• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Panny BD50 2.0 profile and Sharp player announced at CES

ani4ani

Not entirely on topic, but related.

There is some pretty good stuff coming out of the CES press releases thus far.

Sharp and Panasonic both announce new BD players, particularly interesting is that the new BD50 is Profile 2:0!

Sharp said that worldwide shipments of LCD's [not plasmas] was 74 million in 2007 and forecasted to be 96 million in 2008 - planty of potential HD customers there.

Lots of very thin [1"] Plasmas and LCD's on display..

lfletcher

Appears that Panasonic have just announced the first profile 2.0 player at CES. It will internally decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA, no info about pricing or availability.

Hopefully this will be the first of many profile 2 players that can decode the full suite of audio codecs.

edit: some info and pic here, http://www.formatwarcentral.com/ and here, http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/specs-from-panasonics-new-dmp-bd50/

2nd edit: here's the press release, http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...8065621607&surfModel=Content01052008065621607

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Just goes to show you how third world we are at the mo with these stand alone players!!

The BD30 hasn't made it to these shores yet has it??

Do you reckon that is BD30 tweaked a little under the bonnet to make it 2.0?

D

Deleted member 92943

If Samsung announce a nice 2.0 compliant player for around £300 i'll be tempted:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 92943

Well they have just announced a new 1.1 player :rolleyes:. It doesn't state if it just needs a firmware upgrade for 2.0

See thread elsewhere in this forum

Just seen that. As it's only 1.1 compliant, i'll pick up a 40GB PS3 as soon as i can considering it will recieve an udate to 2.0 at some point

ani4ani

Philips have also just announced a new 1.1 compliant players - its a bit of a looker imo. Has a low retail price too, $349

Panasonic are also releasing a "home theatre in a box" also 1.1 compliant

Sharp too, i.e. every BDA manufacturer has a 1.1 compliant player? - is that now the case?

Sonic67

Banned
Is the Sharp player $699! Do they think they are a premium brand now? The Samsung dual player is $599. The Philips is $349.

Drongo

Distinguished Member
The Panasonic looks like a nice machine – finally a BD Live player. :thumbsup:

This is a long, long overdue arrival for the format – whenever it eventually arrives.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
I posted this in the Funai thread but I think it's very relevant here too...

In reality it's shaping up that profile 2.0 only adds network capability, so not necessarily a big loss, especially when...

To be compliant with storage requirements for profile 1.1, most manufacturers seem to be doing this by adding an SD card slot. It seems the player does not have to have 256MB of storage built in, but the capability to have 256MB. Subtle but important difference.

Now that might look like a con at first glance and no doubt some will say it is, however, 256MB isn't much and even 1GB (profile 2.0) can look poor so making it a user choice means you can use larger amounts if possible. It also means you can still potentially download extras to an SD card from a PC and still use them in a 1.1 player.

So, unless you want your player connected, you may not miss out on as much as you think with a 1.1 player. Who knows though?

I would have thought any 1.1 player with an SD card (or similar) slot and an ethernet port could be made 2.0 compliant quite easily. The hard bit was dual video decoders which is common to both.

This is of course a guess, but aside from extra memory (do-able via SD) and an ethernet port, profile 2.0 requires no additional hardware. Will be interesting to see if that does indeed pan out.

dazm41

if panasonic are realeasing the bd50 i wonder if we will see the bd30 on the uk shores.:hiya:

theo cupier

Apart from the Panny BD50, do any of these decode HD audio onboard and send it to the amp via analog connectors, or are they HDMI / bitstream only?

mremulator

Panasonic want to get 1.1 working properly first!

I just got my first 1.1 disc today and the player chokes when using PIP. :thumbsdow

lfletcher

Apart from the Panny BD50, do any of these decode HD audio onboard and send it to the amp via analog connectors, or are they HDMI / bitstream only?
At this moment in time the Panasonic is the only player that will decode DTS HD MA and output over analogue. Most players decode TrueHD, but more discs use DTS HD MA on BD (all the Fox releases for instance). The new Denon player, which is supposed to be out in January in the US will also decode DTS HD MA apparently.

ani4ani

I have just been reading that Panasonic have just demonstrated a BDP 30 playing Blu-ray content on a 1080P panel without a cable, i.e. wireless BD, which will be launched early next year.

