• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Panels with Downward-Firing Speakers

HenryHonda

Established Member
In the process of considering Panasonic's new G10 and V10 series as a Full-HD replacement for my trusty Panny PV500, I've just realised that recent panels (both plasma and LCD/LED) fitted with downward-firing speakers are going to cause problems for folks like me who rely on undermounted front LCR speaker arrays (see photo).

In my case, it's an Audica unit (and very good it is too, given the separation limitations!) - but there are a number of others in use (from the likes of Polk etc).

The undermount units are obviously going to block/distort the sound from the TV speakers directly above... I know that I could take the optical feed from the TV into my receiver - and then to the LCR and surrounds - but I'm sure I'm not on my own in having an 'other half' who insists that she will only turn the TV on to watch it - not "..faff about.." getting the receiver switched on etc. :rolleyes: I've not yet got around to programming the Pronto to do the faffing about for her!

Anyone in the same situation - or even got one such new model with the same configuration? Can you still hear decent TV sound - have you solved the issue some other way?

(BTW - my panel is suspended from a fully-articulated Future Automation wall bracket - so not easy to drop the LCR unit much further. Note also the depth of the PV500 casing at the bottom, giving impressive low frequency performance from the separate TV LF units - something we're unlikely to benefit from in the future with ever-decreasing TV thickness!)

Attachments

• USpkr.jpg
    USpkr.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom