1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW panny PE30 is out

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by markbigears, Apr 26, 2004.

1. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just been down to selfridges oxford st. 42inch on a stand 37 inch ... well they were trying to wall mount it on an old PA20 mount, left them, all 5 of em, scratching their collective heads!
    prices for the 42 incher are £3500, stand £480. looking good!

2. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had one on order, but the problems I thought I'd encounter wall mounting it put me off...

I wonder how good the picture is...

3. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Deron

It is correct that the design of the Panasonic 30 series does mean that the slimline wall mounts currently on the market will not fit the units. This is mainly due to the fact that the sub woofer at the bottom of the screen extends back beyond the rear casing. Panasonic can provide wall mounts that take this into account but (IMO) these will not be acceptable with most purchasers as the resulting distance between the wall and the back of the plasma is significantly more than the range of slimline mounts currently available on the market.

We are awaiting our demonstration models for this series of units which should be arriving today. Once we have them a unit will be going to the company that manufactures wall mounts so they can hopefully design a plate which will reduce this wall to plasma distance.

Regards

Alastair

4. kace

kace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the picture on the PA units are tremendous, my unit blows me away every time.....

I'd like to see how things look on the new sets

5. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    as far as im aware its the same internals and screen, just a digi tuner and a few other inputs.

6. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    An update on the wall mounts for the Panasonic Vieras

The manufacturers of the wall mounts have now been in to measure our demo screens in order to manufacture a tilting wall mount for them at a reasonable price. As far as I'm aware the only other alternative at the moment is supplied by Panasonic.

They have estimated that the minimum distance from wall to the rear of the plasma will be 60mm to allow for cables etc. I rather feel that this does takes them out of the 'slimline' category as these are normally between 18mmm and 20mm.

We will be testing the first production model early next week and hopefully the manufacturers will have stocks out very shortly after that.

Regards

Alastair

7. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I saw the 37" today and I was immediately struck by the sharpness of the display, so I checked the settings for an over enthusiastic shop setting,

Less than half way..nice indeed.

The feed was noisy and the screen a touch greeny but it looked good for the most.

8. maphi3

maphi3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the 42" in JL in Southampton. Looked pretty good to me (much better than a neighbouring Hitachi 5300).

9. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    the resolution on these screens is 1024*1024 as apposed to pannys earlier plasmas, but is it worth the extra THousand pounds?

Azz

10. nick901

nick901
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the PE30 come with any stand, dont want to wall mount it at this time. Anyone recommend a stand if it dosnt come with one.
    cheers
    nick

11. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Nick

The PE30 plasmas can be wall, floor or desk mounted. Panasonic supply desk mounts and a very attractive (although expensive) floor mount which you order separately. I am not sure at this stage whether any of the 'Universal' desk stands can be used with this model. You may find another forum member has already looked into this and can comment.

Regards

Alastair

12. nick901

nick901
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alistair,
    Thanks for the reply, sorry to sound stupid but, as standard, does the screen come with a stand or is it an optional extra?.
    Any idea of the cost of the deskstand/floor mount
    cheers

nick

13. TH42PE30

TH42PE30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Got 42PE30 cople of days ago.

Lovely & thin cabinet stand (ST42PX20W) is optional for around £499 or £100 for small Pedestal (ST42PX20).

14. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Nick

Your question has been answered. Amazingly by the plasma itself :rotfl:

15. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So what do you think of your new plasma? Is it the same as the PA20 technically, just with the digital tuner?

Does it offer the same amount of image adjustment as the PW6 or the reduced amount like the PA20?

16. TH42PE30

TH42PE30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think it's excellent and better than PA20. Speakers are ultra slim which makes it perfect for those who do not wish to turn on the Amp for a quick 5 min news check.

Most of the picture adjustments are identical to PW6, although I cannot confirm this 100% as I am only using RGB SCART at the mo. I think only PC mode will give all the other advanced picture mode settings.

17. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I see Richer Sounds are selling for £2749.95 at the moment, pretty good deal considering how much the PA20's are still going for.

18. nick901

nick901
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody know if the PA20 pedestal stand will fit the pe30, if not why not, can it be modified to fit (i can get one quite cheap)

cheers
    nick

19. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just bought one of these from John Lewis on a price match against richer sounds. I opted for it instead of the other Panny that richer sounds are also doing at stupid price which is the 42" black square with no input boards for £2k . I got it from John Lewis to get the 5yr warranty. cracking deal, they've got it up for nearly 4grand in the shop!.

Ive read elsewhere that the pre-existing other Panasonic mounts dont fit it because the bottom of this model is curved - havent tested.

But the alternative to the 400£ panasonic wall mounts is the wall mount from VOGEL model number FW2001 or sometimes EFW2001 , Ive found this for £130 delivered inc vat , in UK. John lewis have it for £179. In fact this is what JL are using to display the model in the shop!

I opted for this one over the other Panny from RS at 2k£ because the wife & kids need to be able to use it and its more user friendly not requiring a separate AMP/remote/etc unless I want to use that so the kids can get up and switch on the cartoons channel without waking me up !. Plus for the 5yr warranty its a good deal - and no more scartboards/etc to buy, just otu of the box it works .. but you do need to fork out for a stand/mount as above.

20. redface

redface
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ianc - what was the final price ? which branch ? do you have the names of the people you spoke to ? Ive just pricematched at JL at £3019 but obviously want to go lower. Is Richer £2700 ?

21. grumps

grumps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi Ianc I am also very interested as this is just the model I am thinking of - Did JL really price match Richers sounds and throw in the 5 year warranty - it almost sounds too good to be true!!:clap:

22. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they did.

I'm loathe to tell you the store cos I pick mine up on monday having paid for it today... dont want to get lynched!!

Richer Sounds are doing it for 2749.00 , +50£ delivery.

John Lewis price matched £2749 + 50£ delivery, since I picked it up then i paid £2749 and Ive got receipt sat next to me together with the 5yr warranty for the £3695 price with the £946 price match reduction..ouch..

all I did was phone my local John Lewis Store (they all stock them from Milton Keynes warehouse anyway so 'stock' istn an issue). Isaid to them that Richer Sounds local store had the Panasonic 42" with model nbr 30b instock at £2749 woudl they price match richer sounds.

They went away, had their 'price match' team /dept do the background work and phoned me 3-4 hrs later and said yes they would. SO I guess they phoned Richer Sounds to check they had it in stock at my local shop. The shops are circa 3miles apart.

The criteria are (i think) that Richer Sounds has to have it in stock, although they screwed up there because I know the 37" wasnt instock at RS but JL would have honored the price;-) ..
    I was half expecting some push back when I bought it about the 5yr warranty but they didnt say anything, printed out eh warranty sheet for me, I signed it , (its like a receipt) and hey presto. The signs on the wall In john lewis say "All our TV's come with 5yr warranty".

If you want to private mesage me I'll disclose which store but i might wait until mondaY!! ;-) , good luck !.

I should say Ive bought a stak of TV for family etc, from John Lewis because I know they really take care of that 'never knowingly undersold' thing, I even know of a friend who bought a TV from them and a month later got a cheque in the post because they'd found they'd been overpriced on that model..

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panasonic are now doing a wall mount for PE30 models 42" defo (circa £200) so all is not lost, not seen one yet but have ordered one...

24. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    *****STOP PRESS******

Last night Panasonic announced a price reduction in the Viera series 37", 42", 50".

Suggest members check with their retailers prior to puchasing any of these models.

25. nick901

nick901
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know what the reduction is, some dealers 'say they havnt heard anything'.:confused:
    cheers
    nick

26. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    To see one example, click on the poster's web site:
    POA!
    Plus a dvd recorder (DMR-E85EB 80Gb) offer for + £100

27. redface

redface
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AV Sales offer is really very good.

28. redface

redface
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW if anyone wants to get the screen from AV Sales but doesnt want the DVD recorder, if you buy it (Multiregion please) Ill take it off your hands for £150. Email or PM if interested. (Alistair if you get someone buying the screen that doesnt want the DVD Recorder feel free to email me and Ill take one of the boxes.)

29. nick901

nick901
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been speaking to a guy a RS and he says the spec that has been published for these is incorrect, he says the contrast is 2000:1 and not 4000:1 and the resolution is not correct, could this be why they are being sold cheap????
    Any thoughts, sounds full of sh** but ??

30. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i bet there are a few peed off new owners.....

ad