Apparently with zero quality loss...I can dream of a new projector without digging up 1/2 my living room up to run [modern] cables!

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
At this moment in time the Panasonic is the only player that will decode DTS HD MA and output over analogue. Most players decode TrueHD, but more discs use DTS HD MA on BD (all the Fox releases for instance). The new Denon player, which is supposed to be out in January in the US will also decode DTS HD MA apparently.
The Denon 3800 is the other not here yet player that is supposed to do in player MA decoding to analogue. Not 2.0 compliant though.

theo cupier

Thanks for that bit of info, didn't realise there was a bias towards DTSMA on this side of the fence, was assuming that TrueHD was the main flavour of the month, as with HD DVD...

So presumably, to get equivalent coverage for audio in BD as I get with my EP35 HD player, I need DD+, TrueHD, DTSMA and Uncompressed PCM to be decoded in the player and sent via analog, yes?

Roll on the BD50 and that Denon, then.

lfletcher

So presumably, to get equivalent coverage for audio in BD as I get with my EP35 HD player, I need DD+, TrueHD, DTSMA and Uncompressed PCM to be decoded in the player and sent via analog, yes?
Yes, kinda. DD+ isn't the same beast on BD as it is on HD-DVD (it's > 5 channels only for a start), and I don't believe there is a single disk available which has DD+ on it for Blu-Ray. The equivalent Blu-Ray track for a HD-DVD DD+ one tends to be a Dolby Digital one at 640kbps.

The 3 main ones you need to worry about are PCM, TrueHD and DTS HD MA. PCM is on the vast majority of disks, followed by DTS HD MA and then TrueHD. Pretty much all players decode PCM and TrueHD, but DTS HD MA is only coming along (via analogue outs) with the recent announcements.

So roll on the BD50 as you say :smashin:

ani4ani

excuse me for the silly question - what does it mean 'decode HD audio onboard'? you do not need an amp who can do it?

It means that all the audio is decoded within the player and sent to the AMP for amplification only. Alternatively, when it is not decoded onboard, it sends the information to the AMP for decoding and amplification.

tausifs

maybe i missed it, but i didn't see the panny link categorically state dtsMA would be available over analogs. it is internally decoded ok ? and at least available over hdmi.

is it definitely true that the denon will output dtsMA over analogs ?

i know people can roll their eyes at this but i don't mean to play the devils advocate. it seems to me its the ce manufacturers that can put out curiously coy product descriptions - and the devil is in the detail as they say.

i would happily stand corrected if i could see the direct quote.

andythescientis

Hopefully that panny might be here by Q4 this year, i can then have a BD player to match up with my ep35 specs. It'll be really interesting how much this appears for, for essentially only adding a $20 ethernet port, i'll be really dissapointed if they stick £200 on the price of the 1.1 player.

Krobar

Hopefully that panny might be here by Q4 this year, i can then have a BD player to match up with my ep35 specs. It'll be really interesting how much this appears for, for essentially only adding a $20 ethernet port, i'll be really dissapointed if they stick £200 on the price of the 1.1 player.

The main of the cost increase will likely come from the addition of lossless audio format decoding on board.

theo cupier

maybe i missed it, but i didn't see the panny link categorically state dtsMA would be available over analogs. it is internally decoded ok ? and at least available over hdmi.

is it definitely true that the denon will output dtsMA over analogs ?

i know people can roll their eyes at this but i don't mean to play the devils advocate. it seems to me its the ce manufacturers that can put out curiously coy product descriptions - and the devil is in the detail as they say.

i would happily stand corrected if i could see the direct quote.

Not sure I can point to the exact wording and after the situation with the BD30, you're right to add caution.

As someone preparing to throw his HD DVD hardware and software out now (whilst there's still value left in the movies and Amazon will still take back the player) I guess I'm probably getting too eager to jump straight into bed with BD - hoping there is a player as "finished" in terms of functionality as the EP35 and that the retail price will be comparable!

In reality, I think I'll end up sitting on my money for a while and watching with interest (and nurturing my SD DVD collection and player!) unless there are some real surprises from BD manufacturers, soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom