have attended to it by now! It just would not make viable comercial sense!

Best....."Keep watching the Screen"