1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new panny 6 series

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scotstevie, Jul 18, 2003.

1. scotstevie

scotstevie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: hi folks i have just gone and ordered the new panny 6 not got a delivery date as yet but can anyone help with the best place and cheapest to buy the wall bracket and maybe a pedastool stand your help would be very much appreciated

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Did the dealer you bought the plasma from not advise you?

I'm getting my wall bracket from The Media Factory. I've gone for the unicol one.

Cheers,
    Liam

P.S. should have my panny 6 early next week.

3. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny 6 arrived on Thursday and yesterday we put it up on the wall. I'm using the Unicol PTX bracket (the one that tilts).
    It's awesome !

:clap:

I'm gonna take some photos and will do a full report later !

4. scotstevie

scotstevie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply,were did you buy the bracket and if you dont mind how much did it cost you .do you think the tilting bracket is better.talk to you soon. steve

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I went along to av-sales on Thursday evening (thanks Liam !) to check out the new Panny 6 - and came home with one in the back of the car :clap:

Still haven't got around to going setting it up properly (Avia dvd) 'cos I've been too busy watching it, but then it is damn good out of the box.

Av-sales were demoing it against the panny 5. There's not a lot in it. I don't take the 3000:1 vs 4000:1 contrast too seriously. There was a visible difference between the two, but not as large as the numbers might suggest.

We spent about an hour or so comparing the two, looking at Sky digital and various DVDs. The 6 series, as you'd expect, was better all round as far as I could tell - constrast was improved, and the internal processing enhancements seemed to deliver a better picture.

Critically, the series 6 doesn't flicker. Caveat: I've never really noticed the series 5 flicker except out of the corner of my eye - but I could see it, and the 6 didn't display the same problem. I think everyone at the demo agreed on that.

So it's a definate improvement. I'm well pleased. Do the improvements counter the current bargain-basement deals on the 5 series ? That's too close to call.

Cheers, Carl.

6. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ROFL! That's always the danger when you go to demo something, but I envy you dude. I'm currently saving for one of these (if it was only the price of the screen, I could possibly afford it now, but you have to budget for extras which means I can't buy yet).
    Would loved to have seen one in the flesh, but I'm scared I'd do the same as you!

:lesson:

7. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    cwick
    I decided to view the panasonic-6 in advance on Tuesday and agree with your comments.
    As far as flicker goes I must say it's a personal thing.
    Many people never notice it.
    I find I can not see it apart from from the corner of my eye also, but after a while I find it tiring.
    I recently had my work monitor changed, after 1 hour I thought theres something wrong here I'm getting a headache (only 17" screen). I found the refresh rate was 60Hz.

Did Liam use the JSim scart to component converter ?
    This appeared to me to improve the picture slightly, not that the original picture was not very good.
    It's the first time I've seen a screen out-of-the-box look very very good.

I would have brought one home too, but I am under instructions to get a silver surround ! So now starts the wait.

Steve.

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Steve,

There was a JSim scart-component jobbie in the chain somewhere (for the Sky feed if I remember correctly) - apparently the JSim converter does a marginally better job that the Scart card that can be fitted to the 6.

I went for a component card for my DVD connection, and a scart card for Freeview. Have to say I've been suprised at the quality of the picture I'm getting for Freeview. I was expecting pixelation and artifacts, but I'm not getting it. Apart from some solarisation on lower-bandwidth channels, I really can't fault the picture. Jurassic Park's on just now ... looks superb :smoke:

Cheers, Carl.

9. scotstevie

scotstevie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know if the new panny is available in silver as yet.and best place to buy wall brackets